ATWT Tribute Thread

• Members

I didn't dislike him, but I thought as he was written, the character was superfluous. I know they changed gears abruptly after the first story, where he was in love with Sam (which didn't work for me because I loved Sam/Kirk), but they should have played him up more with his family. The stuff with Mike/Carly/Rosanna was a no-win situation. I think on some level they may have wanted him with Carly, since they were both schemers, but that never developed. I also think they never did enough to explain the personality change between the old and new Scott. When he was there and did have scenes with his family it was usually something like, "Tom is the perfect son, I never was." A new viewer would think Scott and Tom were raised together, not that Lisa hadn't known Scott until a few years previous.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Here's what was happening in Oakdale april 76.

Valerie Conway is the sort of woman who knows what she wants and usually gets it. She's not used to being ignored and denied her wishes. Dan Stewart, her doctor at Memorial, doesn't care about her childish demands and treats her as he would any other patient. Does Valerie hate this treatment? Yes. Does she hate Dan? No, in fact, quite the contrary is true, she seems to be very much attracted to this young doctor. Dan, so far, is ignoring her signals.

In the "It's a small world department," Valerie's past seems to include two residents of Oakdale, and strange as it may seem both of them are part of Dan's world.

The first is Susan's new amore, Kevin Thompson. The second is Kim Dixon (her hatred of Kim runs so deep that she tells the nurses not to let Kim in her room). Valerie is about as talkative as the CIA when questioned by Dan and Susan about what these people mean to her.

For the last few weeks Natalie's been going through the motions of being an efficient wife and worker. She's been too preoccupied and on-edge to devote her full attention to both of these activities; all she can think of is: "Does Lisa know?" It's a terrible way to live one's life and Natalie half wishes it were over. Well, it seems someone has granted her wish. Bob calls and says he wants to see her; it's most urgent.

From the moment she enters Bob's office, she knows he has found out the truth about her. Bob confirms her suspicions but says he hasn't told Tom yet. He feels her husband should hear the news from her. With great conviction Bob says: "Honesty is very important to a marriage; everybody makes mistakes. Tom will understand."

Natalie is not quite so sure, she begs Bob to let things be. Bob says he can't do that, Tom may hear the "truth" from a stranger and that would be worse. Before leaving Bob's office, Natalie assures her father-in-law that she'll tell Tom.

Before taking this step, Natalie feels the dire need for advice and counsel. She takes account of all her friends in Oakdale and realizes there's only one person who would understand and that person is Jay Stallings.

Jay's not too happy about Natalie involving him in her life (he's afraid people might get the wrong idea, if they were seen together) but he can't let her down. He advises Natalie to tell her husband the truth.

Some women are born independents but Joyce Colman isn't one of them. She always needs a man to cling to and advise her. She still holds a faint hope that Grant might come back; but with each visit from her ex-husband this hope becomes fainter and fainter. To fill this man-gap in her life, Joyce is now reaching out towards Bob. His compassionate soul and platitude-filled dialogues seem to give Joyce the strength and encouragement she so sorely needs.

Natalie's Troubles

Natalie's thinking of late is, to say the least, quite cloudy. Her thoughts are quite dominated by Bob and Lisa's ultimatum: "Tell Tom or else!" She's being ripped to shreds by anxiety and fear, and this causes Natalie to make moves she would ordinarily consider out of the question -- and one of these self-damaging moves is to bring her visits to Jay right out in the open. Natalie and Jay are not having an affair, but her little visits -- and Jay's awkwardness afterwards -- make it appear as though they are. Their conspicuousness has already led Sandy and Jay's secretary to believe that Natalie and Jay are filling their lives with horizontal enrichment.

It's not horizontal enrichment, but verbal enforcement that Natalie gets from Jay. Jay convinces Natalie to tell Tom the truth. He says it's her only move.

Tom forgives Natalie for her past mistakes, but he can't forgive her for the reason why she told him at this particular time. It hurts Tom to hear his wife say it's because Lisa and Bob found out. Tom doesn't know how to cope with this and he storms out of the house.

About the only thing that isn't a secret with Valerie Conway is the reason why she came to Oakdale. Valerie tells Bob she came to their quaint little town to take care of some personal business. She inherited the Conway farm from her husband, and now she wants to sell it. She asks Bob to recommend a lawyer. Bob refers her to Grant.

