Guiding Light discussion thread

16 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

OMFG!!!!!

Two actors whom I adore and actually WANT to see!

This is thrilling news!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Agreed - I have waited for someone to interview Hulswit for YEARS! I am very much looking forward to this one.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, zanereed said:

Agreed - I have waited for someone to interview Hulswit for YEARS! I am very much looking forward to this one.

I just hope Alan does not muzzle Mart Hulswit, and actually lets him speak frankly.

Now if we could only get a no-holds-barred interview with Eileen Fulton, in which she just let it rip. 

But I won't quibble and be greedy. Hulswit and Myers on the agenda truly has me giddy!

15 hours ago, Bill Bauer said:

That's so great! I'm really looking forward to that! I've been wishing he would go back to the 60s and 70s stars! Thank you very much for bringing it to our attention, DRW50!

Yes, while they are still with us, and ready and willing to be interviewed, we need to see the legendary veteran actors as much as possible! How about a session with Bill and Susan Hayes, Denise Alexander and Maree Cheatam?

I want to hear from Mart about the union stuff I recall years ago reading about he was in the group of actors who was involved in the contract changes as before then every actor could be fired at will without warning. Of course I wonder if this was something that annoyed TPTB.  

3 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

I just hope Alan does not muzzle Mart Hulswit, and actually lets him speak frankly.

Now if we could only get a no-holds-barred interview with Eileen Fulton, in which she just let it rip. 

But I won't quibble and be greedy. Hulswit and Myers on the agenda truly has me giddy!

Yes, while they are still with us, and ready and willing to be interviewed, we need to see the legendary veteran actors as much as possible! How about a session with Bill and Susan Hayes, Denise Alexander and Maree Cheatam?

I think there was one with Maree Cheatam but it was audio only (something was wrong with her video) and she didn't stay for long. I'd like to see her together with the others you mentioned but especially Maree since Marie Horton was my favourite Days character. 

On 5/7/2021 at 4:50 PM, Bill Bauer said:

I think there was one with Maree Cheatam but it was audio only (something was wrong with her video) and she didn't stay for long. I'd like to see her together with the others you mentioned but especially Maree since Marie Horton was my favourite Days character. 

Really? Marie Horton was your favorite DAYS character? I never knew that. 

Did you have any particular favorite(s) on TGL?

7 hours ago, Forever8 said:

Audrey Peters was a lovely actress but was so wrong for the role of Sarah Shayne.  Never worked.  And there was zero chemistry between her and Kim Zimmer. The writing was a problem too, but Audrey couldn't pull off the Oklahoma accent.

4 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

Really? Marie Horton was your favorite DAYS character? I never knew that. 

Did you have any particular favorite(s) on TGL?

Bill Bauer, as you can tell by my name, was probably my favourite. Although with such a long run, there were lots of favourites. I would have to really sit and think about it. 

3 hours ago, Bill Bauer said:

Bill Bauer, as you can tell by my name, was probably my favourite. Although with such a long run, there were lots of favourites. I would have to really sit and think about it. 

Just curious - any preference as to Lyle Sudrow or Ed Bryce for Bill Bauer? I always preferred Bryce, but I just thought Ed Bryce had better chemistry with Charita. Although Sudrow seemed to give some great performances in 1950 as Bill Bauer became more and more addicted to alcohol.

2 hours ago, zanereed said:

Just curious - any preference as to Lyle Sudrow or Ed Bryce for Bill Bauer? I always preferred Bryce, but I just thought Ed Bryce had better chemistry with Charita. Although Sudrow seemed to give some great performances in 1950 as Bill Bauer became more and more addicted to alcohol.

I prefer Sudrow but I liked Bryce a lot. 

On 5/9/2021 at 3:21 PM, RavenWhitney said:

Audrey Peters was a lovely actress but was so wrong for the role of Sarah Shayne.  Never worked.  And there was zero chemistry between her and Kim Zimmer. The writing was a problem too, but Audrey couldn't pull off the Oklahoma accent.

Honestly, the entire Shayne clan was a failure, IMHO, which was nevertheless rammed down viewers' throats for far too many years. They were TGL's version of EMMERDALE'S Dingles. 

On 5/9/2021 at 4:35 PM, Bill Bauer said:

Me too. I doubt I could come up with one, single favorite TGL character. I'd probably have trouble keeping it under a Top 10!

On 5/9/2021 at 8:00 PM, zanereed said:

Usually I have a marked preference for the actor who originated the role, but occasionally I grow to enjoy and appreciate the replacement equally. Both Sudrow and Bryce were very good as Bill Bauer.

On 5/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, RavenWhitney said:

Agree, I thought she was too classy to be Sarah..I think they should have cast someone who was a faded beauty..heftier and tougher. What would you think of her as Meta?  I never understood why they let Bea Reardon go right around the time Charita died, as the show needed a matriarch and Sarah was not it and the while most Reardons were gone she was good a Mrs Garrett kind of housemother with new young characters, and Lee Lawson had good chemistry with the 4 Ms, etc.

21 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

That really shows the evolution of Mart Hulswit visually, and within the span of a few years. Actors certainly aged quicker at that time. Although the family photo would likely be from 1972, I assume the top photo is from 1971 or 1972?

To be fair, Don Stewart also aged quickly from 1968 to the early 1970's, but by around 1975, he looked virtually the same moving forward (someone said hair dye helped with that  ). Even when he came back in 1997 for Mike's brief cameo, Stewart's greying temples were the only notifiable difference

Please register in order to view this content
. I still can't believe Rausch didn't try to keep Stewart on the show after that.

19 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

Me too. I doubt I could come up with one, single favorite TGL character. I'd probably have trouble keeping it under a Top 10!

The ones that always stand out for me were Papa Bauer, Bert Bauer, Mike Bauer, Ed Bauer (Hulswit version), Roger Thorpe, Holly Norris (Garrett version, and she really cemented it after returning in 1988), Gilly Grant, Alan Spaulding (Bernau version), Lucille Wexler, Diane Ballard, Mel Boudreau (was I the only one...?), Rita Stapleton...

...and there are more! So, no...I can't keep it under 10, either!

1 hour ago, zanereed said:

That really shows the evolution of Mart Hulswit visually, and within the span of a few years. Actors certainly aged quicker at that time. Although the family photo would likely be from 1972, I assume the top photo is from 1971 or 1972?

Ah everyone is always on MH and his weight...(hello Doug Marland...everyone can't be a muscle twink for you to fawn over..) I thought he looked cute in all of those. Agreed on DS..though I never found him as accessible as MH's Ed, he did not age. I too can't believe that Rauchie didn't offer him a return with no Ed around to have a Bauer patriarch .they could have kept Marj's Alex to pair him with (and recast Raines for God Sake!) The eventual mob storyline would have been better with Mr. Law and Order vs. Mob Mama.  Stewart was in California at that time so would have have agreed?