Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It wasn't hate for Nick, but personally, in terms of the roles that Irizarry has had in daytime over the decades, this one would not be among his finest, IMO.  It seemed as if Irizarry was straining to make it work, at times. In one scene, I thought he'd pop an artery in his neck, he was straining so hard. 

• Members

To me the character was a self-righteous ass who endlessly dressed down the women in his life and had zero chemistry or connection with most of them. He did a lot of damage to two characters I was a big fan of (Alex and Mindy) and he epitomized the sourness and unearned entitlement that JFP's run on GL had so much of. At the time I had no idea who a JFP was, I didn't look at producer credits. All I knew was that as so many of my favorites left, characters like Nick and Buzz were not worth my time. 

Only in his last year or so did he click for me. Which of course meant he was fired...

• Members

I had wondered why they simply didn't bring him as a back from the dead Lujack as opposed to creating Nick but who knows really. I did like the original Nick and Mindy story and loved their wedding disaster as one of the highlights during the Blackout story. However I can see why McKinsey grew disillusioned with it as Alex plotting revenge on Mindy eventually just reduced her down to a scheming, controlling mother. Although I like Irizarry as an actor, the character of Nick just never grew on me and all the stories i.e. Eve and her Mindy wig, George, Ann Hamilton's Mindy, Nick and Mindy's 1994 wedding fiasco--it all was just bland, uninteresting in my opinion and often felt so perfunctory at times. I loved the Nick and Susan story though but sadly to my surprised they were shipped right off right after the Brent/Marian story ended. GL never took the advantage of using them again. 

• Members

Lujack died on screen.. and it didn't make sense to bring him back alive again.  At the time, GL was more about realism then fantasy.

With that said, I did like Nick and KS' Mindy together... even grew to tolerate Eve/Nick together... but when the two recast Mindy's came on... the show should have wisely had Mindy/Nick go their separate ways instead of trying to keep them together just because of contrived conflict between Mindy/Alex (both recasts without the history).  I did like Susan.. and thought she and Nick were good together.. but by the mid 90s.. the show was changing and they didn't seem to fit anymore.

• Members

^

I feel like after KS left as Mindy, unless KT wanted to reprise the role that they should've left Mindy off the canvas. The 2 recasts following KS were flops. Like Barbara Crampton on Y&R and B&B, but she was a flop too. 

I do wish that they would've brought Nick back before GL ended. It would've interested to see how he and Beth would've interacted seeing as Nick was Lujack's twin. With a Mindy return, it would've been awesome to see Mindy and Phillip be agitated by Beth having a growing attraction towards Nick b/c he heavily resembled Lujack. 

• Members

VI had a meeting with Wheeler after AMC fired him but LML over at Y&R hired him first for another flop role. I do think it would have been very interesting to see what they would have done with Nick ten years after he left. He probably would have come back as they all do, darker with a chip on his shoulder, but they really could have used someone of his age in the Spaulding family with Phillip being in limbo at the time and Alan-Michael about to be foolishly dropped.
As for Mindy, I had wanted Cynthia Preston to be given a chance to revive that character. She showed up for the Cassie recast auditions but I think she would have been the right fit for Mindy, especially given that Bill had just left in late 2005 and they made the right call to put Billy back on the frontburner after years of nothing. Him having his Melinda Sue return at that time would have been a good move. Cynthia Preston kind of reminded me of Kimberley Simms.

• 2 weeks later...