Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Is this Scott Hoxby in the Listerine ad? I sort of think yes, and then no.

It's always weird to see him pop up in various British commercials in the early '90s (often mute so viewers won't know he isn't British). I keep meaning to put some of them on my channel.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think at that time viewers, like myself, were just happy to see an "old" face after JFP decimated the show, with killing Mo, moving the focus on the Coopers, and with Buzz eating the show alive. Unfortunately McLabby screwed us all over by paring with Reva with Buzz...( I think Logan called it "Two dogs trying to chew the same bone.") and having Reva actually beg that little troll for sex!..I would take the clone anyday over that.

Reva could have made a great addition to GL if she had stayed part of the ensemble...(I actually think McTavish did better with that then any other writer) and if they could have just put Jeva to rest once and for all....) I would have had them kind of like Bob and Lisa, always in each others lives, maybe occassionally hitting the sack in between others.  I actually think Reva and Matt would have been kind of hot...(and send both the Jeva nuts and the Mattessa nuts in a head spin..)

• Members

Was it McLabby who created Pharley? I freely admit that while I once loved Harley and always enjoyed Phillip I didn't take to them at the time. Now, rewatching old episodes I hate them with the first of a thousand suns. What a smug, judgmental self-enchanted pair. I could have moved on from Beth & Phillip but writing her as a total neurotic mess while Phillip was sane and strong and poor widdle Harley has to suffer. I can't. Reva and Josh should have either stayed together or been split up for good circa 1999. Instead every few years Josh had to marry some woman, let Reva make her insane with jealousy while claiming their was nothing to be jealous about and then dump her (righteously, natch) for Reva. Lather, rinse, repeat. It made both characters loathsome to me.

• Members

Sorry but Reva and Matt would've been dreadful to watch. I would've preferred they bring back Kyle if we needed someone with Reva outside of Josh. 

I don't think Jeva (the pairing) was an issue. It was constantly trying to figure out ways to break them up and put them back together. After the arc with Annie or Olivia, the two should've remained together to the bitter end the the story should've shifted from them onto Marah and Shayne. Josh/Reva should've just been a staple couple--the pillars or sages of Springfield. 

Again, I always feel Reva's primary issue was that she didn't have a job or career. B/c she didn't, her stories always consisted of her out of this world love life, which grew stale. It was cute in the 80s. It wasn't cute anymore about '00. 

I do think that Reva not being part of the ensemble and it always being Reva and them was a primary issue. Reva was well-integrated during her original run. She became isolated during her return. 

• Members

I don't know, Matt and Reva had a real quick scene in the Bauer Kitchen during a BBQ..she was drying off her tank top after a water balloon contest...(lol) and Matt walks in with a innuendo and it was kind of natural and sexy for a brief moment.  I never understood why they didn't bring Kyle back to go after Reva and also take over for Alan who had run his course right after the Annie thing. 

I think the problem was really with the actors who, if they werent in a front burning storyline for two minutes would BOTH bitch to the soap press. Its too bad too as RN had great dad chemistry with the younger actors,,(my fave imaginary storyline would be that Shayne was a flaming no apologies man chaser and like ATWT, it was Josh that accepted it but not Reva until she became the most obnoxious PFLAG mom on earth.)

Not that much for a soap character... she was went from being a nurse aid to a photographer during her first run..then she worked in the Diner when she was with Buzzard, she was on the Lewis board and then she was a talk show host..so not that much really.

• Members

Hey everyone - I found Michael O'Leary's "Bauer Burger" Recipe.  You don't even need to be exact with the measurements....The double patty and packing the cheese and other ingredients in between the 2 patties really is unique and always gets rave reviews.  I like Cheddar so I've used that, and other ingredients I've tried are Jalapeno or Green Chili also between the patties with the Onion...I grill my onion too before I put it between the patties.    I miss the BBQ every year and Guiding Light especially around July 4th and the Holidays...

~Michael O'Leary's Recipe for Bauer Burgers~

1. Get 2 lbs of ground sirloin, then mix in some garlic, pepper, salt and 3 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce.

2. Make an even number of thin hamburger patties. (Be sure to make them very thin.)

3. Chop up some onion and put it on top of the first patty. Then put a slice of American or mozzarella cheese on top. Grill some mushrooms and put them on top of the cheese. Cover the whole thing with another patty.

