Jump to content


Paul Raven

Guiding Light discussion thread

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, jam6242 said:

I think Kathleen Cullen was pregnant in real life around this time too.

 

Geez. 

 

As much as I wish more of those years was available, I'm not sorry I haven't seen this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it was Yates’ decision to leave.  He came back in January 1982, and Janet Grey was written out with him.  I do remember Ben and Eve reconciling.  Eve wasn’t doing much around this time except working in the book store.

 

6EA09B9A-37CA-4BE7-BDF3-033CBBD7E6C9.jpeg

DC6FE301-39B1-4B02-8679-30A09F4024CC.jpeg

A56DB7C2-31DF-4791-A485-F3EA495BF15C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why on earth would the columnist think the 1981-83 opening credits were blatantly similar to the ones running on SFT and OLTL at the time? Am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Franko said:

Why on earth would the columnist think the 1981-83 opening credits were blatantly similar to the ones running on SFT and OLTL at the time? Am I missing something?

 

I don't get that either. I can see the comparison to the Another Life credits, but OLTL's at this point were just a bird flying and a sunrise (I love those credits but they were nothing similar to GL's).

 

Thanks for the articles, @jam6242. I was sure Eve was around longer than that - didn't she have some involvement in the Carrie saga? Weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't the comparison GL vAL and SFT v OLTL?

 

Over his tenure Marland slowly dropped a lot of the Dobson's characters.

Elizabeth, Rita, Holly, Lucille, Diane, Roger, Sara, Steve, Adam, Barbara.

Some of these were the actor's choice or network dictates.

He did have a dilemma with some of the older characters as Barbara, Steve and Adam had no family left on the show so it was difficult to include them and they were probably drawing hefty salaries due to vet status. Marland would probably been happy to weave them in somehow but was overruled.

But he kept Alan, Hope, Ben,Amanda, Jackie, Eve, Ross in the mix so the show didn't seem overrun with newbies.

The big mistake was dropping Mike, Hope, Ben, Amanda, Hilary, Floyd,Eve, Katie, Morgan, Kelly etc fairly suddenly and turning the show over to Reva, etc.

Marland had set up the Reardons as the complimentary long term family to the Bauers but they began dropping like flies also.

And the succeeding teams then began chipping away at those newish characters and those from previous regimes until there was mismash of chracters and fragmented families.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DRW50 said:

 

I don't get that either. I can see the comparison to the Another Life credits, but OLTL's at this point were just a bird flying and a sunrise (I love those credits but they were nothing similar to GL's).

 

Thanks for the articles, @jam6242. I was sure Eve was around longer than that - didn't she have some involvement in the Carrie saga? Weird.

Eve was definitely around longer. I started watching in April 1982 and she was still there. She was even around in June 1983 during Nola and Quint’s engagement party. I recall a scene with her and Phillip. The character vanished around that time. 
 

The comparison of GL to Another Life doesn’t make sense. AL premiered in 1981 and had opening credits similar to OLTL and what SFT had. Makes me wonder if GL has another opening planned but it was scrapped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, robbwolff said:

Eve was definitely around longer. I started watching in April 1982 and she was still there. She was even around in June 1983 during Nola and Quint’s engagement party. I recall a scene with her and Phillip. The character vanished around that time. 
 

The comparison of GL to Another Life doesn’t make sense. AL premiered in 1981 and had opening credits similar to OLTL and what SFT had. Makes me wonder if GL has another opening planned but it was scrapped.

 

I was thinking of AL's opening with various quick shots. When did that start?

 

Thanks. I wonder if Eve reunited with Ben at that time but he was just no longer on the show...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DRW50 said:

 

I was thinking of AL's opening with various quick shots. When did that start?

 

Thanks. I wonder if Eve reunited with Ben at that time but he was just no longer on the show...

 

AL premiered in June 1981. Its original opening credits were very similar to what we saw on SFT's revamped credits: birds flying over the ocean and an image of the sun. At that time, OLTL also had credits with images of birds flying in the sky and the sun. The quick shots AL opening premiered around episode 210, so sometime around March 1982.

