AMC Monday 12/28/09

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know if the problem with Tad was using him too much, or just awful writing. He was heavily used for most of the 80s, and then again from 1993 on, but it was only starting about 5-10 years ago that he began to seem so worthless as a character. It's the endless sanctimony, the hypocrisy, lack of perspective, the way the show killed off so many people to give Tad his miracle baby and he proceeds to barely spend time with her. The horrific crimes Tad committed, or enabled, and never showed more than a flicker of remorse for, all while judging everyone else if they breathe at the wrong time. And MEK has lost some of his spark and hasn't had any chemistry with a love interest in some time.

• Members

Woohoo!!! Yep, they are morons and thankfully they won't be around much longer! :D

I hate how he decided to leave them on Christmas Day. I really was glad to see Joe & Ruth have one final Pine Valley Christmas, but my happiness was diluted by Joe urging Tad to abandon his kids and go chasing after evil David. WTF!

It was definitely the writing for the last 5 years or so. Tad never used to be so sanctimonious, self-centered and annoying. I'm optimistic that Lorraine Broderick will be able to salvage this character and hopefully find him a love interest he actually has sparks with (I really thought he had chemistry with Taylor and less so with Liza but she's better than Krystal again).

• Members

That's the thing that gets me pissed off more than anything. That self-righteous, hypocritical, talkin' outta both sides of his mouth JUDGMENT! He does this way too much and it's absolutely obnoxious! This episode is the epitome! He tells Jake to stop obsessing over David and not let it ruin Jake's holiday with his wife and child -- and then five seconds later is trying to figure out a way to ditch his daughters and family ON CHRISTMAS DAY to go chase after David! All of this whining and moaning about how they don't want Joe and Ruth to leave for Florida -- but then bolts on their last Christmas Day in Pine Valley!

And I hated how Joe, as usual, enabled his son's irrational obsession. Saying how Tad's doing this for the family and his daughters. How does David taking off to Gloucester immediately translate into something that's going to harm the Martin family? When was the last time David even showed an interest in any of those dreadful Martin daughters? He hasn't even mentioned Kathy since before he left town in 2006. And he hasn't even cared about that screaming banshee Jenny since Krustal left him. These idiots are just paranoid! They realize they rattle David's cage every chance they get, constantly poking and prodding and trying to "stick it" to him, that every move David makes, they fear it's in direct retaliation to them!

That's why I LOVE watching Adam and David go up against each other. It's an honest, level playing field as one can get with two master manipulators/deceivers. They are both up front with the fact that they're not angels, and they're both up front with the fact that they'll do whatever it takes to come out on top. For me, with them, it's the fun of watching and waiting to see who WILL win. With Martins vs. David, it's no contest. I want David to win every single time. There's no suspense, there's no anticipation. I just want David to snuff 'em out and keep it moving, getting on to something more interesting.

I disagree. Tad's been sanctimonious since the late 1990's. It was around 1998 when he started getting a little too "involved" in Adam and Liza's marriage. That's where it began and just progressively got worse. Among many things, I can never "forgive" him for filling JR's head with comparisons of Adam to Ray Gardner, to the point where JR ran away and had nightmares (trying not to laugh) of Ray Gardner in a silver hairpiece saying "I'm yo daddy now, boy!" Tad's just been a mess for the last 10 years, and now, with him LOOKING a mess and having basically no life -- be it love or any other kind -- it's even more obvious. While agree that McTavish did him no favors by making him Greg Madden's torturer/killer, that wasn't the onset.

Even worse... you like Tad and Krustal.

• Members

That makes three of us. Still like MEK too, but like MEK more than Tad. He has been losing some weight though and an anticipated reunion with Liza looks like it could be interesting...one problem with Tad is he was part of a supercouple and until he finds that kind of chemistry again, he will falter. This leaves him nothing to do but meddle in others' stories. Unfortunately, this meddling has been written as sanctimonious grandstanding for the last 7-8 years.

He's a CAD, not a murderer...let's hope Broderick and her successor remember this.

• Members

He was looking a bit schlubby for a bit I admit (though in a way that doesn't bug me--people in real life--yes even Cads--start to get shlubby more often than not at his age and sometimes I get tired of the perfect looking soap cliches) but has been looking better lately (I have to admit with the dyed hair on Halloween it made a big difference). The actor is commited to the show, I agree that there's been some awful damage done to his character but I don't think its beyond repair and I find it ironic that fans of history to a show (not to point fingers, but since we nearly always agree I don't mind saying I mean CarlD specifically here :P ) want him off the show. Maybe backburnered, fine, or a changein character but I think at this point its more important than ever to keep characters with long ties to the show around, and even more so to allow them to age into the tentpole characters the show is now more without than ever--with Myrtle gone and Palmer almost gone. Frankly we can't afford to just let go of characters who could grow into that spot IMHO, and I think MEK's love for the show also speaks volumes.

Archived