The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Members

The Wheels, The Deals, Is Your Life In Jeopardy!? Or are you merely trying to be a Millionaire? But Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader? Is the risk work the Price?

I thought I'd create this thread since we had such wonderful momentum with the GL replacement thread and I could probably count on at least two of my fellow SON-ers, All My Shadows and alphanguy to back me up. Plus, there are a couple game show items that kind of warrant such discussion:

So here we go.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lots of changes for Millionaire This Season. Including Million Dollar Tournament of Champions during November Sweeps and a new, funky money tree that guarantees a contestants walks out with $5000 after answering the first five questions correctly.

http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-plans-the-tournament-of-ten-for-1000000/

http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/rumor-control-who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-gets-a-new-money-chain-after-all/

And of course, our worst nightmares have come true. The Free Spin has been retired and replaced with "Free Play." Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

http://gameshows.about.com/b/2009/07/29/first-look-at-wheel-of-fortune-new-free-play-wedge.htm

• Members

They have changed Millionaire here in Australia to a show called "The Hot Seat" not as many contestants and no fastest finger. All the contestants have a chance of getting the money. One contestant goes first and when they get it wrong the next person gets to have a go, but the prize money drops.

We get your Price is Right & Jeopardy here on cable.

We have one called "The Phone" here where a cell phone would ring and a person would pick it up and they get asked if they would like to win $20,000.00 and if they say yes they get sent to a place somewhere in the city in which they are playing. When they say yes a 2nd cell phone will ring and if that person also says yes they have to find the 1st person. Then they work together to find the 4 tube's that will lead them to the money. But the twist is you can lose money by not getting to places on time and losing one of the tubes where they may have to buy the missing clue from the prize money. At the end they will need to answer 3 question's about all the tasks that they did. The 1st person to answer them will be told where the briefcase with the money is hidden. Once they have that they decide whether to keep the lot or share with the other person.

• Members

Ewww, don't mention 5th Grader in this thread...ever! Dumbest game show I've ever seen. Sure, the premise is "cute," even though I'm beyond tired of the "suspenseful"/"Will they keep playing or take the money?!?!?!?!?!??!" game shows, but the questions are, frankly, too [!@#$%^&*] easy. "What's the capital of Spain?" Twenty minutes and two commercial breaks later, the contestant finally gives a freaking answer and it's wrong anyway.

• Members

Yes, me and bellcurve may diasgree on Y&R most of the time, but we LOVE our game shows! I really wish more of those lost shows from the 70's still existed... I was like a kid in a candy store back then, almost any time of day, you could find a game show. I couldn't watch them during my mom's soaps, though. Although I watched Y&R with her religiously, I was always bummed to have to relinquish the set to her during Search For Tomorrow and The Doctors. My favorites back then had to be Pyramid, Wheel, Name That Tune, and The Money Maze. I know there is at least one eppy of The Money Maze floating around, but it's not on youtube.. I wish somebody would put that thing up! At least the opening credits! I could talk for years on those game shows... I was SO upset to hear that ALL of the 1974 Dennis James Name That Tune are destroyed. What I woudldn't give to see "Ring That Bell" one more time. They's play the song, then the two contestants had to RUN about 20 feet or so, and pull on this rope to ring the bell. It looked like a large, golden rope with a huge drapery tassle on the bottom, and the "bell" was this glass chandelier affair (It seemed glass ot me at the time, but I suppose it could have been made of lucite) that lit up red when it was rung. Eventually, they dispensed with the running part, as the women in high heels always lost, and started falling on thier asses. And they took the chandeliers down, and put them inside a podium with a lockout buzzer. Some of those men got DAMN rambunctious pulling that rope, and many times that chandelier would be swinging like it was in a hurricane! A couple of time, I swear, those things almost came down.

• Members

Here's a clip I found of another one I LOVED... and that is Cross-Wits. I thought it was really good and should've lasted longer. I think it was syndicated... here it aired on the NBC affiliate at 6:30 PM. (I'm just doing links to youtube stuff, since embedding seems to be freaking the baord out for some reason and giving people error messages.)

• Members

Interesting. The Hot Seat I've heard about from BuzzerBlog's site. It sounds confusing as hell. LOL.

"The Phone" sounds like Friend or Foe meets Amazing Race. I love game shows that not only test witz, but ethics.

LOL. 5th Grader blows, I will be the first to admit. Maybe its syndication dearth will speed up game play and make it interesting(i.e. Deal or no Deal).

From that era, I loved Child's Play and Tattletales with Bert Convey.

Never seen it before. I've been told it's a great game show, though.

• Members

I know one thing... I'm still TOTALLY heartbroken over Pyramid losing out as the CBS replacement. I still think A 60 MINUTE anything IS A MISTAKE, unless it's a talk show. They should have just done BOTH shows at 30 minutes each. I wonder if the pilots are gonna get leaked out? I'd like to at least SEE them. And this time they really seemed to get it RIGHT, I wish they'd try to syndicate. Pyramid is so darned exciting when done well... I long for good stuff like THIS again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj8ybfSiVwE&feature=related

• Members

It was extremely suspicious that they developed several different game pilots. If ATWT is next, I'd love to see Pyramid in it's timeslot.

NBC: Network For News

ABC: Network For Soaps

CBS: Network For Games

And ITA: I am still at a loss for words about Pyramid losing out to cheapass Let's Make a Deal.

BTW, the show is being shot out of some "studio" or "stage" in Las Vegas. Don't you love it? CBS gets to make this sh!t remake on the cheap.

Archived