Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Guiding Light discussion thread


Paul Raven

Recommended Posts

  • Members
2 hours ago, DRW50 said:

 

 

No dates on these, but the second episode seems to be older as they mention Labor Day coming up. The first short clip carries on immediately from the 9/2/86 episode Soaps Past put up last month.

 

You can always see the resemblance between John Bolger and Jerry ver Dorn. And both so stunning. 

 

I just find Calla completely draining as a character. I wonder if that's why she didn't stay around. I can't remember what secret she is hiding about Jessie's birth (weren't there rumors the show was going to reveal Lillian was Jessie's mother?).

 

The show seems so unfocused at this point. You have some strong individual scenes, like the one where Roxy talks to Johnny about the difference between loving someone and being in love with them, yet so many confusing and difficult to care about storylines. 

 

The show seemed to be attempting a couple-oriented focus at this point, but I don't have much investment in those couples. Fletcher and Maeve are alright...and Peter Simon and Ellen Parker already have an easy chemistry, even though they'd just started working together. I always thought they worked together well, which meant the show having Ed repeatedly cheat on her made him look even worse. 

 

Calla had herpes...that was the big secret. I remember the hilarious scene of Jessie reading her medical report (Cedars had the worst patient privacy policies on earth) and the zoom in to "Herpes" and she ran out into the street and may have been hit by a car (or the audience was hoping that) and maybe she just went running around SF until boring Simon caught up to her.  Calla was just one of those extra characters not needed on the show, like the whole Sampson crowd with the record company that stayed too long ..again, if they needed someone in that age range to pair with Ross, why not recast Hope??? Especially with Alan returning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members
1 minute ago, Mitch said:

Calla had herpes...that was the big secret. I remember the hilarious scene of Jessie reading her medical report (Cedars had the worst patient privacy policies on earth) and the zoom in to "Herpes" and she ran out into the street and may have been hit by a car (or the audience was hoping that) and maybe she just went running around SF until boring Simon caught up to her.  Calla was just one of those extra characters not needed on the show, like the whole Sampson crowd with the record company that stayed too long ..again, if they needed someone in that age range to pair with Ross, why not recast Hope??? Especially with Alan returning.

 

Thanks. Oh I think I remember hearing about the herpes, I wondered if this was more. I guess not. Who comes up with that as a major storyline? They used to parody this in the educational shorts on MST3K. Your description sounds hilarious. Why was Jessie running out on the street? Did she think she had herpes too? 

 

I agree with you about Hope, and those extra characters. Jackson or whatever his name is - always just there, and in this episode, with the same frightening mullet Valene had on Knots Landing around this time. Liz Taylor raised a child to be more stylish than that. I think even SOD asked why he was always there doing nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)

@DRW50 GL tried for most of 1986 to make Simon & Jessie into a big super couple.  One of the few good things Manetta /Anderson did was getting rid of them. And i actually liked Simon. But not with BLAND Jessie. I loved Billy Ocean's  When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going playing in the background. Never knew that Vanessa interacted with Simon. Calla was so unlikable. Just can't stand that Herpes ridden bitch. Meave was always BLAND. Did like her friendship with India. Kristi Ferrell was really good in her scenes. I strongly doubt medical exams to become a Doctor are taken this way Was this retconned later? With Claire taking the exam. I'm confused.

Edited by victoria foxton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, DRW50 said:

 

Liz Taylor raised a child to be more stylish than that. I think even SOD asked why he was always there doing nothing.

 

He later was absolutely dreadful on Dallas as that art museum owner Lucy fell head over heels for, he obviously fell far from the tree as far as talent was concerned. 
 

I agree those 1986 GL eps are very unfocused and seem to be a mishmash of everything. Was this Ryder’s tenure?

 

Something I wanted to touch base on with a 1990 episode @Soapsuds had shared was while it was interesting to see some of the fallout from the Dana Jones & Looney Rae Rooney story, I kind of hated the show had styled  Sherry Stingfield’s Blake look like she was 35 years old or something. Just awful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
32 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

 

He later was absolutely dreadful on Dallas as that art museum owner Lucy fell head over heels for, he obviously fell far from the tree as far as talent was concerned. 
 

I agree those 1986 GL eps are very unfocused and seem to be a mishmash of everything. Was this Ryder’s tenure?

 

Something I wanted to touch base on with a 1990 episode @Soapsuds had shared was while it was interesting to see some of the fallout from the Dana Jones & Looney Rae Rooney story, I kind of hated the show had styled  Sherry Stingfield’s Blake look like she was 35 years old or something. Just awful.

