Paul Raven

Guiding Light discussion thread

16 hours ago, BetterForgotten said:

I believe Tammy and Lisa Brown actually worked very closely together when Brown became an acting coach on GL after leaving.

I don't get why they didn't just keep Nola on recurring while Lisa worked backstage..she could have kept Company (so the stank of the Coopers didnt infect it) and just been like an Amy Vinning, but at the bar, getting in everyone's business.

I did watch the reunion,  Paulo seemed kind of frenetic.

I do like the pieces of info we get on these (i.e. Kimberly brown was up for the Judy Garland part, turned it down, and Tammy got it).

I love the Beth Ehler stories..she seemed like a cool person through the late 90s.  

On 7/29/2020 at 8:43 AM, Mitch said:

no directors ever pulled him back and the writing supported his worst tendancies...

(...)

I hope he does well as he seems like a nice guy who really respects the GL opportunity.

I was a bit harsh and petty. It is true that I have tremendous respect and appreciation for someone who still celebrates his beginnings and he does have talent.

And more importantly your point about directors is key. THIS should have been their job to channel his energy and talent in a more subtle manner. That they didn't and it ended up being too much was as much their fault as his. I fully agree with that.

23 hours ago, Alan said:

He has also made several references to his weight gain.

Setting aside the energy, I thought he looked good even thicker (and it is not even that bad).

On 7/28/2020 at 9:16 PM, BetterForgotten said:

I didn’t see his work on Ozark, but part of me is glad he was snubbed as he always turned me off on GL and the hype machine around him at the time was too much and not warranted, IMO.

I totally got the hype because unfortunately too many viewers are accustomed to bad to mediocre acting. Zeroing in on the pool of young male soap actors, it's easy to see how someone like Pelphrey would stand out. He was a talented young actor with formal training and a degree from a well-regarded program. He wasn't some model who'd never even had a single lesson and "learned how to act on the job". I'm not implying that a trained actor is a superior actor, but training certainly puts an actor at an advantage. Pelphrey had his ticks and tricks like most actors and one could sense that he fancied himself in the lineage of his idols. But I'll take that over what I call the MWM, models who memorize.

13 hours ago, SFK said:

I totally got the hype because unfortunately too many viewers are accustomed to bad to mediocre acting. Zeroing in on the pool of young male soap actors, it's easy to see how someone like Pelphrey would stand out. He was a talented young actor with formal training and a degree from a well-regarded program. He wasn't some model who'd never even had a single lesson and "learned how to act on the job". I'm not implying that a trained actor is a superior actor, but training certainly puts an actor at an advantage. Pelphrey had his ticks and tricks like most actors and one could sense that he fancied himself in the lineage of his idols. But I'll take that over what I call the MWM, models who memorize.

Totally agree...I mean look a Paulo in essentially the same role. I also think the thing about TP...was that he wasn't a generic pretty boy, and he brought, more a first, a sexual energy that most of the young male soap stars cant...they look like they just want to screw themselves. I sound like a TP fanboy which I am not..his run exhausted me but again, it was more the writing (taking Jonathon in the generic bad boy with a heart of gold TWU wuv thing was such a waste and I think he ovecompensated when he could) and directing.

I'll always find Rick hot and brilliant, no matter how bad his GH stories got. DAYS should've brought him back aeons ago.

He talks about Beverlee McKinsey, who he says adored Chris Bernau. My first brush with Chris Bernau was in his role on Dark Shadows in SyFy reruns when I was a kid; he was always clearly talented, but I didn't fully appreciate him until I began to glimpse him as Alan on WOST years later. He was sexy and powerful, and a world apart from the blustering fool I'd always seen Ron Raines play.

11 hours ago, katie_9918 said:

How was TP not a generic pretty boy who just basically growled or screamed his first year?

To each their own..I never thought of TP as pretty...but.  And I think he was more subtle his first few months..but maybe he wasnt on as much until Kreizman started writing him everyday.

I just got to where Rita learns she’s pregnant and wants to keep it to herself but Viola decides to call Eve and tell her, and even though this is such a tiny transgression, I don’t think I’ve ever felt as quick and as intense a hatred as I feel towards Viola right now. How pushy and meddlesome! Fu.ck!

2 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

I never found TP as pretty or even hot for that matter. All I remember is that his character was always angry. TP shouted and yelled and he called that acting.

I managed to make it through Conboy's tenure and I even liked the Danny/Michelle/Tony triangle everyone hated. Tom Pelphrey was the last straw for me. I never understood his appeal and the hateful storylines. I don't think I ever watched another episode of GL shortly after he arrived.