Soap Openings: Past and Present

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved this one. So grand, so majestic...so ATWT. ATWT and GL should have swapped their 2002 theme music. ATWT had that beautiful sweeping music in the 70s.

I believe DaytimeFan mentioned the Y&R open with Kay getting a necklace put on her by Rex. That's the one I remember the most from my childhood:

And I also love the one with Nikki turning to face the camera at the very end. The look on her face just screams "Oh yeah, time for teh dramaaaaa":

• Members

One of my favorites, a piano version of One Life to Live's 1996 opening. I think the opening sequence itself would be more fitting for OLTL now, rather than the 80s one, since this one is more in tune with the urban feel the show has for itself now.

Piano Version of OLTL 1996 Opening

A more recent opening that I've liked a whole lot is the ATWT opening from 2008, most notably the music. I'm not so much of a fan of the opening sequence itself though.

This opening sequence piques my curiosity....lol I wonder if the show instituted more action clips into this opening from 1985 bc it was around the time the hsow was slipping in ratings? :lol: Either way, I have always been in love with the theme song.

• Members

ARCHAIC!?

:P

Kevin Stapleton had the goofiest expression in that opening, like he was saying, "Ohhhh yeahhhh..." I liked Dorian's Dixie Carter in Ray Charles opening of Designing Women ticky neck thing with that small shot of her doing her Titania "Come, sit thee down upon this flowery bed while I thy amiable cheeks do coy..."

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Sandy Dvore KL opening, that painting is so my '80s taste. Maybe I was projecting, but I like to go deep with it and think it's an impressionist take on an aerial shot of Knots Landing (not the cul-de-sac). Sandy actually threw that painting in the trash and kept working when his lady friend said she liked it and he went and dug it out of the garbage.

Oh, and I wouldn't call it watercolor, he squeezed acrylics out of their tubes.

• Members

I'm not sure if OLTL is that urban these days, although anything would be better than the opening they have now, which I cannot remember "atall".

Here's the original version of that GL theme.

GL had some great openings, and such a legacy. GL had such strong, complex characters! Even looking at Alex or India I just flash back and back and back.

• Members

I liked all of the "My Guiding Light" openings, though my least favorite was what they call the "popcorn" version of the theme (upbeat synth guitar with the harp strums, first few notes sound like farts to me).

I liked this one, I think the last before HOTL. Though this isn't my favorite picture montage, there's one where Beverlee is smiling and turns around.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Members

I liked that original opening, it's too bad they had such cast turnover that they had to take almost everyone out of it and stayed with just Maeve and Johnny for 4+ years.

The 1980-83 episode was nice but I was always annoyed at the lack of cast members. For years I was sure I saw a cast member in there somewhere.

Archived