Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I feel like I finally understand the female Spaulding sibling sequence.  It seems like GL always wanted to have a female family counterpart to Alan throughout his time on canvas.  Despite the fact that Alan's familial heritage was retconned, everyone always thought that they had a right to the company that he started. 

First Amanda comes along, but she was already established as an anemic character, so although she was a drain on Spaulding resources, she was no match for Alan.  She leaves in 1983 and Alexandra arrives in 1984.  Alexandra by Beverly was an excellent foil for Alan and she could extend the Spaulding line.  But, Beverly left in 1992 and Marj sputtered along with multiple Mindy's until the mid-90's.  Then, in 1995 we get the questionable, (I still think she was fake), Malibu-Amanda; whom I was shocked to learn stayed until 1998.  I did not recall that much story for Amanda, and there seems to be some lingering stories about the choice of reboot for that character, with that actress, in that way.  Then, in 1998 we get Viki Brandon aka Vicky Spaulding; the girl with the least clever undercover name in history.  The only satisfaction that I had with her was that she was not instantly given access to Alan's wealth simply because they were related.  I know if my here-to-for unknown and disloyal niece suddenly appeared from the Bermuda, I wouldn't give her half my company.    She stays until 2001, by then Lizzie was SORASed to fill the female Spaulding role.

I find it interesting, in retrospect, to see how different writers tried to extend, as well as balance the family.  Of course there was Phillip, Alan-Michael, Nick and all of the male heirs, but I was captivated by how different writers conceptualized the family side of the family.  The 70's gives us Sensitive Spaulding, the 80's is SuperDiva Spaulding, the 90's gets Suspiciously-Diverse Spaulding(s), and the 00's got Spoiled Spaulding.  Each period had it's own Spaulding lady, and each seemed like a response to the time, rather than an organic character responding to living with Alan Spaulding.   

• Members

He was gone in 1973 and 1975, I believe. I don't remember him being gone for any extended time at all in 1974, but I could be wrong. I definitely remember him leaving in mid-1977 shortly after his affair with Rita was revealed, and him not returning to the show until a year later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Clip #5 from November 29 1984 has a Beth/galpal scene that is one of the most blatant examples of a talk-to character and expository dialogue that I have ever seen. It's a credit to Judi Evans that she makes it feel as real as she does. 

The Brandon stuff is just...so bad and so needless, isn't it? And gutless, considering they did nothing with the black Spauldings outside of a handful of material 15 years later. 

Greg Beecroft is surprisingly good in the scene where he confronts Annabelle, but I can't help noticing that nobody seems to be mentioning Hillary Bauer as a reason to get answers, and nobody seems to even care that she died because of their mystery.

• Members

Yes.  Charlotte worked at the hospital where Tracy died.  Tracy had told Charlotte about her life and her Aunt Sara's inheritance.  So, after Tracy died, Charlotte assumed her identity.  Victoria Wyndham had everyone fooled (audience included) until Flip and Marty showed up.