Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Yes, Rauch gets a lot of (undeserved, IMO) credit for the success of AW, but I think he was just in the right place at the right time, and lucky to be hired to produce an already-stable show that had writers who knew what they were doing. Once Rauch began tampering with and destroying the show's established core (which had existed long before his arrival), and after Lemay left, AW just fell apart. Rauch did not know what he was doing. His dismal work on OLTL, TGL, TEXAS, etc., confirmed his cluelessness.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well I was watching to the mess he produced during his time at GL. While the show was still watchable, I grew tired of the perils of Reva and I love Reva. He was the driving force in making the show the Reva Hour.

And I will NEVER forgive what he and MAB did to Y&R. That sh-t was horrible, and I still have nightmares over that period of the show.

• Members

Exactly. I was quite surprised by the comment from Marland regarding Hulswit. That seemed very uncommon for Marland. However, it does help to somewhat validate what I have heard about Hulswit criticizing the writing. I would LOVE for someone to interview Hulswit (I believe We Love Soaps has tried before, but no luck...).

Speaking of Lemay and TGL, I was very surprised that Lemay returned to help write TGL during 1980/1981. That was the year they won the Emmy for Best Writing. Has Lemay ever stated in any interview why he returned to soap writing? It wasn't that long after he left AW, so I was just curious if anyone knows any further information there.

• Members

Probably better then his brief stint at The Doctors in late 1981/early 1982.

He would have had a field day writing for Rita, Holly, Elizabeth, and Amanda...and hope/Alan would have been an interesting marriage...romeo/Juliet jut with an adult twist since the Spauldinga and Bauers were neighbors and didnt get along. Those were characters Marland had trouble writing..imho.

• Members

Oh how I miss Rick Hearst. I will say this till I day I croak, but Guiding Light was stupid for now wooing him back after his stint on B&B before he went to GH. They should've offered him the world. 

Even though I know many hated the character of Nick McHenry, CBS/GL was crazy in not trying to snag Vincent Irizarry after AMC dumped him 2006. He should've never been sent to Y&R as David Chow. 

God I miss Robert Newman too! Why has no soap snagged this man yet?!