• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
26 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

You ENJOYED a Locher Room interview? LOL

Please register in order to view this content
 but I still need to watch this one. I don't do them live and I'm behind on a few of them, lol. 

Glad to hear some tea was spilled.

I usually see them live but I've been busy with other things You know it's good when the hour and half flies by. I only have the casting directors one to see. I saw the Bloss one on Friday.

• Members
2 hours ago, DRW50 said:

PMV would have been a great hire for GL (I know he had a small role but I mean a more permanent part). I might have brought him in as a recast of someone like Johnny Bauer and tried to expand the Bauer family that way. 

Yeah, he just was the full package as a soap Everyman. Wholesome but not bland or weak, witty, lots of chemistry with partners, handsome in an accessible way. Sort of a Middle America archetype that would have been well-suited for a Bauer. Or another role. He would have been young for Rick, but I think he would have fit the MOL mold while executing on a higher level. (It wouldn’t have been a *totally* new direction in terms of look or type.) But, in any case, GL (or any soap) would have been lucky to have his presence onscreen.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members
25 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Yeah, he just was the full package as a soap Everyman. Wholesome but not bland or weak, witty, lots of chemistry with partners, handsome in an accessible way. Sort of a Middle America archetype that would have been well-suited for a Bauer. Or another role. He would have been young for Rick, but I think he would have fit the MOL mold while executing on a higher level. (It wouldn’t have been a *totally* new direction in terms of look or type.) But, in any case, GL (or any soap) would have been lucky to have his presence onscreen.

I don't think the show would have been interested in Rick whoever was in the role, to be honest, which is why I suggested another role, but I see what you mean.

• Members
2 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

I usually see them live but I've been busy with other things You know it's good when the hour and half flies by. I only have the casting directors one to see. I saw the Bloss one on Friday.

Other ... things? ....

I'm glad though it was a good one.

Edited by KMan101

• Members
On 9/4/2020 at 10:33 PM, Paul Raven said:

Mart Hulswit was cute as younger man but by the early 80's he was overweight and balding thus the decision to let him go.

Don Stewart had aged much better, so Mike was retained at that time.

I'm sure it was more than just a (slight) degradation in Hulswit's appearance which led to his termination. Douglas Marland was too vitriolic, almost gleefully so, about the actor for the firing to be about MH's looks.

And truth be told, Peter Simon was quite close in age to Hulswit, and had thinning hair as well, so Marland's contention that they needed a "younger, sexier Ed" was absurd. 

• Members
9 minutes ago, Vee said:

Wait, they all hated Michael O'Leary and wanted him fired? He probably should've been in the 90s tbh but...

No. They were referring to a child actor on the show back in the early 1980s. They didn't seem to recall who the actor was or which character he played. The decision was made to kill off the character but then the producer announced at a meeting that they had changed their minds. At that point, Charita turned to the person sitting next to her and said something like, "Well, he'll be dead in our hearts forever."

Peter Simon talked very glowingly of O'Leary.

Edited by robbwolff

• Members
1 hour ago, robbwolff said:

No. They were referring to a child actor on the show back in the early 1980s. They didn't seem to recall who the actor was or which character he played. The decision was made to kill off the character but then the producer announced at a meeting that they had changed their minds. At that point, Charita turned to the person sitting next to her and said something like, "Well, he'll be dead in our hearts forever."

I just watched the interview. It appears to be Gary Hannoch who they are referring to. He played Freddy Bauer from 1972 to 1976. 

• Members

I thought there was another Rick in the early 80s I vaguely recall from the classic eps CBS used to run. Phil MacGregor! That's the name. Simon didn't start on GL til '81, long after that kid above.

MacGregor posted by someone on our own site, when I google searched:

Edited by Vee

• Members
28 minutes ago, Bill Bauer said:

I just watched the interview. It appears to be Gary Hannoch who they are referring to. He played Freddy Bauer from 1972 to 1976. 

Yup, even Charita wasn't fond of him. 

8 minutes ago, Vee said:

I thought there was another Rick in the early 80s I vaguely recall from the classic eps CBS used to run. Phil MacGregor! That's the name. Simon didn't start on GL til '81, long after that kid above.

MacGregor posted by someone on our own site, when I google searched:

This was before Simon joined GL. It was a story told to him and his wife Courtney. The whole cast I believe was involved in the discussion and Peter wasn't there yet.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members
15 hours ago, robbwolff said:

I think someone here posted synopses from 1976 - wasn't Rick missing and a big story point was about Leslie believing he was dead, or something?

17 hours ago, Vee said:

Wait, they all hated Michael O'Leary and wanted him fired? He probably should've been in the 90s tbh but...

Sorry, I know this was already answered - I was just responding to the second part.  I could swear I read something about them considering a recast of Rick not long after MOL left in 1991, but I'm not sure. 

• Members
2 hours ago, DRW50 said:

I think someone here posted synopses from 1976 - wasn't Rick missing and a big story point was about Leslie believing he was dead, or something?

Sorry, I know this was already answered - I was just responding to the second part.  I could swear I read something about them considering a recast of Rick not long after MOL left in 1991, but I'm not sure. 

SOD did report that the show was recasting Rick, and his next story would be about his undying love for Beth, coming off them pretending to be together while trying to prove Philip innocent of killing Neil. But then Grant Aleksander quit, so they sent Philip and Beth on their "happy ending," and scrapped plans to recast Rick. Had Aleksander stayed i don't know what would've happened because Pam Long left around the same time and I don't know what Curlee/Demorest/Reilly would've done with them.