Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Ed was there, played by the original Ed..I remember at the Bauer BBQ Holly mentioned that she got a letter from her brother and the actor started rubbing his arm as if remembering. Now he quickly disappeared so he wasn't there for crazy Holly, but he was there for the start...

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes!!! But for some reason I thought it was all black!!! Nice use of history there and having Henry be exposition man to tell the audience who Amanda was...I especially like his tittering over "love child" when he had one himself!

• Members

Terrible time on GL..made McTavish. E & B and even parts of Wheeler/Kriezman look like gold! Weird recasts on Ed and Phillip, weird extra characters like Simon and that english guy..terrible time on the show.

• Members

This is right before Pam Long left and Jeff Ryder (co head writer) took over completely.  And I'd rank this higher than anything Kriezman did... and at least the production values were good during this era.  The Wheeler/Kriezman era didn't even have that.

• Members

Yeah, I'd have to agree: this period of GL is much better than Brown & Esensten OR Wheeler/Kreizman.  Even the dark(er) days that are ahead were/are infinitely more watchable, because even with the sub-par writing that occurred between Pam Long's two HW'ing stints, you still had a lot of great actors in the cast, and the production values were high as well.

• Members

I'd put B&E over this period, as for the most part I found the show watchable and entertaining (albeit not as much in the last year) when they were writing, and I'd also put the best of McTavish over this period (the worst was...well, worse). My main issue with the show at this time is it's just so damn weird. I mean we're watching a story about a psycho circus performer saving Reva after she tried to kill herself. Why??

It had been weird for a lot of 1985 as well and just seemed to slowly twist itself into knots until Pam Long returned in 1987. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I do agree 1985 was a very strange year... the year started out fairly balanced with focus on the Reardons, Lewis', Spauldings, etc... but by the end of 1985 with the Infinity story.. it was a completely different show although I did like the story idea of Reva hitting rock bottom and attempting suicide... a shame in 1986 it didn't get followed up on.

I do agree that 1987 was another transition year with the show slowly coming back to life...(though I loved the upbeat music for the opening credits

Please register in order to view this content

I see differences from July 2 1987 (before Pam Long returned where it wasn't a bad show, but something was missing).. and the December 24th 1987 episode (a few months after Pam Long's return).

• Members

I liked the pop theme too. It always makes me smile. 

It's always a bit sad seeing Roxy, knowing she was so callously dumped and then forgotten about. Unfortunately that was a real pattern for GL characters from the '80s on...

(some might say even earlier than that)

I didn't like Vanessa's hair for most of the '80s. Oddly enough Maeve was wearing it like that again, sort of, in GL's last few years, and it looked much better. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Thanks @Mitch. I forgot Robert Gentry *was* there as Ed when Holly mentioned Ken (I would have figured he would have rubbed his hand versus his arm, but at least they semi-acknowledged it), but Ed was off canvas by the time Ken finally appeared, wasn't he?

Edited by zanereed

• Members

Yea, it was probably his hand...and yes, I think Gentry was gone by then...the last I remember was before Abby's trial (but I think he was around after) and the family went out to dinner and Alan walks in with Annie and says, "A table full of Bauers...enough to ruin your appetite," ...ah..old times.

Good they brought Long back to write the anniversary episodes...damn..now I remember why I always liked Rick more then Phillip back in the day, hes looking damn good there. I love Van's patriotic but still tastefull red dress, and what the hell was going on with Mo's hair??What did Long have against Bea Reardon? The previous writers wrote her in and then Long wrote her back out...(though I will admit she was annoying..)