Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

have classes with a lot of work to do, upgraded my cable with so many channels of different shows, movies, music and etc that I can watch and I still would rather watch GL - I was GL 3rd gen. with GL all my life - still miss the light and no new GL to record, but I will never watch what took my GL place and yes with a cheap show and I have taken my business elsewhere - I would have never watched Balloon Boy if my GL had been on.

:wacko:

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It is so sad, but there has been no Light for 10 weeks and I still miss GL and all the characters I loved.It is so sad, but there has been no Light for 10 weeks and I still miss GL and all the characters I loved - would like to see Eddie on a beach with a drink in his hand.

:unsure:

• Members

P&G Productions claims to still be working on making GL a web video series, or somehow otherwise keep GL alive beyond just text/Twitter form. The effort has been confirmed over Twitter by a PGP employee, Dave Knox, who met with TeleNext about it. Frank Dicopoulos has also continued to say that P&G has been working on something. It was also referred to in an email by Lucas Watson, a P&G exec.

But that doesn't mean anything will happen ... And they don't want fans emailing them or doing anything else yet ... But still there is hope.

Edited by jfung79

• Members

Got to say it has been just awful since CBS took off GL - wish it was all a bad dream and I would wake up and find the Light was still on and we could watch and record GL again and I will never watch the show that took our GL place - hear from other people who took one look at LMAD - say it was terrible and they would never watch it again - I miss the Light!!!

:rolleyes:

• Members

Word has it that the 12/15 issue of SOD has named GL as most improved show. It's funny because I was indeed nit-picky and less than enthused at GL this past summer--hell I seriously doubted that Josh and Reva would actually end up together but in retrospect I have to give credit where its due, especially towards Jill Lorie Hurst and the all the wonderful returns no matter how botched up some where. Never in a million years, not even back in early summer did I ever think Billy and Vanessa and Ed and Holly would ever be reunited!

• Members

The crazy thing is that these returns were part of 'giving fans what they want' for the finale.

So TPTB knew fans would like to see these characters/actors.

So why not bring them back in the final years,not weeks.Maybe a return to what made the show popular would have saved it.

• Members

On the flip side SOD did call out the Jeffery cliffhanger in another category. Why GL just didn't leave the character dead I'll never understand, and Jonathan is letting Reva think he's dead. They probably should have shown Jeffery and Edmund killing each other in the 9/17 episode instead of Edmund blowing the kiss goodbye. Pathetic subplot that went nowhere. I hated Jeffery with a passion and I hope he did kick the bucket for real, but it still mildly perturbs me that it wasn't resolved.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I don't think Ellen Wheeler could have done that, she seemed to adore Jeffrey.

The idea of Jeffrey chasing Edmund forever isn't the worst, although I did want better for Edmund. I was hoping he might have a happy ending. I hated that he came back only to be the crazy foil for the saintly Shaynes/Lewises yet again.

• Members

Hmm I'd have to agree about Edmund. One of the few good things Ellen Weston did was continuing the redemption of Edmund to great lengths. Yet in an attempt to restore some of Edmund's edge, Kriezman had him go insane and turned into a laughable maniacal villain complete with giant floating heads talking to him. DAM deserved so much better especially for the once redeemed character.

Dinah also deserved a heck lot better exit. Sure she is probably living the fun life with Mallet but she goes out as murderess on the run, just like she was when she returned in '04. Not the best thing to go full circle with...

• Members

I hate the dramatic irony style of writing, and I thought the wrapup to the non-Edmund murder story was a mess. I did like her goodbye scene with Vanessa, and her last scenes with Mallet, but yeah, it should have been better. I guess it could have been worse.

Who was your favorite love interest for Rick over the years? I was watching some of the 80s stuff and he seemed very natural with Roxie, although that may have been only a few episodes.

I was also watching this episode from August 1989. It starts here.

It seems to be an episode when the show was in transition, as the Will Jeffries story was winding down, Beth was on the way back, Holly had just returned and was offcamera trying to get WSPR from Phillip.

Still, there are some golden moments. I really love the playfulness with Alan-Michael and Phillip (I wish they hadn't rewritten them to be rivals when GA returned in 1996). And the moment where Reva asks Dylan if it killed him to see his adopted child...one of Kim's best performances.

I have such a hard time imagining Ross and Nadine together.

• Members

I don't get all the hand-wringing over the exclusion of Jeffrey and Edmund from the final episode. It suited me just fine. Neither of them belonged in it. Neither of them belonged on the final week either. Or the final six months. Nor did either deserve anything that might be construed as a happy ending.

Neither of them ever really belonged on the show at all. Way too much time over the last ten years was wasted on the the San Cristobel vortex-of-suck: Richard, Cassie, Edmund, Alonzo, Jeffrey, Jonathan, Will, etc. Ugh. And it all sucked. That crap wasted so much precious time. And so many real characters, families, and stories were ignored and thrown overboard to make room for their meaningless, unconnected garbage. Edmund should've been forgotten about at least five years ago and Jeffrey never should've existed at all and while I resent the hell out of the fact that so much time over the last few months was wasted on them, I kind of appreciate the ironic justice in GL being too busy in the final episode dealing with Josh & Reva, Phillip & Beth, Rick & Mindy, and several other real characters to bother with Edmund & Jeffrey so they were the ones who finally got ignored. :lol:

• Members

LOL I hadn't thought of it being ironic justice.

I think Rick and Roxie actually lasted several months but were on the backburner for the most it as Roxie would meet Johnny. I've always wondered why no one ever thought to bring Roxie back in the 90s. It seems a bit odd she's left languishing in a mental clinic after a single emotional breakdown over too much stress and trauma while sister Reva has frequently become unhinged and never got treatment. :rolleyes:

Of course my favorite love interest for Rick will always be Abby she was on the way to being a new tentpole Bauer woman before writing her out. I also Rick's pairing with Beth in the very early 90s was nice although it was just to fill in the time before Phillip and Beth had their reunion in '91.