For figure skating fans

• Members

Here's Nancy performing to B&TB at Skate America 92 and the 93 Nationals. Truthfully, none of her performances to this program were 100% clean (even though she won Nationals in 93, it was mainly due to her artistry and the fact that none of the other skaters that night had a clean performance--and she was leading after her OP).

Edited by MissLlanviewPA

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That reminds me of the Debi Thomas performance in 1988, where she fell and was rattled the entire time. I watch Elizabeth Manley's performance from that LP every so often just as a pick-me-up - it's a nice example of a joy of skating which can get lost. I know some said that the scoring controversies that year led them to revamp their system (of course I've also read comments from people who say that the current scoring system is why there has been a loss of interest in the sport in the US).

• Members

Oh yeah, I have watched quite a few of the performances from Calgary. Debi Thomas felt pressure to be both a skater and a student--she was studying to become a doctor at Stanford (and she did become a doctor), and although she took time off to prepare for the Olympics that year, her parents really wanted her to focus on medical school, which may have affected her performance--but hey, she became a doctor! That's more important than losing a gold medal, right?

And I LOVE Liz Manley's LP. She would have won if Katarina Witt wasn't leading in the compulsory figures. And Midori Ito's scores were insane for someone who skated right before the final group--but she deserved them, and no one had to be happier to see the compulsory figures eliminated from competition than her (as great a technical skater as she was, the compulsory figures absolutely killed her--it's amazing she won Worlds in 1989 while they were still a part of competition).

That being said, I do have a fondness for Jill Trenary, who won Worlds in 1990 largely because she was leading in compulsory figures--even though Midori's LP was actually stronger than it was the year before, and she otherwise would have won (as Jill's OP didn't go so well). But something about Jill's program that year sticks with me--weird music and all (okay, the first song is pretty cool, and I like the Yanni song in the middle, it's just a bit of a weird music combo).

Edited by MissLlanviewPA

• Members

I used to watch figure skating, but my interest has diminished somewhat in recent years. My favourite discipline was always the ice dancing, and this is probably my all-time favourite performance, Gwendal Peizerat and Marina Anissina from France in 1999. How they failed to win the gold medal is still a mystery to me......

• Members

Tonya's LP at Nationals in 1989. She finished third here. LOVE that crazy head of hair! laugh.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFdoiXH3cgc

Another favorite of mine, her OP at Worlds in 1992 to "Moon River." Such a pretty dress and make up, it was good to see a different side of her! Even with the botched combination, it was still a pretty good performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1WMW6ZQWnQ

• Members

Tonya's original program at 93 Nationals in Phoenix. Her dress got unhooked so she had to have a restart, but afterwards she's great. One of the pieces she skated to was the Moving Pictures song "Never", from the original version of Footloose. I love that movie! wub.png

I wish I knew what other songs she skated to here, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpIL3N_rC1Y

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I feel so bad watching this sometimes, but I just can't turn away. The poor girl self-destructed at the Olympics in her home country, and yet I'll still watch it. How sick. But there you are. Plus, I love the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emddH834Nqg&feature=relmfu

She did much better at Worlds, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WKzh8ul5hU

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Though Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold didn't win an medal at worlds I am thrilled that they placed well enough to secure 3 spots for the US at next years Olympics and Worlds. Gracie Gold is one to watch if she can become more consistent and do well in both short and long programs.