The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Members
In answer to your question, I believe that most of the beloved TPIR music cues were made in either 1972 or 1983. In 1994, new "contemporary" cues were created (specifically for the Doug Davidson syndicated show, though these also found their way onto the CBS Daytime show), and many more were created in 2003. Even though Bob Barker was obviously still host, many old cues were played less often beginning in 1994, and this really accelerated in 2003.

During Drew Carey's first season as host (2007-08), Roger Dobkowitz (who was with TPIR since 1972) remained as de-facto Executive Producer of TPIR, so the traditional music still remained (mixed in with the 1994 and 2003 music). After Dobkowitz was fired (because Fremantle wanted to go in a "different direction"), the new producers began to make radical changes, and this is when (almost) all the classic cues disappeared in favor of still newer music. To tell you the truth, I honestly don't know if TPTB gradually phased out the old music or if they eliminated it all at once. (Nor do I know exactly when the old music was gone, as I wasn't watching at the time, given how awful Drew was in his early years.)

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've done a little bit of research (and also got a 6-month membership to the TVPMM) and it seems that the various "old" packages were in 1972, 1974, 1976, and 1983. The 1976 reel has all of the named tunes such as Splendido, The Cats, Amen Brother Herbert, Second Thoughts, etc. I heard most of all of these very, very frequently when I would tape the show and watch it after school in high school (2005ish). I stopped watching maybe a month after Drew started, and I didn't watch much at all again until earlier this year, and boom, none of the old songs are played AT ALL besides the theme and Come on Down music. That music was iconic!

Especially this gem, which just puts me back in my grandma's kitchen circa 1994 every time I hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvHo4DByGFY

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

When GSN aired TPIR reruns, none of the episodes that featured three very short-lived pricing games (all from 1978) were reran. Thanks to game show legend Wink Martindale, we can now see clips of those games.

Finish Line had the exact same rules as Give or Keep (a retired pricing game that lasted from 72-90). It was actually intended to replace Give or Keep (which was taken out of the rotation during this time); however, Finish Line was retired because of mechanical issues.

Shower Game was a pricing game which was played for a car. One reason for its retirement was because it (unintentionally) offended Jewish viewers. (They stated that the design of the set reminded them of the showers in the concentration camps.)

Telephone Game was a rather strange game that also was played for a car. It was retired simply because the producers felt it was "lame." (Telephone Game should not be confused with The Phone Home Game, which ran from 83-89. In that game, somebody would call into the studio and assist a contestant, and the two of them would then split as much as $15,000 in winnings.)

Wink was also kind enough to post a very early playing of Punch-a-Bunch. The game's setup was quite different in its first few playings. Punch-a-Bunch was subsequently reworked into the familiar pricing game that TPIR fans love to this day.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived