The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Members

Controversy over a ruling on Yesterday's aired episode of "Jeopardy". Trebek is catching TONS of flak as are the show's producers. Here's the question, since Jeopardy is not a network show, it's apparently not bound, nor is answerable to a Standards and Practices department. Since misspelled answers have been accepted before in final Jeopardy, thee is a great degree of outrage toward the show. I'd like to see and know exactly what the rules are regarding this, I would think Jeopardy would have a set of rules in WRITING from a legal standpoint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSvl7uKysaE

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/05/showbiz/jeopardy-wrong-answer-child/

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm kind of torn. Yeah, it didn't affect the outcome, but in the interest of fairness, this issue needs to be clarified for future shows, or it could happen again... and if someone actually loses because of it, there coud be legal ramifications. I've seen writing so illegeible that Alex asks for verbal confirmation of the contestant's answer. What about that? I still remember sitting in front of my TV... I think I was like 12 or 13, and watching an episode of "Bullseye", and a contestant with a VERY strong southern drawl was judged incorrect in his answer to a question. The answer as "Rockefeller", and the man said "Rockerfeller"... I totally would have sued over that crap. And he lost the game because of it.

• Members

The only time offhand I can remember a contestant on Jeopardy! having a correct answer despite an incorrect spelling was when Melissa Joan Hart misspelled "February" (she left out the first "r") in the Final Jeopardy! question during a Celebrity Jeopardy! episode she did with Fred Savage and Alicia Witt in 1998 (I've seen it on YouTube recently). But since it was for charity, of course she was going to win the money for that.

I DO think it's fair when someone loses money in a Final Jeopardy! for only putting a last name (such as "Roosevelt" without Teddy or FDR) when there's more than one obvious answer to consider and a first name is required--I can think of at least one example from FJ! where this happened--but as for this? I know he would've lost anyway, but I still think he should've got the money he risked. I think it's pretty obvious what his answer was, so I call bullshit on the judges here.

• Members

Regarding the whole Jeopardy! thing, I thought that they should have accepted the child's misspelled answer. That being said, I thought the resulting outcry was over the top. And the second place finisher only gets $2,000, so his winnings weren't affected at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Thursday's episode can be found on both cbs.com and YouTube. Here is a short recap of the segments in which Bob appeared:

*Before the third one-bid, the big doors opened and Bob got a roaring welcome. Though he is in great shape for his age, he sadly had quite a bit of trouble walking onto the stage. However, he still is as witty as always: he thanked Drew for inviting him to TPIR for his 90th birthday, and joked that he hoped to come back for his 100th! Bob then introduced a pet who is up for adoption, and thanked Drew for continuing his spay/neuter plug at the end of every episode.

*Before the fourth one-bid, Bob actually called a contestant to "Come on Down!" It was noted that this was the first time in TPIR history that Bob ever did this.

*Bob presented the second showcase (and impressively made it onto the turntable, despite his walking difficulties), which included a trip to St. Louis. (Bob mentioned his affinity for the St. Louis Cardinals.) By coincidence, the showcase was presented to the contestant whose name was called by Bob earlier in the show, and therefore he quipped that he and that contestant were "practically soulmates." Unfortunately, that showcase was not won.

As the closing credits rolled, a gigantic cake made its way onto the stage. I wish Bob a happy belated birthday, and thank him for the wonderful memories he gave so many fans.

• Members

I also am not a fan of Drew's. The best that I can say about him is that he has gone from terrible to watchable.

I was truly surprised when they invited Bob back to the show for his 90th Birthday, because I thought all bridges had been burned between him and the TPIR producers. A couple of years ago, TPIR offered trips to The Calgary Stampede and Sea World, and Bob protested loudly. This, in turn, likely led to Bob being rudely excluded from the 40th Anniversary show that aired last year. Thankfully, this nice tribute did help to make up for that.

You may not know this, but a very ugly (IMO) change was made to TPIR's set this year. (It should be noted that this wasn't Drew's idea, but rather that of executive producer Mike Richards.) Specifically, the turntable area is no longer carpeted; instead, the carpet has been replaced with a shiny, reflective blue floor. (Maybe I'm neurotic, but I loved the carpeting as it looked "comforting" and aesthetically pleasing.) The only rationale behind the change was Richards' belief that carpeting is a relic of game shows of yesteryear.

Archived