LOL..yes, SS was styled so old. I know EVERYONE loves her as Blake, but I found her campy and her pairing with AM especially with RH..she looked like a lumberjack compared to him. 

 

Vanessa was SO wimpy during this time, going back to Long defusing her right after she married Billy, which made no sense, what made them fun was Van constantly slapping the crap out of Billy and him trying to tame her shrew. They would have made a great, fractious bickering couple, driving each other crazy but loving each other. I love how they made her "Oh, I was so worried about you," while wearing that dowdy nightgown..so NOT Van, she had more spunk with Matt even.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
18 minutes ago, Mitch said:

LOL..yes, SS was styled so old. I know EVERYONE loves her as Blake, but I found her campy and her pairing with AM especially with RH..she looked like a lumberjack compared to him. 

 

Vanessa was SO wimpy during this time, going back to Long defusing her right after she married Billy, which made no sense, what made them fun was Van constantly slapping the crap out of Billy and him trying to tame her shrew. They would have made a great, fractious bickering couple, driving each other crazy but loving each other. I love how they made her "Oh, I was so worried about you," while wearing that dowdy nightgown..so NOT Van, she had more spunk with Matt even.

 

Once they started moving Blake more away from the corporate life I thought they let Sherry become younger, but yes, she was often matronly and very ill-paired with Alan-Michael. 

 

I guess this isn't long before Jordan Clarke left the show for a few years. I know they have Alan planning to marry Vanessa for her shares while being in love with Reva - it's really just Vanessa as a plot device. I wonder if this is why Maeve chose to leave for about a year. 

 

The scene with Calla is interesting as she seems to be fishing for info and trying to manipulate, but it feels more like Maeve trying to add life to the scene than coherent writing. 

57 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

 

He later was absolutely dreadful on Dallas as that art museum owner Lucy fell head over heels for, he obviously fell far from the tree as far as talent was concerned. 
 

I agree those 1986 GL eps are very unfocused and seem to be a mishmash of everything. Was this Ryder’s tenure? 

 

Looking at the credits it seemed to be Ellen Barrett and Mary Ryan Munisteri. I didn't think Ryder was gone by this point but I guess he was. 

 

(Barrett was, what, from SFT...?)

 

Poor Lucy always fell for bland men - or gay ones. 

1 hour ago, victoria foxton said:

@DRW50 GL tried for most of 1986 to make Simon & Jessie into a big super couple.  One of the few good things Manetta /Anderson did was getting rid of them. And i actually liked Simon. But not with BLAND Jessie. I loved Billy Ocean's  When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going playing in the background. Never knew that Vanessa interacted with Simon. Calla was so unlikable. Just can't stand that Herpes ridden bitch. Meave was always BLAND. Did like her friendship with India. Kristi Ferrell was really good in her scenes. I strongly doubt medical exams to become a Doctor are taken this way Was this retconned later? With Claire taking the exam. I'm confused.

 

Apparently it was, yes, with Claire. I remember even at the time some fans being confused about the retcon and finding the whole thing absurd and pointless. The only highlight was when Abby walked in on Claire and Rick "in bed," blasted Claire for her obvious lies, and then told Rick she was leaving him for other reasons anyway. 

 

Rebecca Staab is a good actress, but Jessie is just a non-role. GL never really had much luck with the ingenues. 

 

Sierra and Craig should have put a DMCA on them for Billy Ocean songs.

 

Simon is an interesting character, at times, but, even though I know the actor was straight, the character always reads as gay to me. That Simon/India pairing must have been like the Randee Heller/Billy Crystal conversion pairing on Soap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
14 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

I guess this isn't long before Jordan Clarke left the show for a few years. I know they have Alan planning to marry Vanessa for her shares while being in love with Reva - it's really just Vanessa as a plot device. I wonder if this is why Maeve chose to leave for about a year.

I think I remember at that time that Maeve said she was decided to leave just as they were giving her interesting things. I think her boredom of what Van had become helped make her decision but I think the over riding one was her kids? Agreed that Van is a plot device..it should have been Hope back in Alan's life and then Reva being the "back alley girl" that he was in lust with.  Van deserved her own stories, but I think they had a hard time fitting her in...Mo had the good wife role, Reva the temptress, Alex the cut shark business woman that Van previously had. When Maeve returned after Rauch I wanted her to move into the Alex role and take on Alan and Annie over Spaulding, and for that to cause problems with Matt, not that she was..old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Mitch said:

I think I remember at that time that Maeve said she was decided to leave just as they were giving her interesting things. I think her boredom of what Van had become helped make her decision but I think the over riding one was her kids? Agreed that Van is a plot device..it should have been Hope back in Alan's life and then Reva being the "back alley girl" that he was in lust with.  Van deserved her own stories, but I think they had a hard time fitting her in...Mo had the good wife role, Reva the temptress, Alex the cut shark business woman that Van previously had. When Maeve returned after Rauch I wanted her to move into the Alex role and take on Alan and Annie over Spaulding, and for that to cause problems with Matt, not that she was..old.

