Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

If you watch the scenes at GL from the period many of them are shared instead of "actor showcase". This hurts an actor's chance of winning, and the year Zaslow did he had the most focused on his character. 

At the end, the Emmy wins had little to do with quality, but more about other factors sadly.

• Members

I recall in 1994, a vast majority of GL people got nominated...but as the quality of the show dwindled...so did the nominations.  I truly think the clone story killed a lot of respect for the show.  From what I recall, when KZ submitted the clone episodes for a nomination...the panel laughed.  

I think the Reba focus in the late 90s and thereafter helped kill the show.  And i hated the final scene of the show was Josh and Reva.  An insult to.the show.

• Members

That was seen as an example of block voting which JFP excelled at, I think. I can't say the show was all that good for me in 1993 so I don't know how much was about quality. 

I imagine the clone story did make the show look bad, but by that time the Emmys were already becoming irrelevant and a joke anyway. 

I guess at least they did get a few awards here and there in the last years, like Jordan Clarke. 

• Members

GL got a few acting Emmys from 1991-1993: Rick Hearst, Maeve Kinkead, Ellen Parker, Monti Sharp. I agree, there were some glaring omissions though as far as nominees and winners go. 

It is criminal that Beverlee McKinsey was never nominated for her work on GL. The 1991-1993 lead actress races were rather weak IMO and she could've easily won at least one Emmy in that period. Even the lead actor races from 1991-1993 were rather weak IMO. Another GL Emmy robbery was Maureen Garrett but the years she was nominated in supporting actress (1991, 1992, 1994) the competition was tough and for whatever reason she wasn't nominated in 1993.

• Members

FD basically played himself... a nice guy, family man, maybe not too "deep" but solid. Agree he was fine as supporting but when they had him try to act ..as in cry, etc, it was embarrassing. When they made him a private eye and then a cop it was ridiculous...Frank didn't have two brain cells to rub together. He was like Rick..a mensch..sweet guys who took care of everyone else...(woulda been funny if they made those two a gay couple..living in the Bauer house, helping all the morons who made stupid decisions..but Frankie D would be too uptight to play that and Oleary woulda made it all a bad joke..)  The thing is, soaps need characters like Frank and Rick who arent having constant drama but who could still have air time.

Derwin had one thing that vaulted him into leading man territory is that he was sexy as hell. I never thought guys like Frank with highlights and feathered hair were hot no matter how tight the t-shirt. Mallet looked like he just rolled out of bed...sexy.  I know different people were playing them but Mallet and Mindy should have come back to town and had a Harley/Mallet/Mindy/Rick thing...(maybe Mallet saved Mindy from some bad characters she made a biz deal with and they got together.

• Members

You right about Frank and Rick as a couple, but I'd still want to see it just to watch Grant Alexander played the scorn third wheel. Even if they didn't write it as a triangle, you know Alexander would it play that way. Phillip wouldn't have been pleased for Frank to take his place in Rick's life. And I think O'Leary might have taken that seriously. 

Edited by dc11786

• Members

Would have loved it if our show had been innovative enough to do a nice middle aged coming out story and combine with GL tradition by making them a tentpole couple who everyone comes to with their problems. I don't think I could handle a romantic scene between those two though..but really, we never saw a romantic scene between Nancy and Chris Hughes, we just knew they loved each other..good enough for me! GA would have played it well, as Phillip being jealous, not sexually but as usual with Phillip not being the center of attention, especially Rick's attention! A funny scene of Harley coming over to talk to Rick and then Frank comes out shirtless..."Uh, what the hell is going on!!"