2010 Winter Olympics

Toups

• Members

I'm weird when it comes to the Olympics, I always root for who I consider the best athletes, rather than side along nationality lines like most people do.

The USA Hockey team was great and played a great game, but hockey means so much to Canada and I was happy to see them take Gold.

I have a very British sense of "patriotism," which might come from my British family. Eh, you'll find out when the 2012 Summer Games take place in London, where I'll probably be living in by then. :lol:

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Dude, they did it!!!!! My God, what a game!! Man, the last two games have not been kind to my heart. I couldn't believe USA scored with 24 seconds left - talk about a moment was shock and disbelief and anger. During the intermission it was all, "Damn Babcock! Why did he call that timeout? That made so sense." "It's Crosby's fault, if only he scored on that breakaway." "No, it was Heatley's fault, how the hell could he miss that shot. Just shoot the puck high!" "I can't believe we hit two posts!" And then during the overtime, my heart constantly beating so rapidly, leaving towards the television....Canada was bringing it during that OT....and then "Oh no, Neidermeyer coughed up the puck! Nice save Luongo." Then, "What are you doing, Crosby, trying to go through four guys!"....."Crosby's open!!!!" And then finally the GOLDEN GOAL! "YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -- jumping in the air. It was madness! LOL I loved seeing the huge crowds all across Canada reacting and celebrating to the win. That shot of people body surfing in Toronto was awesome!

This Winter Olympics have been the best ever. I am definitely going to buy the compilation Blu-Ray discs now. I want my future kids to see these Olympic games and of course I want to relive it myself. :) 14 Gold medals - the most ever by a country. Unbelievable. Way to go Canada! So proud to be a Canadian.

• Members

Congratulations Canada on winning the hockey game and on winning the most gold medals.

Here's an unpopular opinion about these games, I thought Alexandre Bilodeau should have been the flag bearer for the closing games and not Joannie Rochette.

• Members

Congrats Canada for winning most gold medals :)

I knew from the start that my home country (Germany) wouldn't lead the medal table this time, although all in all we won one medal more than we did in 2006 – 30. ;)

I'm also happy for Norway and Switzerland. :)

For me, the most exciting tournament was the women's team pursuit in speed skating. First Netherlands vs. Germany – neighboring countries competing against each other is always nerve-wracking. Then USA vs. Germany, where Anni Friesinger-Postma stumbled in the last curve and literally swam over the finish line. And finally Japan vs. Germany which was such a close race. I was also glad that Poland won the bronze medal.

I totally agree. Of course it's great if your own countries' athletes do well, but it's only fair to honor the achivements of other countries' athletes as well because everyone of them is doing their best.

• Members

I ordered the compilation discs too... CTV won. I want to be able to relive these moments over and over again. It was such an amazing games capped off by the amazing OT thriller of a gold medal game. I was so deflated after that late third period USA goal. To be 24 seconds away from a GOLD medal and then to be tied.... it hurt and I honestly thought the USA with the momentum going into OT would have it.... not to be. Heart stopping, but I can't describe in words how I felt when I saw Crosby score that goal... Iginla was down on his knees and he fought to pass it. Miller had no chance.

The USA played an excellent tournament though, there was nothing more they really could have done. It was so much better than the Gold game from 2002 where Canada had it in the bag basically the whole game. Even when we were up 2-0, I was in no way comfortable.

• Members

Agreed--I wasn't a big fan of the closing ceremonies (I just hope the rest of the world realized the giant beavers etc were *jokes*--I've read a few American blog posts that left me wondering) but overall really well done.

I was there for two days this week and had a great time--so I found this article from Time magazine a bit silly (especially considering there were no serious problems--and Vancouver was trying to get over a reputation it has for being a "no fun city" with very little allowed in terms of street partying) A Gold in Drinking

• Members

Seriously? I wasn't even there but all I know is that Vancouver has leap-frogged to the top of my "Next Vacation" list (I went YEARS ago but I was only kid then). If I were ever offered a job there, I would seriously consider taking it.

• Members

When my brother read the article he said the reporter just needed a drink (it's true he seems to be going out of his way to comment on every glass of beer he sees--there was no major violence like when Van had their infamous 1994 hockey riots--which is what caused Van to be weary of such gatherings in the first place).

Vancouver's an awesome city--and I think the games have done a lot for its rep (certainly few Olympic cities have been so photogenic, between the ocean and the mountains, in a while). I admit it's been fun living on vancouver Island during all the excitement.

• Members

The closing ceremonies I also thought were a bit off, but usually closing ceremonies are write offs.... I enjoyed all the formalities (speeches, athletes walking in together and some of the performances), but overall they were weak and rather cheesy.

Hedley, Nickelback? Eva Avila :unsure: ?

Archived