HBO: Game of Thrones

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I take any excuse to post about Jane Campion's Top of the Lake anywhere I can. This is the first trailer for the second series, which features Gwendoline Christie and stars Elisabeth Moss and Nicole Kidman.

I think the first series is still on streaming in America, either Netflix or Amazon, featuring Moss and Holly Hunter. It's a great show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

S07E01... So, don't proceed if you haven't watched.

What a GREAT cold open. To think it wasn't even planned to be the first scene... but so marvelously done. I did not expect to see old Frey again, but this was amazing. And what a great cameo of Ed Sheeran. His singing really was wonderful. If you're going to do stunt casting, this is how you do it. It was a perfect fit. That entire sequence was a surprise. You could see the shock in Arya to see them be so kind.

The conflict between Sansa and Jon is so fascinating, juicy. There's clearly love there, but also a lot of complicated family feelings, and they're BOTH right and wrong. You can see both their POV. This is going to be great, but I do hope they don't end up too far apart.

Boy, they really did try me with 2 minutes of Sam cleaning shιt and almost puking, but it paid off, as it showed his intimate knowledge of the citadel and therefore ability to gain access to the restricted section (echoes of Harry Potter! ha!). It's clear convincing everyone to help him will require work. Glad he discovered the location of the dragonglass, although with Dany there, Jon might have trouble gaining access. And what a shock -- Jorah is there! I did not see that coming.

The Hound's journey of guilt was also very fascinating. Such an unexpected turn for him. 

The writing is very deep & complicated for Cersei, especially when she bitterly asked Jaime if she was supposed to mourn her lost children. If she allows herself to do that, she'll probably never recover. And Euron is just fun. His proposal scene was equally dangerous and funny. 

Tormund & Brienne forever, of course.

What a great pay off to see Dany finally reach her home. That wonderfully produced sequence, stunning in its magnitude. I love how silent it all was, until the very end.

It's back!

• Members

Can't believe I didn't even recognize Jim Broadbent as Archmaester Marwyn! Very good.

Still in awe of the fantastic set design for Dragonstone's throne room. Like something right out of Lord of the Ring's Moria.

• Members

Liveblogging:

That cold opening with House Frey and Arya was the most satisfying thing she's done on the show in years - I was not a fan of the Faceless Men story. It earned the Red Wedding callback.

It's a pity Carl doesn't watch anymore as I find this debate between Jon and Sansa (in public, unwisely) over the Karstarks and Umbers to be a difficult one to make a call on. Both sides are very legitimate. Sansa has a very good point, but IIRC her thinking re: traitors or disloyalty is what doomed Robb with the Karstarks. They need every hand they can get, it might be more prudent to settle the traitors after the winter.

#justice4wunwun

Poor little Ned and Alice! I didn't realize that the only surviving heirs to those Houses were blameless children.

"You need to be smarter than Father. You need to be smarter than Robb. I loved them and I miss them but they made stupid mistakes." Sophie Turner and Kit should have had this many scenes like they've had in the last year-plus long ago. They are great together.

And the interesting admission about Cersei, which reminds me of a scene between the two I think I vaguely remember in S2, maybe before the battle with Stannis? "I learned a great deal from her."

Edited by Vee