Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Zaslow should have been nominated as early as 1979/1980, as his work on TGL in 1979 was stellar (and some good scenes are available on YT from that year). I don't know why either he wasn't submitted or didn't make the final cut. Even though Roger was beyond redemption after raping Holly, Zaslow still didn't play Roger as a one-note villain.

Good question. What year was this interview - 1981?

• Members

But GL actors didn't start even getting nominated until Zaslow's first nomination, which looks like '92. Sad that so many actors around that time were overlook and never nominated. Weird that Mart Hulswit, Chris Bernau, or Don Stewart were never nominated. Just odd. 

But to Roger being beyond redemption, I agree, but MZ was so good at what he did that I felt for Roger at all times. I've always said that Roger, John (of ATWT), and Jack (of DOOL) were the only characters that were rapists but felt remorse for their actions at all times and strived to do better while misstepping at times, hence why I could feel something for them. I never felt that Todd (OLTL) or Luke (GH) felt bad for their actions, which is why I never liked any of the characters. 

• Members

It wasn't just GL that was ignored in the early years of the Daytime Emmys, it was a good chunk of the CBS lineup. I've seen lists of Daytime Emmy nominees and winners over the years, and GL didn't get any acting nominations until 1984. Even Y&R didn't get acting nominations until 1984 and As the World Turns got their first acting nominations in 1981. CBS's only acting Daytime Emmy wins from 1974-1981 were from Search for Tomorrow.

• Members

20 years ago this week (starting at 4:36). Original airdate was Friday October 3, 1997 according to an old online recap site.

This was the scene shown from Cynthia Watros's Emmy reel during the 1998 Daytime Emmy broadcast. I'm thinking the other episode submitted was the witness stand breakdown from June 1997. Watch those two scenes and you'll see why the 1998 Lead Actress race ended up being the biggest upset ever.