• Members

I was reading the wiki on Fox Crane during lunch and I came to a realization; Passions was a show with very interesting characters, but horrible plots.

Certainly, a lot happened in Harmony during the years Passions was on air.  But, the pace was bizarre.  A single day would last for weeks, a single discussion could last for days, and plots, characters, and sets would just disappear without explanation.

However, the characters were unique and well rounded.  Fox as a young, rich, playboy also discussed how his issues with being neglected by his mother caused him to obsess over the love of women who were kind to him.  Other soaps have had boarding school raised rich guys, (Nick Newman), but few allowed them to realize the impact of their childhood on their current relationships.  Theresa was not just a social climbing vixen trying to get what she envied in others, but she was more interested in creating a stable family for her children that was missing when her father abandoned her family.  Rachel Cory and Erica Kane had similar backgrounds but they were so much less self-aware in their 20s.  Dr. Eve Russel discussed prejudice both in her own relationship with Julian, as well as in her expectations for her daughters love lives, that are rarely talked about in daytime.

I would also note the racial, cultural, and sexual diversity in Harmony was different from most soaps.  There was humor in the surname Lopez-Fitzgerald given how each character was forced to use the full hyphenate.  However, think of how rare it is for latinx characters to actually maintain their cultural heritage in daytime.  Chad's foray in bisexuality was particularly unique.  He was not using men for schemes or underhanded plans, he was actually tormented by his desires in ways that most men in daytime are not allowed to discuss.  The gays of DAYS experience difficulties with coming out, but their struggles are all with external acceptance, not self acceptance. 

So, while it's easy to write off Passions as a failed experiment in paranormal plotting, I am beginning to understand how truly revolutionary it was.  

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Cast members from NBC's Passions will join me live in The Locher Room on Friday, July 9th at 3 p.m. EST / 12 p.m. PST for a reunion. Joining me to reminisce about their time spent in Harmony are Charles Divins (Chad-Harris Crane), Galen Gering (Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald), Lindsay Korman-Hartley (Theresa Lopez-Fitzgerald), Brook Kerr (Whitney Russell), Eric Martsolf (Ethan Winthrop) and McKenzie Westmore (Sheridan Crane).