Guiding Light discussion thread

7 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

God, I remember that like it was yesterday … so bad. Julie really lost her usefulness without Hart or being in the mix with Dylan and Bridget. Whatever happened to Jocelyn Seagrave?

GL making bland sweet Julie into a bad girl wasn't a bad idea. But bad girl Julie was so unlikable. Plus her obsession story with Frank was dreadful. JS played it very well. But the writing failed her.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, victoria foxton said:

GL making bland sweet Julie into a bad girl wasn't a bad idea. But bad girl Julie was so unlikable. Plus her obsession story with Frank was dreadful. JS played it very well. But the writing failed her.

She was a very good actress. But wrong story definitely. The show at that time was hitting so many off notes if I recall. So disappointing.

30 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

God, I remember that like it was yesterday … so bad. Julie really lost her usefulness without Hart or being in the mix with Dylan and Bridget. Whatever happened to Jocelyn Seagrave?

She was in one of the reunions with Melissa and Morgan. She looks great and seems to have given up acting and was talking about kids, etc...(sad to think little boring Julie has teenagers now..
I'm old!) Agree the story was obviously a redirect with Hart gone and to give Frank and Eleni story. Problem was.. Frankie D is not an actor (he is basically playing himself) and didn't have the chops to pull it off and Julie's obsession came out of nowhere. They should have just written her off and for that matter, Frank and Eleni when the original actress left.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:12 PM, ironlion said:

Great feed back and wow, the mid 80s is very early compared to other soaps! From what I've read across SON, a lot of users post somewhere between the mid 90s and early 00s as the quality decline mark on other soaps. Overall the 2000s were not kind to Guiding Light (and All My Children) especially. Once the new production model came, that was it! I didn't like that Guiding Light was cancelled, but I can't say the show wasn't asking for it in the latter years. 

I think it depends on, like others said, when you started the show, etc. A few posters have clear and fond memories of the real early years lol and I can see why it was better. I have to admit watching what I could on YouTube and my interest wanes when it hits 1983/1984 and Kobe starts. I like Long more than some on here lol but it did suck to lose so many characters and it felt like a different show. Not *bad* just not the same (YMMV).

Just my perspective on someone who started in the 90s and has tried to see what I could (I hate so much has been removed from YouTube).

If I was looking at it from an unbiased view, I'd say you can see the decline in almost all the soaps now cancelled starting around 95/96/97. The soaps changed and not for the better. Ironically, the four soaps left on the air now were probably at their 90s peak and still doing well.

You could probably break down most of the soaps from their beginning, the 70s, the 80s, the 90s and the rest. I'd say the decline in daytime started around 1996-1998 were horrid years for most of the soaps. 

Rambling post but I think it depends on whether you still liked the show after 1984. Many just didn't care for it and I can see why. Now that I've seen earlier years, I get it.

35 minutes ago, victoria foxton said:

All of this. It was painful, but I did like the idea of making her a bad girl and JS did her best. The writing definitely failed her. Reminded me of a bland Reilly quad.

1994 was a tough year with so much chaos going on behind the scenes at the show. Patrick Mulcahey has spoken about it on Twitter a few times - about how amazing the experience with Curlee was, and then when a series of external factors made it too complicated to work there for her (and ultimately him), his own HW-ing tenure after Curlee left being heartbreaking, and why he needed to go. 

7 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

1994 was a tough year with so much chaos going on behind the scenes at the show. Patrick Mulcahey has spoken about it on Twitter a few times - about how amazing the experience with Curlee was, and then when a series of external factors made it too complicated to work there for her (and ultimately him), his own HW-ing tenure after Curlee left being heartbreaking, and why he needed to go. 

It really showed on screen. Such a depressing watch at the time.

1 hour ago, KMan101 said:

I'd say the decline in daytime started around 1996-1998 were horrid years for most of the soaps. 

