Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Love Bev, but I find myself getting pissed at Alex in this arc even though she is in the right to react the way she is. It is just that dastardly a** Roger Thorpe and MZ's excellent portrayal of him, which makes me root for him when I shouldn't be. 

Is that bad? 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

This episode was probably the zenith of the Calhoun/Curlee era. It is criminal that Beverlee McKinsey did not get a lead actress nomination at the Daytime Emmy's for any of her early 1990s work on GL. Is there a story behind her being snubbed?

There's a little sadness in seeing this storyline again, knowing that Michael Zaslow and Beverlee McKinsey are no longer with us.

• Members

I've never heard anything about the reason why Bev was snubbed, but it is weird. I always trumped it up as a network thing--that the academy always preferred rewarding ABC soap actresses over CBS and NBC. 

I think it is criminal that Bev never won an EMMY given the material she's had and how she's performed it.

• Members

Bev also accomplished an incredible feat if you think about it - Iris was such a definitive and iconic soap role, to then have similar success and create another strong character is not an easy task. I wonder how AW fans felt seeing her in a different role at this point. I know she given the choice to return to AW as Iris in the late 80's, but refused and wanted to continue as Alexandra. 

GL had such an amazing cast of women during this time - Bev, Maureen Garrett, Maeve Kinkead, Ellen Parker, etc. All so different, but amazing in their own right.