 

So maybe she did like the stuff with Alan. I guess working with Chris Bernau must have been a plus. 

 

I think the problem with Vanessa for most of these years was she couldn't go back to being a vixen, but they wouldn't let her be an equal to Billy because the Lewis stories were all about machismo and only Reva was allowed to be her own person in their orbit. Vanessa was treated like a more muted Sue Ellen. She did have the Dinah story, but it doesn't entirely feel like it's about her. And there were other women on the show like India who were filling a complicated antiheroine role. She was boxed in.

 

In the early '90s, Vanessa managed to get some fire back while still being respectable, but then that faded with Matessa. I think your ideas would have worked well for her - and Matt could have felt like he was still her toyboy, not really part of her world, etc.

Edited by DRW50
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mitch said:

Calla had herpes...that was the big secret. I remember the hilarious scene of Jessie reading her medical report (Cedars had the worst patient privacy policies on earth) and the zoom in to "Herpes" and she ran out into the street and may have been hit by a car (or the audience was hoping that) and maybe she just went running around SF until boring Simon caught up to her.  Calla was just one of those extra characters not needed on the show, like the whole Sampson crowd with the record company that stayed too long ..again, if they needed someone in that age range to pair with Ross, why not recast Hope??? Especially with Alan returning.

 

 

It was syphilis. Not that it matters much. 

Edited by Bill Bauer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I agree they often styled Sherry to look much older than she was.  She looked younger on ER several years later!

 

But part of that ended once she had those much more flattering hairstyles/color towards the latter part of her run.

 

Sherry’s Blake is one of my favorite soap bitches of all time.  She’s so much fun in scenes with Alexandra.  And Holly for that matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Sherry and Beth Ehlers are only a year apart in age and when I see scenes now between the two from the late 80’s/early 90’s, Harley looks her age and Blake looks like a 40 year old business woman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
5 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Sierra and Craig should have put a DMCA on them for Billy Ocean songs.

 

 

Years ago, I remember hearing Billy Ocean perform a beautiful acoustic version of "Suddenly" and thought, "if only they had brought back Bryce and Finn sometime in that last decade, that song would've been a glorious take on their theme.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
20 hours ago, titan1978 said:

Sherry’s Blake is one of my favorite soap bitches of all time.  She’s so much fun in scenes with Alexandra.  And Holly for that matter.

One of my favorite scenes..Blake and AM in the Spaulding Mansion with Alex..Vera (a problematic character but it was a different time) is serving coffee or something and leans over to grab  a plate and sticks her ass in Blake's face just as Blake was saying something..bitchy of course! So funny, nothing was said but the look on SS's face, coupled with the smug looks on Alex's and Veras face was hilarious and I wonder if it was a director's choice.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 minute ago, Mitch said:

One of my favorite scenes..Blake and AM in the Spaulding Mansion with Alex..Vera (a problematic character but it was a different time) is serving coffee or something and leans over to grab  a plate and sticks her ass in Blake's face just as Blake was saying something..bitchy of course! So funny, nothing was said but the look on SS's face, coupled with the smug looks on Alex's and Veras face was hilarious and I wonder if it was a director's choice.

 

One of my favorites that was just a throwaway scene, starts at around the 2 minute mark.  I also love the music at the beginning of this scene.

 

I wish somebody would stream these shows!!! 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
20 minutes ago, titan1978 said:

One of my favorites that was just a throwaway scene, starts at around the 2 minute mark.  I also love the music at the beginning of this scene.

 

I wish somebody would stream these shows!!! 
 

 

Even then when they were just writing Alex as an outright bitch..you can see Bev making it more.  I loved Marj but she just would have spit out the lines with venom just what she read on the page. "Pavlov's dogs should be trained as well..Ill have a vodka!"

 

I forgot that even in its glory days GL had some weak spots..such as Nick's DNA and people even questioning that someone who looks and talks exactly like Lujack could not be his twin.  Loved it when people actually worked (as ridiculous as it is with them carring files around to show it...) and had something else on their minds then "true love" and whatever the hell Reva and Josh were up to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy