CBS on the edge of cultural change

• Members

Many of you probably saw this. This is from the Sunday 5/30/2009 "Personality Parade" section (inside front cover) of Parade Magazine. The URL is given here, but I don't think it links directly to that.

ETA: The full column is linked here.

The image and caption below also appeared.

van_jake.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But Nicholas Galbraith and Jake Silverman would do it for you, right? I somehow think of Parade as a 'granny magazine'. (Probably wrong about that). So, for me, to see soaps addressed in there...and especially the 'gaying' of CBS....I was surprised.

• Members

Oh, it's not them (the actors), though I could do without Van's bitchface. You know it's all about the story/hype/etc lol. If it was NG and Silbermann, I'd flove it because then they could write a story on how ATWT has repeatedly squandered potential for many years now, and not just with Luke and his storylines.

• Members

This bitch is out her damn mind. I guess being on the edge of cultural means stipulating a one year kissing ban on the homos and having Olivia and Natalia act like two spinsters. And waiting 36 years for Y&R to *maybe* have a gay character from an established family and for B&B, about fashion and set in LA, to not have ANY gay people.

Go have a seat over there, Babs, we're done.

• Members

It's not CBS, it's P&G that's on the edge of cultural change. CBS and Barbara Bloom are taking credit for shows they are cancelling? OMFG. I hate that network even more after reading about this. I know the questioner pointed out CBS, but Bloom should have mentioned her "partners at Procter and Gamble" since the network made sure to mention talking with "our partners at Procter and Gamble" to try to shift part of the blame to them when the decision was made to cancel GL.

Oh, and there was no "one-year kissing ban", that's a combination of Nuke fan paranoia and later, typical snarky exaggeration by Nelson Branco. Even if there ever was a ban, it's a plain fact from the actual amount of time between kisses that it didn't last as long as a year. It is also long long since in the past. The characters now kiss practically every time they are on.

• Members

Y&R is reportedly going great guns with

, to debut this summer, and B&B apparently alluded to the idea that Clarke Garrison may be bisexual (I didn't see that). Also, P&G always have had to get storyline approval from CBS...so we can imagine there was involvement or even encouragement from the net.

By all accounts, the kissing ban was a P&G thing, and NOT a CBS thing. P&G was afraid of Reverend Wildmon and his ilk, and even set up that customer comment line to gauge public opinion. It was shortly after that 800# that Nuke kissed.

Yes, all of that is true.

• Members

With a couple exceptions, CBS has always struck me as an old fashion conservative network. I am always surprised when their programming does something daring or different. I find their prime time line up to be completely formulaic and uninteresting, but it is does well so the audience must like these shows.

It is pretty clear that P&G is responsible for the kissing ban/s on ATWT and GL. CBS did not seem to have a problem with the gay story. Why would they? Most of the ads during these two soaps are for P&G products so it isn't like the network would lose ad revenue whatever happened. It was P&G that was afraid of a consumer boycott.

• Members

Doesn't B&B get credit for having tranny Donna frontburner for the past two years? :lol:

Forget about the gay issue...under BB, all the CBS soaps have become homogenized white bread soaps. I give P&G some credit for Nuke, but none at all for Otalia. Olivia whored her way through the menfolk of Springfield. There wasn't nobody left for her to bat her eyes at. So they stuck her with the blandest, most inoffensive woman character there was.

• Members

That's if you believe there was a "kissing ban." I don't.

As for Y&R or B&B, that's just catching up after the P&G soaps and AMC have forged the trail. Having gay characters now, years later, is not "on the edge of cultural change."

Archived