The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Members

I know, EVERYONE loved Woolery much better. And Susan Stafford was an elegant, sophisticated WOMAN, and then they got an airhead bimbo to replace HER. I actually quit watching Wheel when Chuck left. Sajak was just so DEVOID of personality. I don't know how that man ever got on TV in the first place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjGJpREzM0o&feature=related

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You and me both! The thing that i liked was the fact that Chuck was skilled at hitting the big money on the final spin.. it was a little bit of excitement in itself, since that orange 1,500$ space was right next to the bankrupt.. and he overshot on a few occasions. But Sajak just spins it with no determination and usually ends up on crap. And Chuck was a jolly, friendly kind of guy... someone you'd want to go have a drink with. Sajak and his beaty little eyes just looked like he was phoning it in all the time. Like he didn't want to be there, like he wasn't having a good time. His attitude seemed to always say, "I really wanted to be a big shot anchorman, but I got stuck with THIS schlock." At least that's how he comes across to me.

• Members

Oh my God. So I finally sat down and watched the episode of 1975's RHYME AND REASON that circulates.

Did Jaye P. really say "titties" on daytime television?!

It's a solid game, I think. It can only be entertaining if not everyone's trying to be funny like Nipsey (who doesn't seem comfortable with being the center of attention for most of the show). Lee Meriwether was having fun, but Jack Cassidy is a lameburger covered in lamesauce with lamefries and a lameshake on the side.

Eubanks always rushes games along. It's the one thing I hate about Newlywed Game.

• Members

Notice how during sweeps, they will position the 4th Round wheel in a way where he is able to hit $5,000. Because he just doesn't care to try to spin $5,000.

Harry Friedman should totally get guest hosts to do trial runs with new episodes in the summer, to see how viewers react to them. People with extensive gameshow resumes like Chuck Woolery(AGAIN) and especially Todd Newton.

If they try to replace Pat Sajak with another failed film/primetime star, Wheel is as good as dead. And please, no Mark Steines. :angry:

• Members

I think since Wheel skews SO OLD, Woolery would fit in beautifully. the thing about Woolery is that everyone likes him, he just so PERSONABLE. I don't think the success of Wheel in the 80's was due to Sajak at all, it was due to TIME SLOT. Wheel just didn't work as well in the mornings as it did in that "After the local news, before prime time" slot. What's wrong with Mark Steines? I think he's hot. Never seen him host a show, though. Seacrest might work at such a job, if he can get rid of that bitchy quality he's got.

• Members

It would, in a way, be like rehiring Brenda Dickson to play Jill if Jess Walton ever quit.

Apparently, Merv Griffin was so angered by Woolery quitting that they never spoke after that. There's also a rumor that he destroyed most of Woolery's run because of it, but I think that's a reaching assumption, especially considering how everyone recorded over their programming back then.

Yep! He's the only one who could successfully replace Pat Sajak.

• Members

NBC wanted Woolery to stay SO badly that they offered to pony up the money that Woolery was demanding that Merv refused to pay. Merv was then so EMBARRASSED and angry, that he told NBC to take a hike, and that's when and why it went into syndication. Woolery talk about it here (Scroll down a bit to the Nov. 8 podcast, that chats start at 56 minutes in):

http://www.stevefriess.com/podcast/index2006.htm

• Members

Yeah he gives a lot of his money to their cause, and volunteers at recruitment centers, etc... Though he seemed ok with that flaming gay guy coming on to him, so

I LOVE this clip of Meredith on Millionaire totally coming on to some poor airforce stud.

http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/who-wants-a-horny-tv-quiz-show-host/2jp34zlv

Archived