• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Glad you enjoyed it, buddy. Even though Frank Dicopolous wasn't the best actor, he did play the perfect supporting character. He did stay in his lane, and I do find him to be one of the two (Coop being the other) Coopers I wasn't annoyed with. Harley, Lucy, Buzz, and even Nadine at times annoyed the f-ck out of me. 

Rewatching all these episodes from '91 too makes me livid that they didn't go with Mallet/Mindy instead. As I keep saying, KS' Mindy and MD's Mallet had IT. Yes, pairing Mindy with Nick was great b/c of Mindy v. Alex, but God I would've loved for Mindy and Mallet to have been together instead of him being tossed Harley. 

• Members

I could accept Nadine when she wasn't being too outlandish, considering that she was SUPPOSED to be somewhat annoying. But I loathed Buzz and Lucy, and grew to detest Harley. I did not mind Frank as a supporting, nice-guy player, but never saw him as a lead either.

At least the show was well-written in 1991.

• Members

From rewatching the beginning of JFP's run, we can see Mark Derwin being added to the Friend of Jill list; I believe she brought him to One Life to Live when she was there in the late 1990s. I didn't think that much of Mark Derwin's acting when he was on Y&R, but on GL he ended up becoming a lead actor Emmy nominee as well as winning a Soap Opera Digest award for hottest male star (and he beat Antonio Sabato Jr. for that particular award IIRC).

JFP must have known something we didn't when she set up Nick/Mindy and Mallet/Harley as VI/KS and MD/BE were together eventually in real life.

The ratings went up during the 1991/92 season, but as we all know the movement upward didn't last.

• Members

I don't know how he got nominated for a lead actor because despite my love for MD, he was not lead actor material. When I think of lead actors on GL during that time, I think of Zaslow, VerDorn, Simon, and Clarke. Derwin was in the same category as Dicopolous if you ask me--supporting. 

While Harley/Mallet were OK, rewatching these scenes seriously makes me see how production got it wrong. Derwin's Mallet oozed true sex appeal with Simms' Mindy. 

All this GL early 90s watching is joyous and depressing. Joyous b/c I get to rewatch it all over again. Depressing b/c I miss Springfield, and it makes you question what went wrong with this entire genre. 

• Members

Michael Zaslow should've had more lead actor Emmys than the one he got. He was nominated four consecutive years (1992-1995) and won once (1994). His 1992 nomination and 1994 win were GL's firsts in the lead actor category.

Some comments on YT clips of the 1994 Daytime Emmys said GL submitted not very good reels for Michael Zaslow in 1992 and 1993 but they got the 1994 submission right.

The Acapulco episodes should've gotten him a nomination and maybe win in 1991, and the post-country club confrontation with Alexandra should've gotten him a win in 1992.