Paul Raven

Guiding Light discussion thread

On 9/9/2020 at 12:24 PM, DRW50 said:

Good find. 

He makes sense, and I think they did tease a death story for Rick around 1974 or 1975. It's not as if P&G had any issue with killing off legacy kids - ATWT Lisa's son was killed around this time.

I was just reading the history of the show around that time and I came across this:

"At Ed's urging, Holly and little Freddie went on a picnic. The outing ended when Freddie's clothes caught fire. Afterward, Leslie insisted that Holly never care for her son again unless Ed was present. Then Mike took Freddie, who was both his nephew and his stepson, on a canoe trip. During the trip, Freddie was washed downstream. The frightened boy was rescued by a mountain man and suffered from a brief bout with amnesia." 

Sounds like at least one writer had fantasies of offing the kid. LOL. 

22 minutes ago, Bill Bauer said:

I was just reading the history of the show around that time and I came across this:

"At Ed's urging, Holly and little Freddie went on a picnic. The outing ended when Freddie's clothes caught fire. Afterward, Leslie insisted that Holly never care for her son again unless Ed was present. Then Mike took Freddie, who was both his nephew and his stepson, on a canoe trip. During the trip, Freddie was washed downstream. The frightened boy was rescued by a mountain man and suffered from a brief bout with amnesia." 

OMG this is absurd. Lol. I can't believe P&G approved this to air. Is this in the official history books? 

3 hours ago, soapfave06 said:

OMG this is absurd. Lol. I can't believe P&G approved this to air. Is this in the official history books? 

Yes. I got it from the Guiding Light 60th Anniversary Book by Julie Poll.

On 9/19/2020 at 7:19 PM, Bill Bauer said:

Ahhh...see B & E is on to something...the first indication of the Nursery Rhyme Stalker....("Well, that didn't work out, okay, Ill work on  it..maybe I will go after the mothers!")  I would have to agree with Leslie..if someone took my kid on a picnic and they ended up on fire...

@Asb23The guys a real trip. Just as inept as Alan in his own way. Sometimes he just stares at his guest. Jerry and Liz look great. Soaps Past is still way more likable than Alan. SP has a real love and passion for the soaps unlike Alan. Plus he knows his history. 

Edited by victoria foxton

On 9/20/2020 at 12:01 AM, Bill Bauer said:

Yes. I got it from the Guiding Light 60th Anniversary Book by Julie Poll.

I believe Poll's book had a number if inaccuracies. If I recall correctly, didn't she also say that Paul Kincaid was Bill Bauer and Simone Kincaid's biological son?

14 minutes ago, robbwolff said:

I believe Poll's book had a number if inaccuracies. If I recall correctly, didn't she also say that Paul Kincaid was Bill Bauer and Simone Kincaid's biological son?

Many of the so-called history books have errors in them, which fans are wont to notice and point out. It's very frustrating. Don't even get me started on those dreadful Soaps & Serials novelizations...yikes!

Holly becoming the Nursery rhyme stalker kind of made sense..had the writers looked at her history..it made sense.

Abandoned by her dad as a baby, never really dealt with that trauma hence why she was not an effective mom, plus was raped by a man she did love, felt guilt for loving her rapist, than thought she got a 2nd chance at motherhood..and when she blew it...she lost both her husband and daughter....so she snapped.

18 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

Holly becoming the Nursery rhyme stalker kind of made sense..had the writers looked at her history..it made sense.

Abandoned by her dad as a baby, never really dealt with that trauma hence why she was not an effective mom, plus was raped by a man she did love, felt guilt for loving her rapist, than thought she got a 2nd chance at motherhood..and when she blew it...she lost both her husband and daughter....so she snapped.

Agreed..plus she looked sexy as hell in that leather. Too bad the whole thing was so stupid..but that was a hallmark of Rauch/BE..there was a good storyline hiding in there somewhere but it becomes cartoony and over the top.  If they kept it like Sayers "Gaudy Night" where there are letters going around accusing, threatening and an "accident" or two to keep it interesting...and pitting everyone in. town against each other with suspicions..while Holly sat back and watched.  But that may have been too subtle for the GL audience at that time which must have been primed for a the mob and a dumb island.