Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sylph

B&B: December Discussion Thread

I watched her whole show. It was terrific. If you can believe it, the oldest woman she made over is 11 years YOUNGER than Joan. Just goes to show what some discipline will get you in life...

Hush your mouth! Joan Collins IS Glamour personified. She is the best of the best. Her generation really understood the art of presentation.

How wonderful!!! I was just missing you, and here you are! I'm so glad you were able to come in and say hi. Right now I feel like Samantha when she called for Doctor Bombay. Yes, Joan is glamour personified. She Can wear anything and make it look great, because she knows how to present and carry herself with confidence. I love her sense of color and fun. She can even do camp and cutting edge and make it look incredible... and here's a perfect example (she first appears at 1:15):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW8XhTYICVU

I have a different definition. :) She is trash Hollywood glamour. Real Hollywood classy glamour for me is Head/Adrian/Givenchy/Plunkett/others and all those divas of black & white films: Garbo, Crawford, Dietrich and many others. The iciness, mysteriousness, sophistication and stylish costumes coupled with black & white photography and other factors made a difference.

Joan is all flashy, colours, over-the-top. I like it, but prefer just a tiny bit more the refinement and restrainedness.

Okay, that's a definition I can live with. All those years in St Tropez have turned Joan into a major colour lover. Flashy is fun in her book.

The interesting thing is that so much of Joan's look is taken from Crawford, Dietrich and Bette Davis. The shoulders, the nipped in waists, the HATS. The difference is that Joan amps everything up and goes for bold while the aforementioned women went for subtle. If there's one thing our Joan has never managed it's subtlety and I love her for it!