Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A letter from a read in the September 24, 1985 Digest laments what has been done to Liza, her behavior with Hogan is out of character and does not compare to her behavior with Steve and Travis. They then say they were relieved when Sherry Mathis left because she no longer had to be subjected to what was going on, and they wish her luck in her future career.

I wonder how many other fans felt this way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

From the October 1955 Radio TV Mirror. Daytime Diary, a synopsis of each soap. I'm not sure how far behind this was.

Young Melanie Pritchard has been very frank about the reason for her trip to Henderson - her desire to catch a rich husband. Is her frankness a clever way of disarming her victims? Is Marge Bergman right when she finds herself unable to take Melanie to her heart? And what about Nathan Walsh, who seemed like Melanie's logical quarry - until certain unexpected changes took place in the Bergman household?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I remember when Tina Sloan began as Patti in 1976 (Patti #10 according to IMDb) and was happy to see her again, having enjoyed her work on SOMERSET. No idea what was supposed to happen with Patti or why she disappeared again. I thought it might have been due to the writer change to Henry Slesar, but I think that was in the summer of '77 (the Wade Collins kidnapping) and I'm pretty sure Patti was long gone by then. I seem to remember that she dated David Sloan (Louis Arlt) but I could be wrong about that.

Looking through SOD synopses she first shows up in the fall of 1976. Jo had been shot in the climax of the Chris Delon storyline and was paralyzed for a few months, and asked Stu to call Patti when she was about to go under the knife for an operation that might or might not allow her to walk again (SOD November '76). Patti comes back in the Dec '76 synopsis, with Len in pursuit (I don't remember seeing Len) but their marriage is breaking up because she had an affair. You'd think this other man would be following her to Henderson, but I don't believe that happened. The January '76 synopsis says that Len returned to West Virginia with their son Chris and Patti stayed in Henderson with Traci and got a waitressing job at the Hartford House.

And that's it. No more references to Patti. The synopses for the next few months are busy with Eunice Wyatt's murder, Steve and Liza, and Bruce and Amy, so whatever happened with Patti was too minor to include. That was the end of Patti for nearly a decade (a decade in which she apparently didn't age at all, though her daughter grew up).

• Members

I have an interview with Tina from her Search run somewhere, and she says something about she thinks Patti is only pretending to be nice, so she can manipulate Jo. She thought Patti would be another scheming character, like Kate. I'm not sure if this was a story plan or just her own desire.

• Members

I've only seen a little of her - I should watch while I can. I wonder if SFT should have brought her in a few years earlier. The whole idea of that ad campaign about her being the new Alexis seems ridiculous but I've only ever heard positive things about her work. I do wonder why no one else took her up after Search ended.

That picture of her from 1977 is stunning.

Isn't it odd that I feel such a strong emotional connection to a show I have not really seen very much of...

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Carl I'm very connected with this show as well. I watched maybe three or four months of the AOL videos and I fell in love. There was a big gap I missed and I was waiting in hopes of catching up (because it was so good), but I never did and then they pulled all those episodes. :( I regret not watching everything I could at the time. This show, even when it wasn't at it's peak, is just so special. I'd love to see it from beginning to end. Unlike ATWT (which I do love), I found this shows episodes from the 50s and 60s to be so exciting and I'd love to see something from the 70s.

• Members

I never got to see most of those either - just bits and pieces.

I agree that the earlier episodes are quite good - I was fascinated by the one with Don Knotts and the "door" into his mind. There's also such a lovely, understated performance by Mary Stuart in some episodes, my favorite being the Christmas episode from the mid-60s, which was all singing and contemplation.

Mary Stuart and Larry Haines were such an unbeatable team, it's a shame no other show snapped them both up, especially since they both went on to prove they could play other characters.

• Members

You've probably already seen these and they're not exactly 70s (just the end of the decade) but this person uploaded some rare clips of Liza after Steve's death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC7JSqUKTNw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3_IMz-Qd-U&feature=related

I have some Search interviews from the 70s I will try to post at some point. It's kind of sad seeing Carl Low interviewed jointly with Mary Stuart, as I believe he got the here's-your-hate-what's-your-hurry type of exit. I'm really glad that Mary and Larry Haines managed to avoid that somehow.

Edited by CarlD2