Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is a case book of actors making something stupid work...and Bev is totally dedicated to it. I like the Victoria actress, and its weird to see Claire being nice.  If only they had brought Toby Poser in as Vickie who had a rightful claim to Spaulding, and not that dumb Amanda is Brandon's kid storyline..Tony is smoking hot..(dumb, dumb Annabelle..you don't want him..Ill take him...). Speaking of...forgot how smokin' hot Zimmer was back then...I LOVED her and H.B. and on paper you would think that was nasty...but it worked. Loved Gates and its too bad Charita got sick and died and they didn't do the planned H.B. and Bert...would have been a hoot. But then, they should have bough fiesty Meta in for Bert's funeral and she and "Harlan" would have been great. Hated the Beth blind storyline(to be completely ripped off later with Chele and whatshisface) and hate Van being a wimpy sweet wife. This was the during the total change the show went under from Summer to Winter that year.

Edited by Mitch

• Members

After years of never finding the time I have finally dug into the November 1979 episodes and this show was top notch. I did find some of the Marland episodes a drag but of the Dobson years available I have never seen a boring episode. It's a shame that they didn't keep the Dobsons at GL and post Marland at ATWT immediately. 

I am loving the drama of the the main story- Rita and Ed divorcing and Rita wanting an abortion. The build up of Roger being alive while Holly is in prison (already read spoilers to know where that's going) and Lucille plotting to poison Ben only to nearly kill Amanda. The episodes fly by and it is all based on the psychological motivations of the characters. I miss that and haven't seen it on a soap in my 12 years of viewing. 

The only drags to me are Dr. Greg Fairbanks and Peter Chapman. Both so dull. I also applaud them for keeping Sara and Bert among others an integral part of the fabric of the show. 

It's amazing how having the characters interact with multiple viewpoints and psychologically motivated storylines keep the show familiar and only a few years later they would lose half the cast. I have no interest in anything of GL from 1984-1991 maybe outside of the Sonni/Solita plot and Holly and Roger's return.

• Members

Maybe it's a Southern thing. My pastor was born and raised in the Houston, TX, area. His first and middle names are Jimmy Kay. Not James - his legal first name is Jimmy. Despite living and working here in northeast Ohio for over 20 years, he still has his Texas accent. So, I guess I can understand "Harlan Billy".