Jump to content
Sylph

HBO: Game of Thrones

Recommended Posts

@ChitHappens @Antoyne

 

I mean, would it have been nice to see Cersei suffer/tortured a little before her death? Sure. But was it HUGE poetic justice, not to mention ironic, that the symbol of her power, what she fought so evilly to keep in control of, literally came crashing down on her? ABSOLUTELY. Delicious. Delicious!

 

 

9 hours ago, Antoyne said:
9 hours ago, ChitHappens said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Vee said:

I knew she'd do it. People who are complaining about Daenerys this season were never paying attention.

 

I think everyone knew that she could do it, it's just the way in which it was done, which was so surprising. D&D pretty much gave her no cover, and forced her to become the villain of the series. They could have had Cersei refuse to surrender - that would have more or less been in character, and that would have made her actions a bit more morally grey, but it's clear they wanted to make her the Mad Queen 2.0, and they needed her to be unjustifiable in this. There's no where else for the character to go at this point. They boxed her into a corner and have now thrown her away. They pretty much ruined the chance for plausible deniability for her, and can't salvage anything left of her character. It's tragic, and crazy unfortunate, being how hugely popular Daenerys is for the show. Sad to see that this is how GRRM sees the character. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never expected her to have cover or moral grayness for this. That doesn't bother me. I feel the change was a bit rushed (though not in just two episodes), but I think she was always going to end as the villain.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Skin said:

 

I think everyone knew that she could do it, it's just the way in which it was done, which was so surprising. D&D pretty much gave her no cover, and forced her to become the villain of the series. They could have had Cersei refuse to surrender - that would have more or less been in character, and that would have made her actions a bit more morally grey, but it's clear they wanted to make her the Mad Queen 2.0, and they needed her to be unjustifiable in this. There's no where else for the character to go at this point. They boxed her into a corner and have now thrown her away. They pretty much ruined the chance for plausible deniability for her, and can't salvage anything left of her character. It's tragic, and crazy unfortunate, being how hugely popular Daenerys is for the show. Sad to see that this is how GRRM sees the character. 

 

I think GRRM would likely flesh her reasons out more if this is the route they go down. From what some book devotees have said, there's a good chance her story there will have many different turns anyway - for instance, some of them feel Missandei (who is much younger in the books) is a spy. 

 

It seems like D&D are doing what they've done for years, are sort of grinding out story beats they think fans want to see, or for the sake of "moments," whether the moments are earned or not. The Hound telling Arya that she must not choose vengeance and must now move on, even though Arya has already slaughtered countless people, including nearly an entire family (the Freys), and logically is long past the point of her "father" telling her to be a good person. Or Jaime deflowering Brienne and then dumping her to go die with Cersei. It makes sense that he would want to go die with Cersei, but why was there ever a need for any of that with Brienne? Was it supposed to be a sop to "Bramie" (or whatever they are called) fans? Was it meant to be some kind of added pathos? Was it supposed to be a fakeout? Would the story have lost anything if Jaime and Brienne had remained platonic and Jaime had simply left a pining and stoic Brienne at Winterfell as he went to die? And then there's Jon, who has no real voice or role beyond, I guess, waiting around to kill Dany? 

 

I've seen a lot of fans saying they don't care what Dany did and they were fine with her killing thousands. That makes sense, in a way, because they know her, they don't know extras and bit players, but it also shows how hollow many of the emotions and characters and constructs have become when more people don't react to what is a grotesque war crime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cheap21 said:

So who's gonna kill Daneyrys bc after last episode, the crazy bitch needs to die

 

It has to be Jon because you know Dany is coming for Sansa.  Somehow, Tyrion will survive all of this.  I just feel it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DRW50 said:

I've seen a lot of fans saying they don't care what Dany did and they were fine with her killing thousands. That makes sense, in a way, because they know her, they don't know extras and bit players, but it also shows how hollow many of the emotions and characters and constructs have become when more people don't react to what is a grotesque war crime. 

 

Isn't that a very common reaction nowadays though? A lof of people have their favourites, whether it's characters or pairings, and they excuse any behaviour from them and support them no matter what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly.


I have my complaints about the last few seasons, and the ending and certainly this season is far from perfect. (The Jaime/Brienne thing was very poorly handled, as was the conclusion with him and Cersei IMO; kind of just tossed off.) But most of the fan rage over episode 3 was fans complaining that the end of the show/White Walkers did not match their fanfic - they expected the show to come down to an epic battle between Jon/Dany ('good') and the White Walkers ('bad'), and felt cheated out of that, to say nothing of the alt right creeps whining that Arya did it. But that was never going to happen. The ending was always going to be between actual people.

 

The complaints about last night are that Daenerys' turn was either OOC or unearned. I completely disagree. It's been set up for years, and built more in the last few seasons. Was it a bit rushed this year, maybe, but certainly not 'out of nowhere'. It is also very likely what Martin had planned all along.

 

People got high on their fanbases over the characters and lost sight of who Daenerys really is and what the show is really about. All they know now is their fanbase loyalties and their headcanon version of the ending. (Which is another reason I was happy the Hound convinced Arya to turn back and let it go - making her fulfill her fantasy revenge quest which got stale years ago outside of diehard fans would've just been fan service, and the truer path for Arya is to continue going back to being a human being, which is what she's spent this season and the last two doing.)

 

Cleganebowl, BTW, was stupid. I had no interest in that.

Edited by Vee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This season has felt unbelievably rushed and now it all makes sense, what with the show runners helming the next Star Wars film. Its obvious these guys haven’t a clue what to do since they’ve run out of source material. Sure they have the blueprints but when not one of your actors can honesty say anything good about the way this show ends you know we have a problem. Which is a shame because everything else on this show from the acting, to the cinematography, to the music is outstanding! Bad writing and pacing is dragging down what should’ve been an incredible final season to one of my favorite shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MrPrezident said:

This season has felt unbelievably rushed and now it all makes sense, what with the show runners helming the next Star Wars film. Its obvious these guys haven’t a clue what to do since they’ve run out of source material. Sure they have the blueprints but when not one of your actors can honesty say anything good about the way this show ends you know we have a problem. Which is a shame because everything else on this show from the acting, to the cinematography, to the music is outstanding! Bad writing and pacing is dragging down what should’ve been an incredible final season to one of my favorite shows.

 

Yep, when I read that yesterday, it all made sense.  DD were offered more time for the final season, but they refused.  They were ready to move on to their next project and leave GOT in the dust.  Sad that folks don't value their work anymore.  An epic series deserves and epic ending!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:43 AM, MrPrezident said:

This season has felt unbelievably rushed and now it all makes sense, what with the show runners helming the next Star Wars film. Its obvious these guys haven’t a clue what to do since they’ve run out of source material. Sure they have the blueprints but when not one of your actors can honesty say anything good about the way this show ends you know we have a problem. Which is a shame because everything else on this show from the acting, to the cinematography, to the music is outstanding! Bad writing and pacing is dragging down what should’ve been an incredible final season to one of my favorite shows.

 

Sophie seems tickled pink with this season from her interviews. 

Edited by Skin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's quite funny and charming. You tell 'em, Grey Worm!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I first saw him outside of Game of Thrones promoting his music on Graham Norton and he was great there too. Plus, it's always nice to see someone escape from The View - almost as hard as staying alive in GoT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...