OLTL : Actress returns?

• Members

Ruh Roh. We bet Babs ain't a happy sistah this afternoon! Remember when we told you Guiding Light's Gina Tognoni became the most sought after soaper in daytime on the heels of GL being unceremoniously cancelled by CBS? Well, it looks like Brian Frons might have won this round. In today's Suds Report, TV Guide Canada's Nelson Branco reveals sources have Tognoni "this close" to signing on to reprise her breakout role as Kelly Cramer Buchanan on One Life to Live. Branco goes on to report Tognoni allegedly turned down roles on The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful because she wanted to stay in Gotham with her new husband. Too bad, Tognoni would have KILLED as Y&R's Victoria Newman!

Sources tell DC's Guiding Light blogger Melody Aikels TeleNext did everything in their power to keep Tognoni, in lieu of what happens with GL and possible cable talks. If GL's top tier actors are beginning to bolt, this doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture about the show's survival off CBS, however Aikels hears talks with cablers are ongoing.

Source: http://daytimeconfidential.com/

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R at the moment wouldn't know what to do with Victoria, or most strong female characters, but I can't say I'm looking forward to Kelly again. They had run out of stories for her some time before Gina left and most of the stories they gave Heather Tom made the character look awful.

• Members

I'm finding it hard to follow some of this. Maybe her contract is up this year. I don't know. But it would seem to me that none of them could really do anything until they knew if GL was moving to another network or not.

Or maybe all their contracts end when GL moves. It is weird that she would be able to sign or even get close to signing anything at this point. At least to me.

• Webmaster

If Guiding Light moves to another network and an actors contract isn't up before the show transitions over, that actor is required to stay on Guiding Light until their contract is up. If Tognoni is granted early termination by TeleNext or if Guiding Light does not continue elsewhere, she will be allowed to seriously consider other offers. Until then, she's going no where.

• Members

Unless their is some type of "out" clause in her contract with GL, she is either at the end of her cycle or the cast and crew of GL know that the show is not being picked up and have already begun to look for jobs elsewhere. I agree Tognoni would've ROCKED as Y&R's Victoria Newman and I also think she would ROCK as a recast Greenlee on AMC if it does come down to that.

As for Kelly, so much has happened since she left the role and Tom took it over that I don't know if I'd even be interested in seeing the character back in Llanview.

• Members

Oh God, NO! I **hated** her as Kelly. Absolutely despised her version of the character. Since I know we can't get Heather Tom (the best Kelly) back, I'd really prefer that they recast. Seriously, I even liked Tracy Melchoir's Kelly better than Gina Tognoni's.

• Members

Blech, I think OLTL is not good, but if my fave must go there, I wish they'd give her a new character. The writing for Kelly has always been crap and the character is dull. I don't want GT stuck in the situation that HT is in now on B&B. Plus, I know they'll pair her with Easton and that in itself makes me never want to watch....

• Members

I sure think and hope this is true. I loved Gina Tognoni as Kelly. I hope Dan Gautier will return as Kevin Buchanan too. I think storyline wise, they should have them split up for good after arriving in Llanview together but having trouble. A nice side-note would be to have Kelly's baby with Duke turn out to be Kevin's so to wipe out the mess that was Duke & Kelly slutting around.

You must be the ONE that liked Tracy Melchior as Kelly. She was absolutely horribly mis-cast in the role and looked 15 years older than Tognoni and Heather Tom.

Archived