Guiding Light discussion thread

Just announced: Mart Hulswit and Fran Myers are slated to be on The Locher Room on Thursday, May 13th at 3 p.m. EST / 12 p.m. PST. How cool!!

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, robbwolff said:

Just announced: Mart Hulswit and Fran Myers are slated to be on The Locher Room on Thursday, May 13th at 3 p.m. EST / 12 p.m. PST. How cool!!

OMG OMG OMG!!!!  Yes!!!!

Posted (edited)

I'm stoked! 

My mom used to talk of the trials of Peggy...and how seeing Peggy and Roger  marriage fail made her realize that no one can change a man unless he wants to change.

GL used to have the long suffering nurse character ranging from Peggy to Katie to Lillian to Annie.  

Edited by Soaplovers
On 5/5/2021 at 11:03 AM, zanereed said:

I really wish that either Mike and Charlotte would have had a son or Mike and Leslie. I suppose the latter would have been odd - Leslie had a son with Ed and then a son with Mike. Maybe that's why Mike and Leslie never had children...?

Leslie having a kid with Mike would have worked too as they were soulmates but Hope started to get more later

teenage stories. Not to mention in a way that would’ve made Leslie the 70’s version of Reva or Brooke Logan lol, something the stodgy P&G daytime world wasn’t quite ready for. 

On 5/5/2021 at 11:22 AM, Faulkner said:

God, I remember that like it was yesterday …

There were other things too on that downhill slope. I know @DRW50 mentioned the Pauly Hardman story along with Buzz & Nadine’s Vegas wedding but there was also Josh & Tangie, Alan’s return with that Howie/Ross impersonator guy, Ed & Eve, Dusay Alex vs. Crampton Monday, and saying sayonara to Kat in favor of Gabriela? Yikes! The second Fifth Street fire was a ploy for ratings I think Douglas Anderson was HW by that point and the show was dragging. 

54 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

There were other things too on that downhill slope. I know @DRW50 mentioned the Pauly Hardman story along with Buzz & Nadine’s Vegas wedding but there was also Josh & Tangie, Alan’s return with that Howie/Ross impersonator guy, Ed & Eve, Dusay Alex vs. Crampton Monday, and saying sayonara to Kat in favor of Gabriela? Yikes! The second Fifth Street fire was a ploy for ratings I think Douglas Anderson was HW by that point and the show was dragging. 

Justin Deas screaming on a rooftop for an hour. Shameless Emmy bait that nearly got the show canned. 

5 hours ago, DRW50 said:

@vetsoapfan @Mitch @Bill Bauer I hope you all see the above.

That's so great! I'm really looking forward to that! I've been wishing he would go back to the 60s and 70s stars! Thank you very much for bringing it to our attention, DRW50!

1 hour ago, DRW50 said:

Justin Deas screaming on a rooftop for an hour. Shameless Emmy bait that nearly got the show canned. 

I never understood how Deas won those Emmys in the mid-90’s tbh except for the Academy always loving a previous winner. Likewise while I did always like Buzz & Jenna most of the stuff with Nadine wasn’t fun at all and it felt Nadine was settling for less than she had done in the past . 

On 5/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, ironlion said:

What would you all consider the definitively best period of GL, and when did it go off the rails?

I feel like it went off the rails in the mid 90s. Not all at once, it wasn't a swan dive into asphalt, but imo the show never hit another writing high again. 

13 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Oh...God....my ears still hurt from that. And yes, it was shameless Emmy bait..JFP was not stupid..she rode the show on Buzz, and the ratings fell with the aforementioned firings and people leaving, so she had to prove that she made the right choice and if your audience turned you off you need an Emmy for you leading man to say, "See, it was worth it and they will come back."

11 hours ago, soapfan770 said:

I never understood how Deas won those Emmys in the mid-90’s tbh except for the Academy always loving a previous winner. Likewise while I did always like Buzz & Jenna most of the stuff with Nadine wasn’t fun at all and it felt Nadine was settling for less than she had done in the past . 

It was just depressing seeing these beautiful women chasing after that looser. I think JFP and the writers watched the "Witches of Eastwick" too much with all those hot women chasing after gross, fat Jack Nicholson's character. They may have pulled it off if they had hired a sexy guy to play Buzz but it still would have been depressing.  Deas won those Emmys as for some reason the industry thought he WAS the JN of daytime and the rest of the actors all seem to gush on how great he is...the only lone voice was Marcy Walker who alluded to him being "self indulgent." in his choices.

I always thought Nadine and Ed might have been interesting..he had money and respect, and maybe she could light a fire under dour PS.

3 minutes ago, Mitch said:

I always thought Nadine and Ed might have been interesting..he had money and respect, and maybe she could light a fire under dour PS.

That would have caused some conflict with Holly (from WSPR) and Vanessa (given their feud) too.

11 hours ago, soapfan770 said:

JFP got a lot of praise for her expertise in bloc voting for nominations and wins. An example of the industry, and the press, being unable to see the forest for the trees. In the long run, did any of those Emmys help anybody with anything? The only soap that might have benefited, in not immediately being canceled, was Santa Barbara, but even that is generous.

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2021 at 1:23 PM, FrenchBug82 said:

It is absolutely true and the next question for me is why and is it a coincidence that the mid-90s were such a rough period creatively for so many soaps at the same time?
The fact other shows - Days in particular - were doing spectacularly well around the same time (Days crashed and burned not long after however) means there are no easy answers.
But is it a coincidence? Is it because there were changes in the suits departments/network that led to consequences on the lower creative level? That would possibly explain why it happened in parallel on almost all the ABC shows and the PG shows but shows that were controlled separately like the Bell shows were doing fine.
Is it because the immediate reaction to the OJ trial ratings decline led EPs to make bad short-term choices that ended up snowballing? 
What's the theory for why it happened almost at the same time?

I've always wondered the same. You've brought up the points I go back to and think about.

Many feel it was moving in the 'Reilly' direction (but without plotting out actual story and just doing crazy wacky things to get attention) and desperation after the OJ Simpson trial that caused the decline.

For me it seems like a lot of poor management decisions. You had the swapping of the P&G producers which didn't work, causing all of their soaps to suffer. Disney bought ABC. NBC was getting on their 'TODAY' high ...  

And then you had soaps like Sunset Beach and Passions drawing small attention for outlandish plots.

Problem is, all the soaps started to look the same LOL

I'm sure there's been threads on where exactly the decline began but it's a great discussion to have.

EDIT: I forgot about the stupid "Focus Groups" that producers and networks relied on in the 90s. What a disaster. 

20 hours ago, robbwolff said:

STOP IT!

I'm so excited!

Edited by KMan101