Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

It IS amazing when you think about all the great stories of that era from so many shows -- not just from the ones you've listed, vetsoapfan, but ATWT, OLTL, GL, Y&R, RYAN'S HOPE....  Even GH had a few good ones despite being, from all accounts, in a major, critical slump in the mid-'70's.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sherry Mathis is sensational as always in those scenes. I always feel like she is an 'unsung' actress in this genre--she's rarely praised by the so called critically acclaimed critics in this genre. Each time a clip of SM's Liza's emerges, I am always amazed by her talent and beauty. 

And Mignon seems like a helluva of a character. I wish more episodes from that time would emerge as I'd love to see them. 

Wasn't Helene also doing voodoo on some of the people in Henderson at this time? I could've sworn I read a synopsis where they said Carolyn went blind because of a voodoo doll. 

• Members

Renata was killed in a fire, wasn't she, the night of her wedding to David? Was that from Helene's hand? 

This is all so Dark Shadows, but it really works - at least these clips do. I wonder how SFT fans felt though. 

Anita Keal is luminous. At first I was disappointed at not seeing more of Sherry, but Anita took me away. 

She looks a lot like the woman who played the wife on Allo Allo.

• Members

That I don't know. At least the actress wasn't out of work for long, as she landed EDGE in short order.

What was the reaction of the Jo/Martin pairing? He was younger than she, did all sorts of shady things and just didn't seem like a good match for her at all. Plus, poor John Aniston had to speak with that awful fake Southern accent for years on end (immediately following three years of playing an Italian or Latin character on Love of Life). Thank goodness he has not had to speak with an accent in his signature role, Victor on DAYS.

• Members

Great the these clips have turned up.Leads me to believe that there is much more 'classic' stuff around as actorsdirectors may have collected material for whatever reason.

Search was ahead of the game here anticipating the more out there approach of the 80's. Which, in small doses,was to me,acceptable. as long as the crazier stuff was balanced with more traditional fare and not the whole show.

It was a shame Mignon was short lived as she could have been a disruptor to Travis and Liza for years.

I always thought SFT had better sets/lighting ertc than the other P&G shows at that time.

Such a waste that within a few years the show was destroyed.

• Members

I don't think it was very popular. IMHO, Aniston was stiff, wooden, and uncharismatic on both LoL and SFT. In 1976, the show brought on an actor named Paul Dumont to play the role of Chris Delon, and it looked like TPTB were testing the chemistry between Mary Stuart and Dumont in hopes of pairing them romantically, but Dumont was dull as dishwater, and quickly let go.

Please register in order to view this content

Aniston did not produce any sparks with Stuart either, but this time (to my changrin), SFT went ahead and had his character marry Jo and remain on the show for 6 years. Blechh.

The actors who had the most chemistry with Mary Stuart were Robert Mandan (as Sam Reynolds) and Anthony George (as Tony Vincent). Jo's on-screen romances with both these men were very popular.

For the record, I was okay with Jo's first husband Keith Barron (although he did not last long, expiring as he did shortly after the premiere in 1951) and Arthur Tate (who lasted 11 years before getting killed off), but of all Jo's love interests, Sam was the best, followed by Tony.

• Members

Maybe Stuart and Paul Dumont did not get along, which would explain why the show axed him so quickly, yet kept Aniston around for 6 years, even though he had no discernible chemistry with Stuart either.

BTW, MS acknowledged in her biography that Tony George started picking fights with her about what she considered small things, and that their relationship went south.

Does everybody here know that Jo and Stu Bergman were actually step-brother and sister, thanks to their widowed parents marrying each other? It was a fact never mentioned in the show's later years, just like GH seems to have forgotten that Gail Adamson Baldwin had adopted Monica.

• Members

I love when long forgotten soap facts like this are brought up. Like when someone posted that the first person to discover Jill and Phillips affair on Y&R was Lorie Brooks and she went out the the Chancellor estate to make things uncomfortable at Christmas. 

• Members

Internet fans were shocked once, when I wrote that in the early days of Y&R, a friend of Snapper Foster's convinced him to go to a cathouse to hook up with a prostitute, and when they got to the front door, Jill opened it, infuriating a (hypocritical) Snapper enough that he smacked her across the face and stormed off.

The trouble is, I never know what anecdotes or long-lost storyline points other viewers already know or don't know.