Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did anyone catch the Black History Month discussion he had with former actors of GL? I'm checking it out now. I like the actors so I decided to give it a view.

Sorry, I forgot to say where--The Locher Room on YouTube.

3 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Did anyone catch the Black History Month discussion he had with former actors of GL? I'm checking it out now. I like the actors so I decided to give it a view.

Sorry, I forgot to say where--The Locher Room on YouTube.

Not yet. I plan on watching it this weekend.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

Locher is the wrong person to host such a discussion.  He's so awkward.

A prissy white queen like Locher is totally wrong. Being an inept interviewer is also a hinderance. 

Edited by victoria foxton
1 hour ago, Soaplovers said:

Locher is the wrong person to host such a discussion.  He's so awkward.

1 hour ago, victoria foxton said:

A prissy white queen like Locher is totally wrong. Being an inept interviewer is also a hinderance. 

Which is why I said that I watched because of the actors involved.

Do I wish some other soap adjacent person had hosted? Yes, but sadly no one else did and I stull think the actors themselves had interesting things to say about the topics they discussed.

More than this, I wish someone would have hosted a livestream or video discussion on the blindspots as well as the bright spots of AA characterization and involvement in daytime soaps, but no one with a platform seems interested in having that discussion.

1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Which is why I said that I watched because of the actors involved.

Do I wish some other soap adjacent person had hosted? Yes, but sadly no one else did and I stull think the actors themselves had interesting things to say about the topics they discussed.

More than this, I wish someone would have hosted a livestream or video discussion on the blindspots as well as the bright spots of AA characterization and involvement in daytime soaps, but no one with a platform seems interested in having that discussion.

Ellen Holly (wasnt she a judge on GL) hosting would have been great...but then, no one else would have gotten a word in!

On Alan Locher's Instagram he has reported Gil Rogers (Hawk Shayne) passed away on March 2nd. 

Please register in order to view this content

Posted (edited)

Sad news. Gil was a consistent highlight for me when he played Hawk, even though on paper the character would not have amounted to much. He and Marj Dusay even made the "Queenie" banter charming, somehow. That was when I first warmed to Marj as Alex. His best was usually saved for scenes with "Sister" (Reva) - Gil and Kim Zimmer had something special. Even though he wasn't there for the finale I'm glad they had Hawk return briefly in that last year. 

Edited by DRW50

This is indeed sad news. Before many GL and ATWT videos were forced down (or coerced), I was watching a lot of GL and even revisiting the late 80s and early 90s we era and I enjoyed Hawke's relationship with his kids, especially Reva and Roxie. Just last year, or the end of 2019, I read his Wikipedia entry and couldn't help but notice his advanced years but thought it was great that he was still around and kicking. Now, that has changed. At least, we still have his performances. R.I.P.

6 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Wait, Jeffrey Scott passed away too?

Didn't he briefly portray Billy Lewis?

He did, yes. I thought he was absolutely awful in the role, but then I did not know at the time that Jordan Clarke had been fired due to his drug issues. Still, Scott seemed to be better served in other roles.

On 3/1/2021 at 6:45 PM, DRW50 said:

Is this Melinda Fee in the United ad (it's around 10 minutes in)?

October 18, 1976 ABC commercials - YouTube

It isn't Melinda, but Shawn Campbell (Ricky, LIAMST and Billy Aldrich, TD) is in the Norelco commercial.  And that might be Shane Nickerson (Billy Fletcher, GL) in the Metropolitan Life ad (the shorter boy, at the beginning).

45 minutes ago, jam6242 said:

It isn't Melinda, but Shawn Campbell (Ricky, LIAMST and Billy Aldrich, TD) is in the Norelco commercial.  And that might be Shane Nickerson (Billy Fletcher, GL) in the Metropolitan Life ad (the shorter boy, at the beginning).

Thanks for finding a few more soap alum.