ATWT Tribute Thread

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Does anyone know of any good 90's-era clips of Lily and Damian (or just Damian)? My friend recently started watching and remarked how sickly Paolo Seganti looks. She was floored when he I told her that "Damian" used to be quite the rootable hunk. I want to show her a video clip, but can't seem to find any. The only ones I see on Youtube are from his current stay, and his "pre-Martha-Byrne-maternity-leave" return a few years ago. Anyone have a link or know of where to find any?

• Members

Opening night at the Mona Lisa. Lyla, wearing a "va va voom" dress, performs two songs. They're both great, but the first is especially amusing because she goes around to the audience and paws at the younger men (I guess this was setup for her future relationship with Casey). Then she briefly flirts with ex-fiance Bob, but Kim stands up, just to let Lyla know to steer clear of her man. It's good fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GynMx1eaXls&feature=related

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Not long after Lyla, Cricket, and Margo arrived in town. Lyla met Bob at the hospital and they became close. Her secret was that John Dixon was Margo's biological father. This came out on the witness stand at Dee's rape trial. When Bob told her he wasn't sure how he felt, she returned his ring.

• Members

I never realized how many romantic interests Bob had aside from Lisa and Kim. I find it kind of surprising, since he was never a very hunky guy. Maybe that's just the bias of a 2000's soap fan. Still, I don't think someone like Don Hastings would ever even be hired by a soap today--certainly not as a core character/romantic lead.

• Members

It's interesting how many longrunning characters like Sandy (I don't really know much about her), Natalie, Carol, Joyce, left near the end of the 70s and it was as if they never existed.

Bob was very handsome in the 60s. He's always been handsome, in his own way, it's just that the standards of what makes a leading man changed over the years. They became much more about being a hard body, or having an "edge." Still, Bob was one of the only leading men who stayed on ATWT during that period so he did get a lot of women. I think the only other leading man for most of the 70s was Dan Stewart.

• Members

What I really appreciated about Bob (and Don Hastings) was the humor he brought, and continues to bring when he's given screen time. He's so genuinely funny. It made the Hugheses seem like a real family. There's some like Bob in every family, isn't there?

I agree that there seems to be a pretty sharp break between the 70s and 80s. That was around the time that the show was losing it's #1 spot, and the Dobsons were brought in to contemporize, if I'm not mistaken. Retrospectively, I think it would be interesting to have seen what would have happened to characters like Carol Demming and Jay Stalings if they had stayed with the show. I don't really fault the Dobsons for writing them out, though. They brought their own lasting characters to the show. Margo, Lyla, James, Betsy, and Steve--they were all Dobson creations, were't they?