Kim has explained away part of the mystery concerning her connection with Valerie. Kim tells Bob that Valerie was the sister of her first husband Jason. "I haven't seen her," Kim adds, "since Jason's funeral." Bob presses Kim for more information, but she is quite reticent saying she made a promise to Jason that she wouldn't tell anyone.

Grant's life has been touched by sadness. Mary Ellison calls him and says Brian's been involved in a tractor accident: he may be dying. Grant tells Mary he'll fly right out to Laramie.

Divorce: Crumpled Papers, Crumbled Man

Life is a double-edged sword or so it seems to John Dixon. He's been getting it -- deservedly, some residents of Oakdale believe -- from all sides. The only hope he had left was that somehow he and Kim would get back together. But now with the receipt of the divorce papers; he knows this can never be. The reality is hard to bear. He dashes over to Kim's house, quite shaken, and throws the divorce papers in her face. Kim coolly replies he knew that she was getting a divorce; the papers shouldn't have come as that much of a surprise. Kim adds she's not going to fall for his weak little boy act anymore. It no longer works. She feels absolutely no guilt. She orders John to stay out of her life.

A Forgotten Wallet; A Finished Marriage

After a rather horrendous, sleepless night Tom is looking forward to a new day and a new beginning with his wife. He has decided to forgive Natalie and start their marriage anew. It's a happy time in Tom's life, but unfortunately, a ringing phone puts an end to this happiness. Tom picks up the extension, unaware that Natalie is already on the line. He hears Jay tell Natalie that she left her wallet on his couch last night. Tom can't believe it, he thought the lies were over (Natalie told her husband she was just driving around) but now he realizes all Natalie is good for is lying. He confronts his wife, Natalie doesn't deny the charges. She just cries: "I thought you weren't coming back. I didn't know what else to do." Tom looks at his wife with disgust and hate and orders her out of the house. He says she has 24 hours.

Tom's a cauldron of fire and violent anger as he storms into Jay's office. He grabs Jay around the throat and starts strangling him. Jay would have been a dead man if his secretary, Laurie, hadn't interfered. It is her screams that bring Tom to his senses. When he regains his voice Jay advises Tom not to tell Carol what happened between him and Natalie. It was only a one night stand and it wouldn't be worth the anguish Carol could be caused. Tom agrees to Jay's request.

It seems that a lack of companionship is not going to be one of Valerie's problems once she leaves the hospital. Bob asks her to go out with him. He says he's like to show her the Conway farm. Valerie graciously accepts his offer.

An Unexpected Encounter

While heading for the sun room, Valerie runs into Kim getting out of the elevator. It's an awkward moment but Kim tries to relieve the tension by apologizing for what happened in the past. Kim says it wasn't her intention to hurt Valerie. She was just trying to protect her. Val doesn't buy any of this and she's quite cold towards Kim. She tells her former sister-in-law that she won't be staying in Oakdale so there will be no need to see each other.

Kevin takes Susan up to his cabin in the country. Susan can't believe that this rich, dapper, debonair man lives in such a rustic setting (the cabin has no central heating or electricity). Kevin's very mysterious and he doesn't explain why, all he says is "I'm a man who should be dead but isn't and I'm also a man who wants to live with you." He tells Susan he means it when he says he wants to marry her.

Tit for Tat for Nat

Natalie arrives in Kilborn, Pennsylvania. She has returned to her old town to take up where she left off with Luke Porter. She hears a knock on her motel door. She hurriedly does a last minute adjustment of her hair and make-up, then opens the door. She mutters a gasp of amazement when she sees the person standing there is not Luke but his wife, Margaret. Margaret pushes her way into the room saying she thinks they have something to talk about. Margaret then proceeds to lay it on the line. She tells Natalie that Luke no longer wants her. He would have told her on the phone that she was wasting her time coming to Kilborn, but she wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. Natalie may find this hard to believe but Luke now loves his wife.

When Margaret leaves, Natalie calls Luke hoping he will deny all the vicious, hurting words she just heard. Luke adds a large dose of salt to her wound, by hanging up on Natalie the minute he hears her voice.

Keep the Pain Away

When John learns from Kim's lawyer, Grant Colman, that the divorce hearing is scheduled for next week, John's reaction to the news is to coat reality by heading for the bottle in his desk. John's inebriated state becomes quite noticeable to the nurses on duty. Pat Holland worries greatly that this would definitely mean the end of John's career, so she goes to see Susan and asks if she would speak to John. Pat says she knows Susan is John's only friend at Memorial. Susan tries to help John but it does no good. John's too lost in self-pity to relate to anyone.

