Best/Worst of the 2009

• Members

Best Slaps: AMC: Erica Slapping Annie, Y & R: Phyliss Slapping Heather, DOOL: Sami Slapping Nicole, GH: Olivia, Claudia Slapping Each Other, OLTL: Tea Slapping Blair

Best Comeback: Mitch on OLTL

Most Annoying Female: DOOL: Hope Brady, Stephanie, AMC: Reese & Bianca, OLTL: Strippers, Gigi, Nora, Y & R; Lily

Most Annoying Male: AMC Jake and Tad Martin, DOOL: Lucas, OLTL: Rex, Shane, McPain, Bo, Y & R; Cane

Most Dumbest Female: AMC: Amanda

Most Boring Female: AMC: Taylor, Marissa, Y & R: Mac

Most Boring Male: AMC: Brot, Jackson, ATWT: Luke, Noah, OLTL: Kyle, Fish

Best Deaths: GH: Claudia, OLTL: JarHead

Best Guest Appearance: The Bold and The Beautiful Betty White, ATWT: Lynn Herring

Worst: GH: James Franco

Worst Storyline: ATWT: Nick is James Stenbeck, GH: Franco, AMC: Zach Giving His Swimmers To Bianca

Best Storyline: OLTL: Mitch

Best Non Couple: AMC: David and Zach

Most Missed Character: GH: Robert Scorpio, DOOL: Steve Johnson

Most Wasted Character: OLTL: Ray

Worst Couple: AMC: Ryan and Erica, Tad and Krystal

Biggest Ho: Y & R: Sharon

Best Newcomer: Y & R William Russ

24nqhjc.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ATWT:

Best Couple: Jack and Carly

Worst Couple: Alison and Casey

Best Storyline: Jack Kills Brad

Best Actor: Michael Park (Jack Snyder)

Best Actress: Terri Colombino (Katie Peretti Coleman Kasnoff Snyder Snyder)

Worst Storyline: The Pisces Twins (Zac and Zoe)

Best Over-The-Top Acting: Trent Dawson (Henry Coleman)

Worst Over-The-Top Acting: Lynn Herring (Audrey)

Best Single Moments: (Tie) Rosanna Discovers All Carly's Booze Bottles Throughout Her House/ Katie Puts Baby Jacob in Brad's Lifeless Arms

Worst Single Moments: (Tie: Craig Makes Out With The Girl He Once Thought Was His Daughter/ Zoe Tries To Seduce Luke (!)

Funniest Moment: James' Funeral

Most Improved Character: Psycho Meg

Least Improved Character: Lily Snyder (Martha, Come Home!)

• Members

I feel so awful for Douglas Marland. Look at what WT has done to Meg (not to mention, other Snyders). Eileen Fulton was right (whether or not she was being self-serving when she said it): this show was so much better when it was about "real" characters encountering real problems.

• Members

The Meg character was so boxed in after the 'Vortex of Suck' (Meg+Paul+Dusty+Damien) that TIIC had to do something fast and I guess NutMeg was the best they could come up with--better than Paul's 'brain implant'! Last year's Meg was too Splenda-sweet/whimpy, nothing like Marland's incarnation. I am okay with toying with a character's identity provided it is part of some sort of evolution/devolution. I loved Marland's work but, in my gut, am more of a Dobson fan and would love a Mr. Big redux.

As for most best/worst on ATWT:

Most improved: Allison when in a scene with Mick--she almost comes off as interesting and kind of reminds me of a young Babs when she first met James and then later when Babs had those dreams about the painting and Gunner St. Claire.

Worst Character: Mauve Stone, the redneck queen, who gave hill billy house wives a bad name.

Biggest wasted opportunity: The Z twins! The story might have worked if Zack and Zoe had been toned down; the story speed slowed so the plot could develop/unfold naturally; the attempted incest rape of Luke been removed from the story because, aside from being silly, this was loaded with some pretty tricky overtones. I am put off when writers use rape in a less than serious manner.

Best Scene: Dead Brad holding his newborn baby.

Worst Character: Janet! Julie Pinston is a good actress but Janet is all emotion and no thought. She needs to leave Oakdale and move back to her trailer park ASAP and, while at it, take her brat and sister with her.

