Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Agreed. There was certainly no love lost between Roger and Diane, and that would have made for great viewing. Diane versus Vanessa, Diane versus Alexandria for control of Spaulding, etc. Great possibilities.

Edited by zanereed

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Again, why can't we have teens and girl friendships/sisterhood like Kat and Bridget? 

Please register in order to view this content

Nowadays, most female soap characters aren't remotely close. Not even if they are related. I loved Bridget and Kat on the fire escape sharing their fears, concerns, plotting, and joking with one another. 

The scenes with Billy/Vanessa were cute. However, poor Billy just could not handle a strong woman like Vanessa at times. I think later in life he grew to, but at this time, he couldn't. 

I am not caring about this Mallet/Francesca story. IMO, I always felt that Mark Derwin's Mallet had stellar chemistry with Kimberly Simms' Mindy. Boggles my mind how Nancy Curlee didn't put these two together. Especially since I didn't care for Mallet/Harley either, who are about to start soon. 

Love Roger but he can be a dolt at times. Him showing up at Mindy's office was just careless. I don't get either how he couldn't pick up on the tension with Alex too. When Alex starts turning on the charm and being syrupy sweet, Roger should've known Alex was onto him. 

• Members

Watching these July 1991 episodes is a little bittersweet. We're so close to Alexandra exposing Roger, but we're also close to Robert Calhoun being replaced by Jill Farren Phelps. I originally thought the EP/writer switches were both at the same time but they were done gradually (Robert Calhoun/Pamela Long June 1989-December 1990, Robert Calhoun/Nancy Curlee January-summer or fall 1991, Jill Farren Phelps/Nancy Curlee summer or fall 1991-1993).

I agree, and it was a missed opportunity. How did another soap not snatch up Kimberley Simms anyway? I posted before in the thread that I read she was in contention for two big recasts in the mid 1990s but considering who those roles were cast with was like WTF?

Edited by kalbir

• Members

The two roles I read Kimberley Simms was in contention for were Jennifer on Days and Ashley on Y&R.  As we all know, one role was cast with a hair model clone of the original actress and the other recast was nepotism.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Which of the two actresses did you guys prefer as Mindy...Krista T or Kimberly Simms (not even going to include Ann Hamilton nor Barbara Frampton as choices).

To me..it seemed like Mindy and Mallet were being tested as a couple...but then the gears shifted.  Was this once Pam Long left the show?

• Members

Mallet and Mindy would've been hot along with Roger being involved. It would've been so fun for Mallet to have been investigating Roger and trying to find his mistress only to discover it was Mindy, who he was falling in love with. That would've been explosive. Mallet being paired with Harley was just boring. I found Harley to be boring and whiney when she was with Mallet. I don't think she truly got her spunk back until she came back in the mid 90s. 

But GL is stupid for letting Kim Simms slip out their reach. I would've given her the world if I was EP to ensure she signed on again. 

I can't see her as Ashley, but I could've totally seen her being the perfect Jennifer recast. Her Jennifer alongside Mark Valley's Jack would've been HOT!

Kim Simms is MY Mindy. I started watching as a young boy when she was Mindy. I knew Krista as Tina, as I didn't know about Andrea Evans, who'd previously played the role. Krista is OK as Mindy, but Kim Simms was IT for me. 

Krista's Mindy seems to be more comedic and girl next door-ish. Meanwhile, Kim's Mindy exuded sex appeal and was vampish. Kim is one of the few times in soaps I prefer the recast to the original. 

• Members

But I liked Liz Keifer's Blake. 

Please register in order to view this content

She was no Sherry but she was decent. I just think that they kept giving Blake the same stories time and time again. By the time she slept with Ben, it grew tiring of watching Blake have affairs, Ross getting mad, and them eventually reconciling.