Dee has found a new friend and advisor in Joyce. Joyce's free-thinking and hip ways are quite a contrast to the ultra-conservative and rigid attitude of Dee's mother. Joyce may not be meaning to -- for once -- but her helping Dee is adding fuel to an already slow-burning fire between mother and daughter. Ellen and Dee have already had words over a party Dee wants to attend. It's co-ed; it's a sleepover; and there are no adult chaperones, so Ellen vetoes the idea. Dee runs to Joyce and Joyce tells her she can't see why Ellen won't let her go.

Valerie spends her first night out of the hospital having dinner with Dan (she asked him). Kim learns from Betsy about Dan's recent dinner date and is quite distressed.

Joyce's New Beginning

Joyce is beginning to etch a new life for herself. She has decided to remain in Oakdale and asks for her old job back at the Medical Records Department of Memorial Hospital. Bob is quite pleased with Joyce's progress.

Bob gazes upon Valerie as she sits before the fireplace of the Conway farmhouse. He thinks to himself, the atmosphere outside may not be perfect (it's raining cats and dogs) but the company sure is. Bob's quite attracted to this free-spirited, independent-thinking young woman. He thoroughly enjoys their little tête-à-têtes. Valerie seems to like Bob, too. She's even considering doing something totally out of character. She's taking under consideration Bob's suggestion to fix up the Conway place and remain in Oakdale.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Breen's Scott, I always felt was way too old...and didn't have enough of a hard "edge," Wert's was total soap mancandy but could have worked as you said, if they had taken the time to flesh him out (though it would have been funny if Scott was gay and a chip off the old man hungry block like his mom.) I didn't think that Marland fleshed Scott out that well either....at first both he and his grandmother hated Lisa but then, things were all rosy and things were cool and it was like...okay, so what is his point????

I do think it is sad that since the time of Sheffer Lisa has been used as a glorified extra and an embarrassement...(you know, cause she is old and he thought all her stories were based on her sexuality and you know, that is embarrassing to see an old lady act like that...) She could be a very interesting combo of light and dark...even the Dobsons and Marland had her mentoring the "bad,' and troubled young ones of Oakdale...her involvement with Carly, Rosanna, Molly, etc. could have added a little depth to their stories as she is the kind of character who really has done everything so you cant get anything past her but she will still kick your ass back into line.

Though I do think that Fulton, left unchecked, plays Lisa a little too flighty and trying to be young, though I think that is more her trying to desperately make something out of nothing.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

im not into this show anymore. - but i have to say its shown me a lot of things, when i did watch it and was actually enjoying it.I was hooked,i adored every character & every s/l..it was my fave soap for a while & during a hard time was the only thing i looked forward to....It kept me going for some time and introduced me to amazing actors/actresses that i will never forget and i cant fathom the thought of not knowing who they are.. :blush:

so thank you World Turns, ill never forget this show & will be grateful for what its helped me w/-your beautiful!

Edited by Mike_Cady fan

• Members

EVERYONE in Oakdale hated John Dixon before Marland made him a wuss and accepted by the community (which needed to be done...) But he was an enemy of the Hughes family, and she is an honorary Hughes, and his marriage to Kim put a bad taste in everyones' mouth. Remember when he wrote a book, "A Man Stands Alone," which was a potboiler on Oakdale and their was a slutty woman married to a doctor who was called "Blondie," in the book?LOL.

• Members

I just thought there was some sort of personal reason, since the animosity between them was always very high.

I didn't see the book plot :( Was that Dobsons?

I love a lot of the John stuff I've seen from this timeframe. The scene where he was high-fiving and secret handshaking with Dusty, which was just so crazy, to see John doing that, and then at the wedding reception, the scene where he plays Roll Out the Barrel for Bob's and Kim's first wedding dance, and they drag him onto the floor so he'll have to dance with them. I just love that WTF type of stuff. I mean I loved the later John who was more quietly bitter and sarcastic but seeing him with such a nutty side helps liven up the scenes.

• Members

Marcy and Frannie say goodbye. Don't worry, ladies, you might see each other again in Hollywood (I wonder if they ever have, actually).

This is the end of the road for Marcy -- I didn't know she was around that far into 1985 -- but the real highlight for me was some of the absolutely gorgeous closeup shots where they split-screened Kevin and Frannie. I can see why they dumped Steven Weber, Kevin wasn't exactly the greatest role anyway, but I do wonder whether he and Frannie might have made it work. Poor Frannie had the worst luck ever with men.

