• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

One of my favorite memories (although I suspect I'm exaggerating it) was when Pilar overheard Ivy and Rebecca talking trash about Theresa, declared "You bitches!" and got into a mini cat fight with them both.

So, we have Pilar (maid), Grace (innkeeper), Eve (doctor) and Beth (barista). Tabitha wouldn't have to work for a living, but maybe it would have been interesting in the early years, to keep up appearances, if she had some sort of seemingly altruistic job like volunteering. It would be a good way of keeping tabs on residents.

• Members

I mean I suppose I don't want to read too much into it but between his fondness for writing women obsessed with a man and the fact he neglected to build female characters a life outside of their romantic life, I am starting to suspect there is something to my supposition that Reilly was a bit misogynistic, at least in his writing.

• Members

Totally agree..and think of what fun Passions could have been if he had embraced his inner queen and just wrote a fun camp mess..instead of a camp mess which would be fun one moment and then the next would make me feel like someone using it as therapy!

• Members

I wish I had found Passions campy and fun like some did, but I found Reilly's relentless misogyny so disturbing. There was a real anger and mistrust of women in his writing. I always thought JFP's AW was bad, but Passions was on a whole other level.

• Members

I agree on that...the fun part was the supernatural aspects, i.e. Tabby's latest scheme and that was really the only part of it I watched (who coudlnt love a show that had a guest appearance from Dr. Bombay!) The model guys with shaved chests and jutting pecs and the women who were waiting around for a man part I skipped.

• Members

Meh. It wasn't so bad in the beginning. Everyone remembers the absolute train wreck trash it became though. 

I loved the show from 1999-2001 and I won't apologize for it! lol

It also gets hate because it replaced Another World. For the record, I'd rather have Another World ... but I enjoyed Passions for the first few years. It hit at the right time for me. Nostalgia is strong

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by KMan101

• Members

In the beginning, the show was kind of entertaining in a weird but fresh way. I often laughed out loud at the dialogue. I watched most of the first few years, but then it started to go off the rails...and that's saying a lot for Passions! The whole Vincent/blackmailer story towards the end was beyond offensive in so many ways. I agree that sometimes JER seemed to be working out some personal issues through his stories. The focus on religion and Catholicism, also on DAYS, sort of came off as a writer torn between his conflicting views.

It was such a unique...and yes, odd...show. I do wonder if it would be the best candidate for a revival especially on a streaming service targeting younger viewers...Peacock, for example. I think of the success of the Sabrina revival on Netflix since Passions exists in a similar world.

• Members

I think it's prime for a revival. It could work. It gets some nice traction on social media. Like others have said, the tweens are now in their 30s.

I agree on JER. I checked out around 2002, returned around 2005 but couldn't stick with it. It was soooo offensive, trashy, bad, etc. The list goes on. I was so turned off. Which sucked because I enjoyed the show FOR WHAT IT WAS, in the beginning, like you said. It was different.

I think what frustrates me about JER is he can actually structure a story but ... you know ...

• Members

I think a of those former viewers who "grew up" with Passions would watch...and if they do the combo with the supernatural, romance, and handsome guys, new teen viewers would watch.

I know the Daytime Emmys lowered the number of required episodes to be considered for awards to 35 episodes within a year. I think revivals should be thought of in a shorter format, less episodes per season to make them more financially viable.

• Members

Naw, I watched it from the beginning too and it was always bad to me. Repetitive dumb dialogue, sitcom lighting, bad acting, terrible plots. It's the first soap I ever saw premiere and I was so disappointed. I spent a lot of hours in the summer of 99 trying to get into this show.