Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Was just reading that Tom O'Rourke's widow has written a new book about her husband titled Bedeviled. Apparently, it's a tell-all about Tom and his purported years of extramarital affairs. The book description says he confessed all of his affairs to her years after his death through dreams. Her description of the book says he had a divided soul: one in heaven, one in hell. Very strange.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

She used to post on the message board for his page on the IMDb, before those message boards were taken down. I had watched an episode of Simon & Simon in which he guest-starred and checked out his message board to see if people still remembered him. She seemed very nice in her comments about him, written after his death. She explained how they left New York and moved to L.A. after his role on GL ended. She did not know why the show recast Justin instead of asking him back. She said he loved playing that character. But she never mentioned his affairs.

Here's her blog about his career, her career and the book:

http://thomasorourkeactor.blogspot.com/

Edited by JarrodMFiresofLove

• Members

Yes, one blurb I read said these were paranormal conversations. I do believe we can re-invoke people after they're dead. But I don't think dead people make full confessions to us in our dreams. It would be an interesting soap opera plot wouldn't it! I see her book as a combination of psychotherapy and creative writing. She obviously is dealing with things that happened in their marriage or things she has been led to believe happened. Her website is actually very nice. She's done a good job documenting the phases of his career. I particularly love the photos where he's clowning around with Stephen Yates (Ben) and where they are at the beach house of Chris Bernau (Alan). I get the impression they were a close knit cast, all the ones hired under the Dobsons. The mid to late 70s was a great time for GL.

• Members

Some GL episodes dubbed in German...

#3226, #3227 and #3228 (these are the episode numbers of the German broadcast, so these episodes should actually be from the early 90s?)

#3278 (the final episode to be shown here, German airdate: July 9th, 1999)

Synopsis: It's Gilly and Hampton's wedding day. Jenna wants to make a big haul. Bridget tries to impress Hart. Alex mistrusts Roger and sends some of her people to Europe to spy on him.

According to my researches, this episode must be from April 1992.

Edited by Huntress

• Members

Distracted from all the flat angst with the Matthews ladies by how gorgeous Jerry ver Dorn looks. I will always say JvD was one of the most beautiful men ever on soaps. And I didn't realize just how much he did look like John Bolger, so that was good casting in some ways.

I laughed when they started talking about Kurt being in Venezuela. It reminds me of Maeve Kinkead commenting on her 1988 exit and how in the late '80s everyone kept getting written out by going to Venezuela. 

• Members

I had such a crush on Bolger on AW, and I saw Parting Glances in college, which gave me a whole new respect for him, but Sykes just killed it for me. Just hated that guy. Somehow it makes it harder to appreciate him here, even though he’s gorgeous and his voice was incredible.

• Members

What was it you disliked about him? I barely watched JFP OLTL so I can't say.

Bolger was very good in Parting Glances (and it was very brave to take that type of role in that era) but it's always weird seeing him as Philip. I wasn't a huge GA fan but he really did embody the character. It's not as difficult with India but seeing him grieve for Beth is odd.

Watching this episode a lot of the grieving for Beth feels kind of forced. I think it's because GL had no real heart in this period. I don't think it got that back until Pam Long returned.

• Members

Yeah, JFP really disillusioned me with OLTL. I stopped watching after a while as well. I came back for Tomlin’s version, which was fun, and the first few months of Carlivati’s, but her disdain for anything that happened before her tenure was palpable, and it really killed any love I had for the show. Not dissimilar to what she did to GL ultimately.

Yeah, Grant is just... Philip to me, and I only first saw him after his post-AMC return. There is zero buddy chemistry between Bolger and MOL.

Edited by Faulkner