• Members

Lisa is known to hold a grudge (Ellen, Lucinda and John) and doesn't hide her feelings, and John can give as good as he gets so thats probably why it seems they have some long dark secret. The book was during the Dobsons...they actaully started a storyline bringing Tom's ex wife and vixen Natalie to town..she was married to a producer and they bought the rights to the book and was going to shoot in Oakdale. Could have bene a good plot with Lisa throwing the hate Nat's way and Nat interfering with Steve and Carol and the kid, but the strike hit and they miscast Natalie terribly.

This was after John loosened up quite a bit post Dobson (when the show became "As the John Turns,") and they let him be less dark..so it was a good transition period for him..(I loved the costume party Lisa threw and Chris and Nancy came as George and Martha Washington and John came dressed as himself, "Who are you supposed to be?" "Mr. Goodguy of course!" )

Loved Bob and Kim's wedding as it did seem like a big family wedding where everyone was having fun instead of the high drama glam supposed romance of most soaps. This was two best friends getting married and the whole town coming out to have fun.

• Members

I don't think Ellen had a personal problem with Lisa, (other then the fact that she was slut and cheated on her friend Bob) until Lisa had an affair with Dr. Michael Shea (I think?) who had married Ellen's mother for her money. Lisa got preggers and then Shea married her, only to make Lisa's life hell. He was finally shot in a whodunnit where Tom was a big suspect (he was back from Nam and on drugs and stole some from Shea's office.) I think Lisa might have taken the rap thinking Tom did it???

Ah, that would be cool Reid could be Shea's long lost grandson...

• Members

Lisa's son with Michael died young, didn't he? What was his name, Teddy? Did they ever mention him later on?

Some of this episode from December 1984 is quite good. Dusty and John fight and Dusty has a complete breakdown. Marland really did rewrite this character's personality didn't he? Meanwhile, Diana and Lucinda spar, and Diana swears she will overcome her debts. For the first time I can see why some have said Diana would have been such a great character if she'd stuck around. She has that vixen yet vulnerable quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsnyW1dz_HE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VB3UuJclKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8AWmWVhog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt2sk5DRd08

• Members

This is a clip from around that time. Do you know what other stories were affected by the strike? Was that stuff with that weird Chad and weird Sophia part of that?

This also has one of the Annies. How long was this one around? She looks very old. I guess it's the hair and makeup and clothes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y8blLm5-9E

Did you watch the story back then with Dana Delaney (Hayley) and her aunt Connie? I don't know a lot about that. I just remember that Hayley was paired with Peter Reckell and something about drugs being smuggled and Hayley overdosed.

• Members

Hayley arrived in Oakdale in January 1981. She was the daughter of an old friend of James Stenbeck. Eric Hollister was smitten from the beginning. She soon contracted pneumonia and was placed under John’s care.

Her father was killed during an archeology gig in February and Hayley moved into an apartment with Sofia (Andrea Andropoulos’s daughter). Hayley thought Eric was interested in Sofia. She wanted to become an actress and went on a crash diet. John was furious when he learned it. Hayley then found a bracelet with hieroglyphs her father had dug. She tried to decipher it, thinking that they may have some bearing on her father's death.

In May, Hayley found out her aunt Connie was supposed to be her legal guardian until she was 21 but Hayley did not want to move to Chicago with her. Connie agreed to stay in Oakdale. That was around the time Eric and Hayley admitted they were in love. James feared Hayley would learn with the bracelet the existence of a pharoah’s tomb and tried to convince Connie to leave town with Hayley.

Meanwhile, Connie was doing everything to keep Eric and Hayley apart as Hayley began working as Annie’s assistant at the bookstore. Eric asked Hayley to see one another more to strenghten their relationship and he proposed. Hayley did not know what to do as she wanted to return to college and Connie said she did not have the money. She chose not to believe Connie and kept seeing Eric but asked him for time before marrying.

In October, John advised Hayley to get a lawyer for her trust fund. She ended up learning of a marriage clause in her trust fund and sued Connie for negligent management of the trust. Thanks to James, Connie gave Hayley money and she dropped the lawsuit.

Meanwhile, Karen Haines began being interested in Eric and learned that Hayley and Eric hadn’t had sex yet. Sofia lied to Hayley that Eric was seeing Karen and they split. Sad, Eric smoke a joint laced with angel dust with Sofia and he experienced complications. Once his life was saved, he reconcilied with Hayley and they got engaged in December. They married this month with Brad as best man. They left town together around Christmas.