Serial killer stories

• Members

I don't know if there's a need to ask for best or worst of this type of story, since we know many of the highest profile stories (Loving murders, DAYS and the Slasher/Stalker/Strangler), but are there any good or memorable (perhaps not in a good way) serial killer stories you don't hear that much talk about?

I know AW had their Sin Stalker story which I haven't seen much of, I've only seen Crystal Gayle trying to fight off the killer. Was the story as misogynist as it reads?

I also read about a serial killer story on Search for Tomorrow in 1986, which seemed to be one of the last gasps of the show.

And then GL had, I guess, some attempt at a serial killer story in 2003 when various bit players were killed. The killer was Ben Reade, in a lovely story which told us that being sexually abused = being a murderer. The main thing that story killed was any last love I had left for GL.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There was a serial killer story on SEARCH? Hmm details?

I think it was 2003/2004 was when soaps tried to revive the serial killer plot as a way to garner viewers. GL, ATWT, GH, DAYS, and OLTL all seemed to have one in the span of a year. It was really ridiculous and depressing.

• Members

I think they did that to try to ape DAYS. ATWT's I don't remember that much, wasn't it patients in the hospital? OLTL had, what, two or three in the space of a few years?

I know AW also had a few in the mid-90s, during JFP's watch. The main purpose seemed to be, as with most of the murder mysteries on GH this decade, an excuse to slaughter female characters. To think Bridget died in one of those :(

The one on SFT was mentioned in the Search thread a few days ago. Stephanie Wyatt and Jo's granddaughter were killed, I'm not sure if anyone else was.

• Members

The Matthew Ashford one with Gabrielle and the toilet one, the Marcie one they used as an excuse to kill off all the college age recurring characters (did any survive other than the gay one?). The Daniel Coulson mess, which I guess was the biggest "success", given the ratings boost. And then KAD.

At least there was a gap of a few years.

• Members

Yeah just to be clear I was exagerating :P Still, if I was EP I woulda said no to another serial killer story so soon. Similarly I can't believe they decided to spice The City's ratings up so early on with he Masquerade Killings which essentially felt like an inferior retread of the Loving Murders (and since they were by the same writers and EP they basically were). The City didn't really get good, IMHo till it foudn its style after that, though some of the killings were entertaining.

• Members

I know you were exaggerating, I was just adding up because they did have serial killer stories back to back for about two years.

The Masquerader stuff had some good moments but I agree it was a mistake right after the Loving murders. The stakes were not high enough compared to that story. They killed off a few minor characters and Ally ate some bad sushi.

• Members

ATWT's serial killer, Rick Decker was played by John James who fabulously hammed it up. Rick Decker killed patients and doctors at the hospital and duped Susan into marrying him. He then got close to Barbara when they were both in the mental institution. I love that story. I laughed through most of it.

• Members

Yes, that was under Valentini as well (unless you mean 90s Malone) and is included in what I meant :P (maybe you thoguth I said Carlivati but I was meaning the whole Valentini regime) I actually read the Killing whatever--Marcie's tie in book that Malone and Griffith ghost wrote--it's not bad at all (Malone is a great novelist so he prob cranked it out in his sleep) but I had NO clue how the murders on the show connected to those in the book, though part of that is the fault that Higley carried on the plot on the show not him.

• Members

Am I right in saying that the Salem Strangler was the first serial killer story?

It broke new ground,but like so many other soap stories was done to death.

A short time later Days tried again with the Salem Slasher and then there was the Riverfront Knifer etc.

How long before Y&R does one?

Let's see-Jill,Nikki,Paul become victims and the killer is Nina.

Archived