The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Members

I think CFF premiered already. I saw it listed as airing last night. I'm not too interested in that simply because I hate the "celebrities play with their families" format and I refuse to watch anything with Steve Harvey in it, and FF's been on for 17 years now (amazing that this version has become the longest-running by a long shot).

I'm hoping Pyramid and Match are better than the new TTTT.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CFF was a rerun last night. The new episodes haven't premiered yet. 

So you aren't digging the new TTTT? I thought this week's show was better than last week. I miss the panel siting on actual chairs instead of the sofa chairs and having the panel just blabs out questions at random without it going in order. I don't care for the band either and the mother as scorekeeper…LOL

• Members

I never watched anything pass the first round of the first episode lol so maybe I should give it a fairer chance. I love the general format of the game regardless, so no matter how they dress it up, it's always a good game.

Yeah, I can do without the band and Anthony's mom. I hate the NEED to make every single game show a big huge event. This is To Tell the Truth, for goodness's sake. This is what ya grandma watched as she did her daily crossword back in the day. I'd love to see just a nice, simple version produced for daytime again. I'm one of the few who liked the 2000 version (the first one I actually watched), and I think they basically got it right. I've really gotten a new appreciation for the old panel games, so maybe I just really want to see them make a quiet comeback.

I'm still waiting for my Split Second revival. I read a while back that they were considering it in 2003 when PC was cancelled, but ABC decided to give the slot back to the affiliates.

• Members

Yes, it's the last version that was aired. With this current one, TTTT joins TPIR as the only US game shows to be on the air in each decade since the 1950s. It's sort of a dubious honor for TTTT because the only successful versions of the show were in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s.

• Members

This Pyramid is pretty good! It's running just like the classic format, they're using the some of the old sound effects and theme, and most important, Michael Strahan is doing a good job. The categories and terms are reasonable (I thought the GSN version relied too much on pop culture topics). Anthony Anderson is an awful and obnoxious player but Sherri was good.

I wish they were doing these as just half-hour episodes.

• Members

The second episode is even better! Rosie and Kathy Najimy are both excellent players and so are the contestants. I really can't say enough about this edition of good ol' Pyramid! Just trim it to a half-hour and put it in syndication this fall! If Michael won't host it, there are some good candidates who would love to!

• Members

Great night of games!  Alec Baldwin is very green and needs some time. And match game needs better celebrity panel. I didn't recognize more than half of the panel….LOL

Match Game has always been a favorite of mine but Pyramid was better. Cant wait for next weekend!

After seeing Pyramid and Match Game tonight ….To Tell The Truth needs some retooling….the production values need to change and they need to get rid of the host and his mama…..LOL

• Members

I'm not feeling Match Game as much, as I kinda expected. I figured they would be trying way too hard, and they are, and the thing I hate most is that they'll make almost every question sex-related and the defense will be "But it's Match Game!" Old school MG was racy but not obnoxiously so. And you can see the horror in the contestants' eyes. Alec isn't bad, but the obnoxious sh!t they have him saying is. All of the panelists are good except for JB Smoove (see below), but Rosie and Michael Ian Black are the best. They clearly know how to walk the line between being entertaining and actually helping the contestants win.

JB Smoove is DREADFUL. He was literally begging for attention every five minutes, and he is an awful game-player. I can't believe that fcking clown actually held up a blank card. Tragic.

The upside is that the things I dislike are things that could potentially change. They did a great job keeping the actual games the same, and the pacing for both are good for what you can get in 2016, where the camera has to constantly be jumping and panning around. The sets for both shows are well-done (love the backdrop for Pyramid), near-perfect really.

I don't really get myself invested too much in primetime game shows anymore because I know they don't last. Syndicated strips are usually reigned in more, and none of these formats (TTTT included) really lend themselves to the "event TV" tag primetime game shows try so hard to achieve nowadays. I say it's time to put WWTBAM out of its misery (or bring it back to primetime) and let Pyramid slide in to be the 4th big syndie game next to J!, WoF, and FF. Match Game would work best as a late-night series, IMO, but that market is bloated by all of those awful talk shows. TTTT, I'm not so sure where that can go. Possibly daytime, but where?

TTTT is an old folks' game, plain and simple. There's not a single thing wrong with that, but any attempt to make it hip is going to look silly as hell. They might as well give it to Hallmark Channel and have the host/panel be older celebrities. Alison Arngrim would be perfect since LHOTP reruns are a big hit there. Even someone like Kim Zimmer.

• Members

TTTT needs to get rid of those awful sofa chairs and bring back the long desk/table with the slots for the panel's vote cards. Get rid of the band. They aren't needed. Get a new host. I can't stand the host or his mom. They are both horrible. Tonight's episode of Pyramid made it even more obvious with him part of it as a celebrity player.

Btw it was nice seeing Nene Leakes and her family on FF & Lance Bass/ hubby & family getting 0 points on FF….LOL. Lance and his husband make me sick…LOL. 

And I also like both sets of Pyramid and Match Game.

• Members

TTTT's host just needs to be someone who can keep the game going. No comedian, no one who is there to be funny. Your panelists can be funny, but still, it's To Tell the Truth. Target the older demo, forget about having comedians who are desperate to get a laugh anywhere they can find it, and put that sucker in the daytime after Golden Girls reruns, let it go off just in time for the old folks to switch it over the CBS for TPIR.

I already said what I had to say about Celebrity Feud, but oh how I wish they could pull off some all-star Feud specials. Too bad so many TV stars today consider such things beneath them - can you imagine an hourlong special with the casts of Grey's, Scandal, and HTGAWM? I don't use Shonda's programs, but that would be a huge event for ABC.

• Members

This season of Celebrity Family Feud, I think the closest they get to an all-star special will be the week with the AFC and NFC players as they'll be going against one another and not with their families. I think it would be hard to get people to agree to do a cast unless they got people from "The Chew" versus "The View" or some such. (Sorry for putting that in the universe.)

With Match Game, I felt they were trying too hard to make it overly sexual. The contestants seemed surprised at how it was in that way, which IMO wasn't a good thing. Alec Baldwin isn't a game show host, so I didn't expect much and hope he improves.

I enjoyed Pyramid the most, because other than the noise they used for the end game it felt right. The game play was reasonable, and it was so much better than the GSN remake, which had some categories that were ridiculous and poorer contestants overall. (Poorer as in less well-skilled at the game.)

To Tell The Truth was okay, but I think that kind of show isn't as good as a comedy format as that is what they seemed to want to do. They didn't even explain how the celebs would be taking turns and at times people spoke over one another which I didn't like. The one change I did like was the Q&A of the 2 people left segment after the original truth teller was shown. 

• Members

Yes, I totally agree with you about the GSN Pyramid. From the very first episode, you could tell these people either had never watched the show before or just weren't that bright, celebrities included. Tonight, Rosie, Sherri, and Kathy were all good players, and the contestants were legit, too.

Pyramid is just such a great game, and it's hard to screw it up. GSN's version showed that you can't run on style alone - a lot of people were praising it before it premiered because "ooh, they remixed the theme!" and other really unimportant things. I thought Donnymid was better by far, but if the current run keeps on the same track it set tonight, it could easily be the best version since 1988. Which I need, because I was too disappointed when summer vacay hit and I realized GSN dropped it from their morning schedule.

Archived