4. Using a fork press down the edges of the patties so they are sealed

5. Barbecue the double patties over a low flame until done. It takes more time to cook due to the thickness of the patties.

Edited by Fevuh
addition of stuff

• Members

Meh at Reva/Matt. I just don't picture those 2 hot together. I always felt Matt was at his hottest alongside Beth and Dinah. I think he would've been hot with Blake too. 

I just think that Kyle coming back should've been in the cards anyways. Especially, once Ben popped up on the scene. It could've possibly nixed the stupid stories he got once the character returned. 

Well lucky for them they had writers to appease them b/c had I been in charge, they would've accepted their roles as given. They would've been still front burner, but their kids would've driven story instead of them. No one needed to see 50+ year old Josh and Reva still entangled and triangles and such. That's something for characters in their 20s to early 40s. About 45, I feel like characters need to be stable and sages amongst the youngsters. They can have their trials and tribulations still, but not every damn year like Jeva did. 

• Members

This EXACTLY. What RN and KZ seemed to not understand is that soaps are a generational medium, whether you are watching them or acting in them. If a character is a long-term, legacy character, their role will inevitably change. Charita Bauer was not always front and center as Bert Bauer. She was initially, of course, but as her sons got older, her role changed. She certainly wasn't missing from the show, but she was more in a supporting role for her sons or other Springfield characters as the sounding board or person to dish out advice. That's the whole generational aspect of soaps. Josh and Reva - with all of their history - would have been great pillars. Reva was certainly no saint, but she could have doled out advice on what NOT to do in one's life. Then Shayne and Marah would have turned around and did the exact opposite of what mom said

Please register in order to view this content

. But, that would have been okay. That's what kids do.

Edited by zanereed

• Members

I thought Beth and Matt were hot but the Mattessa FREAKS had a fit (of course, E & B never knew how to write a traingle unless there was a bad person so Beth had to be a bitch to Van, I never liked Van and Matt together and thought she would have quickly gotten bored by his tight, uh body and wanted to move on with someone who challenged her more.  It would be much better if Van cooled her feelings for Matt, he was drawn to Beth, and she him..but they fought there feelings as Van also felt quilty that her feelings for Matt have changed...and everyone in SF thought of them as the golden couple..etc. 

Kyle coulda/shoulda taken over as the Big Bad once Alan was retired....Alan dies (or actually goes to prison again..) and Phillip takes over.  Kyle aborbs Lewis..and targets Spaulding..so Kyle, the Spauldings and Josh/Reva are all dukeing it out.. Instead of the fairy prince crap I would have had Kyle unhappily married to social climbing Olivia...who sets her sights on Phillip, while Kyle falls in love with Cassie, and Reva battles her jealousy AND we find out Marah is really Kyle's kid AND Reva knew several years ago the truth but decided to bury it.

I remember Zimmer, who got her back up when they brought Cassie on..saying they were turning her into Bert Bauer as she had a line like "Now Cassie...really tsk, tsk." 

While Zimmer and Newman had their huge egos...and TPTB fed into them...they also had a point. Soaps "used" to be about the generations and Grandpa Hughes, Nancy Hughes, Bert, etc were not front burner but vital parts of the show, and all the changed. As soon as characters were back burnerd they were in danger of being cut, especially people seen as old and boring. Look at Maureen. So I don' t blame them as much as that is how the "industry" worked.

• Members

That could've been interesting along with Kyle trying to win over Ben in the process. It would've been interesting to see Fletcher be involved with Kyle's return had they not written him off. 

I mean I get the actors fear of being made into pillars, but with the proper writers, they could've still been viable. Also, being pillars isn't all that Josh/Reva could've added to the canvas. Lewis Oil & Lewis Construction should've once again became pivotal on the show again. There are plenty of work stories that Reva and Josh could've been in. 

• Members

Does "Psychic" count as a job?

Having Marah grow up to be a spoiled vixen who out-Reva'd Meva would have entertained me. They did that for short while and then it was Tonymania and did I hallucinate it or did Marah sex up Jeffrey?  

Vanessa and Matt never did a ton for me. Didn't hate them just didn't care.

I'm craving some backstage GL gossip. Who was the biggest raging egomaniac? Is it true Grant Aleksander hated all his leading ladies? Dish!