Paul Raven

Guiding Light discussion thread

On 12/22/2019 at 11:44 PM, victoria foxton said:

''GUIDING LIGHT'' September 5 & 6, 2001

Lord this is so bad. And the garish lighting. I always felt GL overcompensating for filming in NY by having the most brightly lit soundstages in daytime. And it's still crazy to me 20 years later that they fired Laura Bell Bundy when she was clearly the best Maura.

17 hours ago, Darn said:

Lord this is so bad. And the garish lighting. I always felt GL overcompensating for filming in NY by having the most brightly lit soundstages in daytime. And it's still crazy to me 20 years later that they fired Laura Bell Bundy when she was clearly the best Maura.

No..it was Rauch and his love for blasting the lights which he brought over from ABC. God, the monarchy and the mob crap...so damn boring...and for a show so worried about demos, so damn retro silly.   Who knew the highlight would be a discussion between Frank and Blake as old friends..just talking? I still think they should have made Ross and Blake the core talk to couple...LK never was good with the bitchy Blake she was always too nice and warm. 

Both Stringfield and LK were funny when playing Blake..but in different ways.  Stringfield had a dry sense of humor (like Maureen Garrett ) while LK had a more whimsical sense of humor (which the show used to full effect. Sometimes too much).

I did love the brief times the show remembered Blake and Frank as friends. 

On 1/2/2020 at 5:20 PM, Darn said:

16 hours ago, KateW said:

25 years ago this month was the Fifth Street Fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6w1Bf-B5hw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ySvlfKJiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULkBWGXuEPM

This was probably Jill's last big umbrella storyline as she would be out in less than 6 months.

Fifth Street Fire! Loss of Laura Bell Bundy!

16 hours ago, KateW said:

On 1/3/2020 at 11:16 AM, Mitch said:

No..it was Rauch and his love for blasting the lights which he brought over from ABC. God, the monarchy and the mob crap...so damn boring...and for a show so worried about demos, so damn retro silly.   Who knew the highlight would be a discussion between Frank and Blake as old friends..just talking? I still think they should have made Ross and Blake the core talk to couple...LK never was good with the bitchy Blake she was always too nice and warm. 

Oh gosh 2001 was such a mess of a year for GL. 48% of it was awful Santos family melee, 48% of it was horrific San Cristobel drivel, and the other 2% was focused on hogwash such as Rick/Harley/Phillip and Romeo Jones. What was so funny is Rauch touted Gold as “not hack who has been on 18 different shows” even though Gold had previously actually worked with Rauch on both AW and OLTL

28 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

Oh gosh 2001 was such a mess of a year for GL. 48% of it was awful Santos family melee, 48% of it was horrific San Cristobel drivel, and the other 2% was focused on hogwash such as Rick/Harley/Phillip and Romeo Jones. What was so funny is Rauch touted Gold as “not hack who has been on 18 different shows” even though Gold had previously actually worked with Rauch on both AW and OLTL

San Cristobel was utter crap!

On 1/3/2020 at 11:16 AM, Mitch said:

No..it was Rauch and his love for blasting the lights which he brought over from ABC. 

I've NEVER noticed this on ABC soaps and I grew up on them. GL is the only soap I've been utterly distracted by the ridiculous lighting. The outdoor scenes always had as much lighting as the indoor ones.

2 minutes ago, Darn said:

I've NEVER noticed this on ABC soaps and I grew up on them. GL is the only soap I've been utterly distracted by the ridiculous lighting. The outdoor scenes always had as much lighting as the indoor ones.

I remember some fans saying Rauch did the same at OLTL, but I don't notice it quite as much. 

On 1/4/2020 at 5:38 PM, soapfan770 said:

To show how bad this was...I don't even remember Romeo Jones..who the hell was he?

4 minutes ago, Mitch said:

To show how bad this was...I don't even remember Romeo Jones..who the hell was he?

Romeo's main claim to fame is probably that he killed Catalina and framed Tony to win Marah (or something like that). I remember liking the actor. 

7 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Romeo's main claim to fame is probably that he killed Catalina and framed Tony to win Marah (or something like that). I remember liking the actor. 

LOL..okay, now I remember poor dull Catalina who got conked on the head with a statue or whatever and no one really cared.

42 minutes ago, Mitch said:

LOL..okay, now I remember poor dull Catalina who got conked on the head with a statue or whatever and no one really cared.

The only highlight of this era was when Abuela started going around angrily spitting out "Puta!"