It is absolutely true and the next question for me is why and is it a coincidence that the mid-90s were such a rough period creatively for so many soaps at the same time?
The fact other shows - Days in particular - were doing spectacularly well around the same time (Days crashed and burned not long after however) means there are no easy answers.
But is it a coincidence? Is it because there were changes in the suits departments/network that led to consequences on the lower creative level? That would possibly explain why it happened in parallel on almost all the ABC shows and the PG shows but shows that were controlled separately like the Bell shows were doing fine.
Is it because the immediate reaction to the OJ trial ratings decline led EPs to make bad short-term choices that ended up snowballing? 
What's the theory for why it happened almost at the same time?

20 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:

What's the theory for why it happened almost at the same time?

I remember Disney acquired ABC around that time.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2021 at 11:49 PM, FrenchBug82 said:

That 92-93 time period is a more common date for "When did GL start to decline" than 1983 indeed.

I choose Summer of 1992 because, as discussed a few weeks ago, I think Maureen's death has taken a mythical place as the death knell when it would have been survivable had there not been all the other blows while I don't think the reverse would have been true. But either way it is a date that I feel more comfortable with.

Summer of 1992 is when my interest started to wane. No Alex, recasting Blake, Mindy leaving, the woeful, dull as hell Nick mushmouthing "Melinda" 50000 times a week, tedious Mallet/Harley and Harley losing her spark, etc. 

On 5/5/2021 at 12:54 AM, soapfan770 said:

Thank you for your that, Staab was my favorite Hart and what had been such a hot story suddenly screeched to a halt. 

1993 ended on a high note with Roger creeping around trying to figure out who shot him but 1994 was the moment the show spiraled for sure....I usually start with the Frank & Julie mess

At the time the Frank and Julie story was one of the few that interested me, along with the custody battle for Peter. I enjoyed seeing her scheme. It helped that I hated Lucy and she did too.

Edited by DRW50

Leonard Stabb and Jeff Phillips were my favorite Harts. I hated the rest who played him.

For me GL lost its luster in 92. The final coffin was Maureen death. The show was so dull and boring.

56 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Summer of 1992 is when my interest started to wane. No Alex, recasting Blake, Mindy leaving, the woeful, dull as hell Nick mushmouthing "Melinda" 50000 times a week, tedious Mallet/Harley and Harley losing her spark, etc. 

At the time the Frank and Julie story was one of the few that interested me, along with the custody battle for Peter. I enjoyed seeing her scheme. It helped that I hated Lucy and she did too.

It was fun in a campy, dumb way...but it made no sense...(why all of a sudden is she after dullard Frank, and they could have at least given him some temptation to actually do it...) and yes, you, I, Julie and the rest of the world HATED Lucy...why the hell did JFP think the actress was so great???

6 minutes ago, Mitch said:

yes, you, I, Julie and the rest of the world HATED Lucy...why the hell did JFP think the actress was so great???

HATED her. I did wind up being pleasantly surprised by SS on OLTL.

9 minutes ago, Mitch said:

It was fun in a campy, dumb way...but it made no sense...(why all of a sudden is she after dullard Frank, and they could have at least given him some temptation to actually do it...) and yes, you, I, Julie and the rest of the world HATED Lucy...why the hell did JFP think the actress was so great???

At the time I just told myself that she latched on to Frank because he was kind to her. I do think it was a thin story, as so much of that period was (even in that story itself, I never bought that Eleni would go into business with Alan-Michael after his scheming and betrayals). There was not much to pick from, sad to say. I remember when watching a particular nadir for me was Buzz having to live in a hovel or something and Nadine had to help him with a mobster and money schemes (I later learned the mobster was played by an actor JFP had worked with on Santa Barbara - I guess that sums up her storytelling choices).

Lucy was not the first example of JFP making her vision the dominant force above any storytelling logic (that would probably be Buzz), but she was the one that bugged me most, mainly because of the timing with Harley leaving, and also because they kept forcing her on Alan-Michael even though viewers never cared. I did start to like her more during the Brent story, but that really was her only strong story even though she was on the show for 3 and a half years.

2 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Big Harley and Mallet fan but 1993 was rough. All she did was utter “my father” a thousand times and episode and look for him and then found him and everything was about Buzz from that point on.