Biggest Mistake: Sending Roseanna to Germany. I love Rosebud and wanted to see her finally end up with Paul. Business woman Roseanna and Paul were had great chem and worked really well as a pairing. I've never found any of his other romances believable. In fact, I've always thought that Paul, not Luke, should have been ATWT's gay character. I can just see him getting it on with Mason.

Most Pointless Character: Mason Jarvis--can someone plese tell me what purpose he served? I liked his acting but the Luke, Noah, Mason storyline was pointless.

• Members

Better, yes, but not by much.

Turning a character into a complete psycho smacks of two things: boredom, and laziness. If TPTB couldn't come up with anything else interesting for Meg (or didn't want to), then why not just send her out of town? As many characters as this regime has ditched over the years, it should be almost old-hat to them by now.

However, as Marland reminded us in his rules, there has to be proper motivation for it. IMO, Meg's devolution has less to do with all the drama she's endured over the years, and more to do with either 1) again, sheer laziness and/or boredom on the part of the writers; and 2) a need to make Noelle Beck's Lily look much better to a reluctant audience.

I loved both! And really, even Marland could be Dobson-esque at times. (Example? James Stenbeck's initial return from the dead, back in '87.) That being said, even the Dobsons took time to give their characters proper motivation to go or not go crazy.

I think each (progressive/liberal-minded) ATWT fans has his/her own "Should-Have-Been-Gay-Instead-of-Luke" choice. Mine's Casey, if only b/c, the Hugheses are the cornerstone of the show, and a gay Hughes would have carried tremendous impact. (Plus, it would have given more vets something to do, lol.)

• Members

And the way they tied it all into Kyle (a character I genuinely like) served no purpose IMHO--you don't give someone ties to the history of the show if they're so feeble and ill used.

The whole Powell thing (I agree that Sean did the best he could with lousy material) was Carlivati trying to remind us all that it wasn't just Todd who raped Marty-- Fine, but I think we remembered that anyway, poor Powell already had the unfortunate rapist storyline that Malone used to make Todd look liek a reformed hero, the whole mess was perhaps Carlivati's worse story (and in hindsight kinda pointless--when I look back at the show this year I always forget about it completely) of the year, which is saying something (and yet I do think OLTL prob had this year's best writing)

• Members

I would have made Casey bisexual. They had a perfect opportunity when his handsome cellmate came to Oakdale. We could have heard about the relationship they'd formed in prison and seen Casey insist it didn't go beyond prison walls, when his heart says something else.

I think Andy would have been a good candidate for a gay character. He was very mixed up when he was a teenager and there was that sense of him trying to convince himself he loved various women when I'm not sure he ever did. They even could have done a story where he fell in love with Mike Kasnoff (I can't think of any other reason why one would want to spend time with that era of Mike Kasnoff, as he mostly spent time ranting about his parole officer and pining for "Rosebud").

I never thought of Paul as gay, perhaps because I loved Paul/Emily so much. I think there's something very asexual about RH's Paul, and I have never really seen him as Paul.

• Members

I think the time they made him Rebecca's brother was when they either had no plans for Kyle or planned to make him much darker than what he became. His story with her does not match up to what came later on, which was growing up happy and in a great home with great parents.

The Powell stuff was absolutely wretched. I never knew why Talia was murdered. Was it to frame Todd? Was it to frame John?

What I hated most about that story was the whole idea of hey, let's remind people someone besides Todd raped Marty. Fine. Powell raped her, and went on to rape other women. That doesn't change the fact that Todd also raped Marty, was gleeful about it, tried to rape her again, had raped another woman before he ever met Marty, and went on to rape Marty one more time in 2008. I guess that one doesn't count since the show called it love.

It was just a terrible story, made even worse because TSJ sleptwalk throughout.

• Members

I think both of you have good ideas where Casey is concerned. I think Billy would have made it more entertaining to see than Van. Van has lost all appeal he had in this story. His acting has gotten bad and he just is blah to me now. I just cant put my finger on it but Van's lost all his luster he once had in this role.

• Members

I never understood why they didn't make Noah bisexual instead of gay. This would have opened up a lot of storyline possibilites, instead of isolating Nuke. Maddie could have become pregnant with Noah's kid, setting off a good, old-fashioned triangle.

Archived