Jump to content


Paul Raven

Guiding Light discussion thread

Recommended Posts


On 8/9/2020 at 5:20 PM, DeliaIrisFan said:

I am watching Bryan Buffington's interview now, and I will most certainly catch Ellen Parker, et al ASAP.  I will not criticize anyone who is doing this for free, and I am grateful, but I do have a dumb question: What is the rationale for streaming these live?  It is sometimes nice to hear "so and so is watching and just tweeted that they miss you"—depending on who "so and so" is—but it doesn't seem like they're taking that many questions from the audience in real time.  I haven't been able to watch any of them live, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on much other than having to wait.

 

Is there a legal reason, something to do with the video component, because all of the interviewers appear to be archiving recordings of the full interviews for posterity?  I remember Brandon of Brandon's Buzz never posted (audio) interviews live on his podcast—I assume so that he could edit—and in hindsight those seemed much smoother without technical interruptions when he finally dropped those.  (I do hope Brandon is okay, BTW—I've checked his site repeatedly during this time hoping he would post some soap content.)

 

With these Zoom reunions, even if someone isn't a professional video editor it seems like they could just start recording when everyone is truly connected and take a pause in the conversation when someone is having technical issues (or cut them out of the conversation and focus on the remaining guests) and get a tight hour or however long these beloved people are willing to offer.  Fans could submit questions beforehand, etc.

 

I feel like it's more "fun" to watch live. But I can understand wanting an edited version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over in The Locher Room Ellen Parker (Maureen) talking about how JFP called while she was taking a nap so she can get ready for a show she was doing on stage to tell her they were getting rid of her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Forever8 said:

Over in The Locher Room Ellen Parker (Maureen) talking about how JFP called while she was taking a nap so she can get ready for a show she was doing on stage to tell her they were getting rid of her. 

JFP is a cold hearted b!tch!

4 minutes ago, Forever8 said:

Over in The Locher Room Ellen Parker (Maureen) talking about how JFP called while she was taking a nap so she can get ready for a show she was doing on stage to tell her they were getting rid of her. 

JFP is a cold hearted b!tch!

 

 

IMG_20200812_142018.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Rachel say she read in a magazine that her part was being recast?  I'm so glad that Ellen Parker didn't hold back about exactly how she found out about Maureen's fate. The show/JFP was truly cold, these actors deserved better than to be treated with so little courtesy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Did Rachel say she read in a magazine that her part was being recast?  I'm so glad that Ellen Parker didn't hold back about exactly how she found out about Maureen's fate. The show/JFP was truly cold, these actors deserved better than to be treated with so little courtesy. 

 

I always assumed she was young and left on her own.

 

I'm glad Ellen was so open. I need to watch this one. I typically wait until after they're done to watch, LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

 

I always assumed she was young and left on her own.

 

I'm glad Ellen was so open. I need to watch this one. I typically wait until after they're done to watch, LOL

 

Yeah, I kind of missed a chunk of Guiding Light in the mid-late 90s and when I saw Rachel Miner in other things, I guess I too assumed she left to do other things.  Tells you how much we know, huh?

She said that it was said that she was seen as too young for all the sexuality-based stories they wanted Michelle to be in, so they replaced her and didn't bother to tell her first.

I really do believe that how a company treats their staff/employees will impact the fate of that business. Is it any wonder GL ended up the way it did in the decade that followed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

Yeah, I kind of missed a chunk of Guiding Light in the mid-late 90s and when I saw Rachel Miner in other things, I guess I too assumed she left to do other things.  Tells you how much we know, huh?

She said that it was said that she was seen as too young for all the sexuality-based stories they wanted Michelle to be in, so they replaced her and didn't bother to tell her first.

I really do believe that how a company treats their staff/employees will impact the fate of that business. Is it any wonder GL ended up the way it did in the decade that followed?

 

Interesting. Yeah, I just assumed because she was so talented and had other work she jumped ship like most younger actors do. Agreed, tells you how much we know lol. But after hearing about certain actresses being blacklisted and for years wondering why they disappeared ... I guess we should never assume anymore, lol.

 

I can see that they thought she was too young but sit her down and tell her! lol I've never understood why soaps can't sit the actors down and let them go? DAYS does this [!@#$%^&*] STILL today. It's horrible and a sign of horrible leadership. Agreed that it's probably why they collapsed.

 

And why certain shows struggle and remain on life support after destructive EPs and HW's get done with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maeve and Tina Sloan have not aged!

 

Glad to see Parker, and to see Rachel seems to be doing well with her illness. I'd still have her and the Bauer kids anchor that show.

Edited by Vee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Vee said:

Maeve and Tina Sloan have not aged!

 

Glad to see Parker, and to see Rachel seems to be doing well with her illness. I'd still have her and the Bauer kids anchor that show.

 

I agree Maeve and Tina Sloan have not aged. Was going to post that but didn't. 

 

Anyone see the next AW reunion scheduled? Why does Kale Browne have to be there? Such great women ... I know it's likely because of Anna Stuart being involved but ... ugh, lol. Sorry. Anyway ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sloan roasting the Maureen letter is a hoot. I'd forgotten it was apparently her idea to have the scene of Lillian at Maureen's grave at the end of the series, which I appreciated and which made me like the character again. I don't know if she wrote it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Did Rachel say she read in a magazine that her part was being recast?  I'm so glad that Ellen Parker didn't hold back about exactly how she found out about Maureen's fate. The show/JFP was truly cold, these actors deserved better than to be treated with so little courtesy. 

 

Yep. That's what she said. I think she was written out in May 1995, so I'm not sure if it was Farren Phelps or Michael Laibson who fired her.  Tina Sloan seemed genuinely surprised about how Ellen Parker got news of her firing. It was so wonderful to see all four of them. I got choked up when I saw Ellen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

Michael Laibson talked about recasting Michelle when he joined the show. I think it was his decision.

 

Also, Rachel’s father was Peter Miner, a longtime director at OLTL.

During the OLTL reunion, Erin Torpey talked about how Rachel was up for the role of Jessica  when she was auditioning 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...