Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Guiding Light discussion thread


Paul Raven

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members
2 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Nobody mentioned writing for Lisa. I realize not everybody is capable but Lisa was a major character.

I forgot about her. How do you think she would've done with writing characters like Lisa? Bob? John? I'm struggling to see how she would write for the latter two. Although Pam Long was known for writing her male characters well for the most part. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I think Long would have done well with Lisa...and she would have done well with John Dixon.  Not sure about Bob...though I think she would have positioned Bob/Kim the same way she positioned Ed/Maureen..as tentpole characters.

 

The one character on GL that I wish Long had the chance to write would have been rita.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
33 minutes ago, Forever8 said:

I forgot about her. How do you think she would've done with writing characters like Lisa? Bob? John? I'm struggling to see how she would write for the latter two. Although Pam Long was known for writing her male characters well for the most part. 

 

Yes, her tenures seem very testosterone-laced. As an aside, I think she would've been great at writing Brooke Logan as she seemed adept at writing sexually charged vamps. From what I have noticed, she seemed to write two archetypes of women, hard-charging, full-steam ahead in career, and hard-charging, full-steam ahead in the bedroom. The same way that many criticized Maryland in how he wrote '86 Barbara and Lucinda, I would see Long writing similarly for both characters.  Lisa is a character that seems straight-forward and easy to write on the surface but was a bit more complex beneath, which is my guess as to why the writers didn't bother with her at all towards the end (they should have at least tried though).

Due to Fulton's Southern heritage, I fear that Long may have been tempted to write her as some sort of ageing Southern belle or grande dame and that wasn't Lisa. Despite all her sparkly, fancy attire, Lisa wasn't a reclining grande same. She was a successful business woman but she wasn't an Alexandra Spaulding, either in business temperament, or in disposition (she was not as concerned with socio-economic standing and class as Alexandra). Lisa was a romantic but not a camp like Reva. Lisa was, on occasion down for a good scrap.  

Another thing, is that Lisa was fiercely loyal to her women friends. Most of Long's best known creations had stronger friendships/relationships with men. So, I would've handed off writing duties to another writer, as far as Lisa was concerned.

I think Long would've done fine with John Dixon (no one has ever truly flopped with him) and she probably would have written great conflict between he and Bob.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
14 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

I think Long would have done well with Lisa...and she would have done well with John Dixon.  Not sure about Bob...though I think she would have positioned Bob/Kim the same way she positioned Ed/Maureen..as tentpole characters.

 

The one character on GL that I wish Long had the chance to write would have been rita.  

I could see her doing a great job with Rita. I could see her getting Evan right But i wonder about Andy? Plus Oakdale would've had the same community feel. It had under Doug.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Nobody mentioned writing for Lisa. I realize not everybody is capable but Lisa was a major character.

I think Lisa would be so easy to write for..though (and Fulton wouldn't have liked this) I would nix the swoony dreaming romantic (so maybe she isnt so easy to write for..)  cause that was just getting pathetic as she got older, but she had connections to everyone (except the Snyders which I liked) she was great on recapping as she traveled around chatting up everyone, she had humor (if done right) took all the young people under her wing, especially if they were a bad girl with a good heart, and as DramatistDreamer said..she liked a good fight.  I never understood why Sheffer couldn't write for her.

 

I thought the best writing for Lisa was with Taggert and company pre Marland right after Fulton's return..she had a step family she was all over (I wish Ulrich didn't leave at that time...she was prime Lisa project material) she was running her businesses, she was getting kidnapped...acting like Joan Crawford at her husband''s murder trial..Marland made her kind of bland.

 

I can only imagine how Lisa would deal with Reva...and Fulton and Zimmer with each other!

Edited by Mitch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Mitch said:

I think Lisa would be so easy to write for..though (and Fulton wouldn't have liked this) I would nix the swoony dreaming romantic (so maybe she isnt so easy to write for..)  cause that was just getting pathetic as she got older, but she had connections to everyone (except the Snyders which I liked) she was great on recapping as she traveled around chatting up everyone, she had humor (if done right) took all the young people under her wing, especially if they were a bad girl with a good heart, and as DramatistDreamer said..she liked a good fight.  I never understood why Sheffer couldn't write for her.

 

If it were easy, Sheffer would definitely have done it.

 

He likely didn't want to write for Lisa because he really, he couldn't dress her in drag or have her do pratfalls out of windows.

Edited by DramatistDreamer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
9 hours ago, Mitch said:

LOL..I love Marj but really, who thought this was nothing but over the top??? I love when she starts shaking her fist at ole Rog!  Imagine what Bev would have done.

 


To be fair, it is not just Marj. The entire scene is poorly written and staged, full of histrionics and ridiculously fake pretend "fights". I love the show and everyone involved but this was more cringey than I remembered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:


To be fair, it is not just Marj. The entire scene is poorly written and staged, full of histrionics and ridiculously fake pretend "fights".

I agree!  It’s hard to watch.  The writing was not as strong as it had been, and everyone is over the top.  It’s also a room filled with recasts that for me, just don’t quite work as well.  Blake, Mindy, and Alexandra just don’t have the same shine that they did.

 

Compare this to the Country Club scenes with Alexandra and Roger, and the episodes just after.  Subtle, character based writing and performances.  Even when Beverlee could have gone into histrionics she played layers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
8 hours ago, FrenchBug82 said:


To be fair, it is not just Marj. The entire scene is poorly written and staged, full of histrionics and ridiculously fake pretend "fights". I love the show and everyone involved but this was more cringey than I remembered.

 

That scene was really bad. 

 

I think Marj could have played a better Alex. The writing wasn't there and she didn't always elevate it either. 

26 minutes ago, titan1978 said:

I agree!  It’s hard to watch.  The writing was not as strong as it had been, and everyone is over the top.  It’s also a room filled with recasts that for me, just don’t quite work as well.  Blake, Mindy, and Alexandra just don’t have the same shine that they did.

 

Compare this to the Country Club scenes with Alexandra and Roger, and the episodes just after.  Subtle, character based writing and performances.  Even when Beverlee could have gone into histrionics she played layers.

 

THIS

 

You can see the show falling by this point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Community Activity

    1. 7,544

      Another World

    2. 1,098

      The Media/Journalism Thread

    3. 3,133

      Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy