Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's from the Friday August 4, 1995 episode. I first found this on an VHS tape which is buried in a storage unit of the family like fifteen years ago. I haven't seen this since re-watching those old tapes a few years ago, glad to see the actual episode has finally surfaced on Youtube! I just love the banter between Dusay and Walker especially with Tangie's meltdown--a high point for a largely unsuccessful character who was winding down at the time, as Walker left the show at the end of the month. There was actual speculation online at the time that Tangie would be offed by Brent/Marian but many were disappointed when Tangie exited just a few weeks shy of Brent/Marian's first victim.  

• Members

I was just thinking about what an embarrassment of riches GL had with its female cast in the very early '90s. So many types of the female experience represented: Maureen Garrett, Maeve Kinkead, Beverlee McKinsey, Amelia Marshall, Nia Long, Jean Carol, Ellen Parker, Sherry Stringfield, Beth Ehlers, Tina Sloan, Melissa Hayden, Kimberley Simms, Fiona Hutchison, Melina Kanakaredes, Rachel Miner, Hilary Edson. That's not to discount the equally wonderful men on the show at that time, but this is a female genre, and there was such richness, fortitude, grit, and complexity to all of these portrayals. Each woman had many, many opportunities to shine. How blessed were we to witness that in our lifetimes when soaps were already beginning to lose their luster? Maybe only the Labines' GH rivaled that in the past 25 years or so.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I stumbled upon this bizarre but charming story from earlier this month about Nancy Curlee Demorest befriending a former UNC basketball star she idolized in her youth. 

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article189171094.html

Edited by Faulkner