 

Eve was definitely around in July 1982 when Jackie died in the plane crash. There are scenes online of her with Maureen, Ross, and Justin in Justin's living room discussing Jackie's death. And Janet Grey's name appears in closing credits for an April 1983 episode where Rebecca and Mark fell off a cliff. Carolyn DeMoney Culliton, Richard Culliton, and Gary Tomlin were credited as head writers in that episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DRW50 said:

 

 

Thanks for the articles, @jam6242. I was sure Eve was around longer than that - didn't she have some involvement in the Carrie saga? Weird.

Yes, I remember that she did now that you mentioned it.  Carrie somehow arranged for Eve to find Carrie's earring in Justin's bed and Eve told Jackie about it.  Jackie left town shortly after that.  I know Eve was around when Jackie's plane crashed, so Janet must have returned for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched the Blackout storyline on YouTube.

 

What a great set of culminations and jumping off of new storylines.  Lots of what if’s as I watch.


What if Sherry Stringfield had stayed?  Would Blake have kept her edge?
 

Was there a possibility that Maureen and Roger could have had an affair or become a couple, especially if she had survived the accident?

 

I do have to laugh that in these circumstances they managed to find a way to get Dylan’s shirt mostly off.


If I were in charge in let’s say 1996 or so, I would have begged Kimberly Simms and Beverlee McKinsey to return to the show, and convinced Curlee to come back and bring the show back from the edge it was dangling/had slipped off of.

 

Vincent Irrizary was so hot back then.

Edited by titan1978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 5:32 PM, vetsoapfan said:

After Simon left the first time, TGL should have jumped at the chance to rehire MH. Instead, they cast an even MORE inappropriate actor in Richard Van Fleet. EEEK!

 

THAT would have been a great idea...especially with all the changes happening at once, with Mike, gone, Hillary killed off and Bert off canvas (they couldnt help that but they relied too much on Charita being there to say "See, the Bauers are still important to us.) An old face would have been great.

On 1/18/2020 at 9:30 PM, vetsoapfan said:

I've never heard anything about Yates' reaction to that awful plot, but I do remember Peter Simon talking about Tom O'Rourke ranting and raving in disgust as he left the building after he was fired, LOL.

O'Rourke took to the hall playing bag pipes to protest, very funny.  That was too stupid to fire him right after the Phillip reveal...he had years and years of fighting with Alan and Alex...hmm. I could see him with BevAlex... I wonder what that was about. I would love a no holds barred interview with Long explaining that choice and dozens of others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Mitch said:

 

THAT would have been a great idea...especially with all the changes happening at once, with Mike, gone, Hillary killed off and Bert off canvas (they couldnt help that but they relied too much on Charita being there to say "See, the Bauers are still important to us.) An old face would have been great.

O'Rourke took to the hall playing bag pipes to protest, very funny.  That was too stupid to fire him right after the Phillip reveal...he had years and years of fighting with Alan and Alex...hmm. I could see him with BevAlex... I wonder what that was about. I would love a no holds barred interview with Long explaining that choice and dozens of others.

 

Definitely seemed like a mistake to dump him. But "out with the old" ...

 

And then they recast in 1990/1991 and the guy felt like he should have been a Mike recast instead, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel vindicated reading the last couple of pages and all the mentions of how dour Simon is as Ed.  I’ve been watching a lot of the classic early 1990’s stuff this week, and he is really lifeless.  I just keep thinking why would Holly, Maureen and Lilian want this drip?  He’s dull and kind of a nasty passive aggressive jerk.  Sanctimonious, smug, and boring all in one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, titan1978 said:

I feel vindicated reading the last couple of pages and all the mentions of how dour Simon is as Ed.  I’ve been watching a lot of the classic early 1990’s stuff this week, and he is really lifeless.  I just keep thinking why would Holly, Maureen and Lilian want this drip?  He’s dull and kind of a nasty passive aggressive jerk.  Sanctimonious, smug, and boring all in one. 

 

While Simon's Ed is my Ed., I do agree with this statement. 

 

I was just rewatching the Julie/Hart/Dylan/Bridget climax and how Ed scolded Bridget made me want to jump through the screen. He was so sanctimonious and smug while wagging his hypocritical finger at Bridget for calling out Julie for sleeping around. It irks my soul that the writers didn't have Bridget rip Ed a new one in that scene. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...