Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I watched GL from the time of Roger's return with Alexandra Spaulding but, after reviewing the posts on this thread tonight, I went back and read about Rita Stapleton (Bauer). 

In re-reading the history I was struck by two issues: (1) It's interesting that the feud shifted from Roger/Ed to Roger/Alan; I know Roger and Alan had earlier issues but it seems to me that Ed was never driven by his hatred upon Roger's return; as much as he was in the 70's.  Ed lost a lot to Roger over the years but once Roger was nice to Maureen everything seems to have been forgotten between the two. (2) The Bauers moved next door to the Spauldings when Ed married Rita but the Bauer house went from a Spanish design with a red tile roof (as seen when Kelly lives and swims there) to a Colonial design when Ed and Rick start doing the Bauer barbecue?  Did the Marler's also live nearby?  Did anyone ever takeover the Wexler estate?

As an audience we lost a sense of who lived where and which parts of town were the nicest in Springfield over the years.  I assumed by the size of the kitchen and the decor of the living room in the 1990's that Ed lived in Bert's old house, not next door to a mansion.

Edited by j swift

• Members

My GL knowledge doesn't go back as far as some others here, but this is what I believe, if anyone can update or provide additional information that would be great.

I don't know when they started calling the part of town where the Spaulding Mansion was the Hill. Basically everyone outside the Coopers on 5th Street, and the Reardons/Boarding House on 7th (I think it was 7th) across the street from Cedars. I'm basing this on later 80s designations solely as I have seen more of that material than earlier. So if anyone can correct me that would be great, or at least show how things morphed. It was a big deal for Reva, when she and Josh moved as a married couple to the Hill --Revabend was somewhat out of town compared to the other houses. Ross's home was on the former Wexler property, though obviously not the main building - as Amanda gifted the Carriage House to Ross and Carrie as a wedding present. I don't know whose mansion Henry and Vanessa lived in over the years, (as by the 90s they never called it the name of Quint and Nola's place...so I didn't think it was the same house just based on location.)

• Members

As I recall, the Bauer's kitchen set in the 1990s and 2000s was similar in design to what it was earlier albeit smaller in scale. I don't recall the living room changing much over the years. It still had the same white pillars in episodes from 2002 that were there back in 1993. Meanwhile, the Spaulding house seemed to grow substantially in size over the years.

I believe it was Pam Long who coined the Hill circa 1983. I believe the Spauldings lived next to the Bauers. Quint and Nola moved into a big mansion on the Hill in 1983. And I believe HB had a mansion there, too. After Reva and HB eloped, they lived there. So Reva lived on the Hill before she married Josh.

I think the Chamberlain mansion disappeared after Quint and Nola left. Henry later had a hotel room or a small apartment.

Yes, the Reardon family lived on Seventh Street.

The production model switch in 2008 really changed things. The small city that was Springfield was suddenly akin to a Peyton Place type-sized town. I still remember the scene where Cassie hooks up with Cyrus at Towers. They cut to them going to her car, which is parked on a country road. They then have sex in a barn, I believe. It made no sense at all. Towers was in a downtown area, not a countryside location. Towers had long been established as having a parking garage so why would Cassie park on a country road?

• Members

Forgive me for bringing up things that have surely been discussed multiple times at depth over the years, but man, how shocked were yall who were watching live when Maureen confronted Ed over his affair with Lillian and then drove off to her death? I watched the ep today and knew exactly where the story was headed and STILL found myself scrambling for the next one as the credits rolled. The thing that sticks out to me the most about their scenes throughout the episode was the lack of background music at a time when GL and ATWT were heavy on the electronic scores that made every scene sound like a Saturday afternoon B action movie. They very wisely cut that out for Maureen and Ed, and it became all about Maureen's hurt. Even Ed's lines were minimal, but Peter Simon delivered with facial expression alone. Amazing.

• Members

THE GUIDING LIGHT:

--Rev. Ruthledge opened his church in Five Points, in 1918

--Meta Bauer was born in 1919

--Rev. Ruthledge died overseas in 1946

--Bill and Bertha Miller Bauer married on December 9, 1949

--Meta Bauer White's son Chuckie died tragically on September 20, 1950

--Meta killed her husband Ted on September 22, 1950

--Mike Bauer was born in March, 1952

--Ed Bauer was born on December 31, 1954

--Papa Bauer turned 65 on March 14, 1957

--Hope Bauer was born in September, 1963

--Frederick "Rick" Bauer was born in August, 1970

--Papa Bauer died in February, 1973

• Members

Another gem from the Rick Thomas channel:

I know most of the characters but can anyone give a complete breakdown just in case there's one or two who may not be as known?

(I don't think I saw Joe Werner in there - maybe he wasn't seen as a 'big' enough character)

Edited by DRW50

• Members

--Bert Bauer

--Ed and Mike Bauer

--Holly Norris

--Ed Bauer

--Peggy Fletcher

--Leslie and Steve Jackson

--Mike Bauer

--Dr. Wilson Frost and Saran McIntyre

--Janet Norris

--Ken Norris

--Adam Thorpe and Barbara Norris

--Ed Bauer

--Leslie and Mike Bauer

--Sarah McIntyre

And no, Joe Werner was not in the promo.

• Members

Thanks! Were Kit and Charlotte still on the show at this time? 

Do you remember this promo?

I don't know much about that Wilson Frost character.

I wonder who the woman in the hospital bed was. 

Edited by DRW50