Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

The Dobsons were perfect for TGL. For their ATWT, not so much. In fact, I still think their era was my favorite era of GL.

I agree with Mitch - Long and Marland would have likely been a great combo for exactly the reasons stated above. If Pam and Gail Kobe hadn't completely wiped out GL's history/legacy in almost a year, I think I would have a much better impression of that era. For every Four Musketeers, there's "Brandon-Spaulding-back-from-the-dead/Susan Piper" debacle (IMHO).

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was a Marland fan and tend to think he would have written them in a memorable way. Had Marland stayed, I don't think we would have seen the declawing of Vanessa. I loved the chemistry Jordan Clarke and Maeve Kinkead had as Billy and Vanessa, but don't like the fact that she was changed so radically during Long's stint.

I'm curious what Long's original plans were in terms of HB. When he first appeared, it seemed like Long was planting the seeds for a Bert/HB romance. But then HB was shifted in Reva's direction. Had Charita Bauer not gotten ill in 1983, I'm wonder if there would have been an HB/Reva pairing. When Billy's ex-wives were first mentioned in the summer of 1983, the most recent ex-wife was referred to as "Joanna." Of course, by the time autumn came around, the character had been renamed Reva.

• Members

Yes. HB was meant for Bert but Charita became sick. I remember H.B and Billy's first day was coming into the hospital in their over the top yelling way and getting [!@#$%^&*] from Bert who promptly owned them. Then they had HB looking for Bert for family advice but Charita was sick so Maureen was filling in for her at the hospital so you could tell the scenes were written with Bert in mind.  Too bad, a Bert H.B. pairing would have rocked....."Woman..I need my bourbon and branch" .....Bert "Well then you will get yourself..I was married to one drunk I will not repeat it!" HB..."You got some fire in you lady, come on over HERE!"

• Members

@DRW50, @Mitch, @Khan, @zanereed--someone hold me. This episode made me tear up as I miss the citizens of Springfield. 

The exchange between Vanessa and Billy broke my heart, but dear God, it made me remember how much Nadine used to irk my damn nerves. 

Even though it was so wrong, Roger & Holly being together was so right for me. I still hate to this day that MZ or Roger didn't get the proper sendoff with Maureen Garrett/Holly being by his side. 

Jesus. Alex was so insecure in this episode. Ross too. I think deep down they knew that they were meant to be. 

One thing about the essence of Blake that the show failed to capture towards the end was she was best when she was a cat cornered regardless the actress. 

• Members

As much as I look up to Douglas Marland as a writer, I think he would have had difficulties collaborating with anyone as his co-head writer.  After all, he collaborated with Agnes Nixon on LOVING, and look at how THAT turned out.  Not only did he quit the show after the first couple years, his name was removed from the credits as co-creator!

IMO, the perfect (soap) writer would possess:

- Bill Bell and Claire Labine's interests in all matters psychological;

- Bridget and Jerome Dobson's offbeat sense of humor;

- Sam Hall, Peggy O'Shea, Gordon Russell and Pat Falken Smith's "provocativeness";

- Harding Lemay's skill in scene construction;

- Pam Long's devotion to homespun "family values";

- Doug Marland's love for and use of history as a means of driving story;

- Agnes Nixon's bent toward social justice; and

- Henry Slesar's knack for suspense and puzzle-like plotting.

AND...they have to accomplish all that with Patrick Mulcahey's witty dialogue, Lynn and Bernie Lechowick's (KNOTS LANDING) employment of music and editing as key components in the storytelling, and Leonard Katzman and David Paulsen's (DALLAS) ability to deliver the big "watercooler moments" that will have audiences buzzing between episodes.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I thought Nancy Curlee's vision was more of the Marland/Long hybrid, but obviously, she quit the industry and was never able to bring her skills to other shows. 

She actually almost came close to replacing the Labines at GH (before Guza was hired). I've always wondered how that would have turned out. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I can't imagine her working out as she wasn't a big ratings grabber like he was at that point, but I'm sorry we never got to find out. Her work at GL, especially before 1993, was extremely intelligent and adult soap opera, in a genre that often sees adult as flashes of a bra being undone from the back as men with glistening chests staring into space. 

• 2 weeks later...